What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

NO ANSWER--ELO

Their 1st album which was released in 1971, included a top 10 hit in Britain called 10538 OVERTURE. The song nor the album made any dent here in the states. After Roy Wood left it became Jeff Lynne's band and their 2nd album, called ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA II, had the cover of Berry's ROLL OVER BEETHOVEN and the rest is history. So this 1st album, unfortunately, got lost in the shuffle. Finally, in 2003 EPIC LEGACY had the good sense to reissue it on a remastered cd. Because originally ELO was supposed to be a one time side project of THE MOVE, it was during the same studio sessions that THE MOVE recorded MESSAGE FROM THE COUNTRY. One of the best British releases of that year.
Anyway, this album is nothing like what ELO became, because it was more influenced by Wood than Lynne.

10538 Overture was just used in a movie in the last year or so . Here it is.

frampton-comes-alive.jpg

Those kinds of albums are more about actual collecting than acquiring. I took me years to figure that out..I think all great collections of anything have many singular items you cant find elsewhere, 30 years ago when I was clueless I blindly thought record collecting meant having stuff like every Bad Company album..Still kind of cool but not very diverse or special, or valuable, or ultimately interesting. I'm reading a book on great record collections and the collections are all nothing I had dreamt of. But they are truly great collections because of just that..
I will never have more than a few records like this, but it definitely makes for a richer collection.

Utah All State Chorus 1961
A Musical Souvenir

rps20181217_212140.jpg rps20181217_212301.jpg

The performance here is just excellent, and well recorded. Record plays like new.

A record like this makes me ponder it's history. Maybe someone hoped the kids or grandkids would cherish it, then it ends up at the thrift store.

:dunno:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom