Who is Absolutely Proud of Their Vintage SS Stereo

I'm not against taking pride in one's system. A lot of thought, trial and error and money go into most of our stereos.

If one is lucky enough to love the sound after all of the careful consideration and work is done, damn right be proud and enjoy the music.

Vintage is one more aspect since much vintage gear needs work to perform to spec. It becomes a labor of love for a lot of us.

None of the components in my system worked properly when I got them. Now, after a lot of work, everything works well and sounds great to me.

I have a Marantz 2215b and 2245. Dual 1019 with vintage AT and Pickering carts and a 1990s Onkyo CD player. Everything is run through Klipsch KG 2.5 w/ Crites diaphragms, a Klipsch sub and restored C-V VS-120s.

My stereo might not look like much, be worth a lot of money or even appeal to anyone else but I'm damn proud of it.

I like to brag about my vintage systems. Nothing too high-end, but my gear it old, and it's worth bragging about that they still look and sound the way they should.

I do it in a non-annoying way... not really bragging, but just talking about them.

People brag about their classic cars, so why not brag about my classic stereo systems?

I never looked for the vintage "sound" so much as the entire vintage "look" that my wife and I enjoy so much. When we decided that we wanted to go vintage in our decor she let me loose to do what I wanted. So I started hit and miss for a bedroom system then figured out about after six months the direction I wanted to go.

I love this hobby so much and that is what I brag about (because bragging about ones possessions is not very classy)......I dont care how cheap or beat up something is, I want to look, tinker and hear what it sounds like. If I dont like it or just find it average I will sell it or store it.....but I am always glad I got to learn about it and store that info in my memory banks. I also love that I have so many different speakers and receivers and amps and tuners and EQs that I have a zillion (yes, one zillion) different ways to listen to music.......

Oh and any page sucks without pictures........

20181218_091413.jpg

I will never say vintage is better, because its rather a silly argument comparing with such broad strokes. I am proud of my Kenwood 700M and 700C of which I bought brand new 44 years ago! To say nothing will beat them, nope, not saying that. The pride part is that they do sound great to my ear after a professional rebuild, and the nostalgia fills in any gaps that might be with SQ from the new quality mfg's..

As for needing a better amplifier to improve sound, I have to think there would be better places to spend audio money on, at least for me.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Well, Henry Kloss should have been proud. :)

garage102018.jpg

I've had some good and some not so good pieces over the years, but I'm very happy,and I guess, proud of my SS system now, which you can see in my sig. Some say that 1st generation ss Mac stuff was not good, and if that's true then mark me down for liking not good stuff. The restored C24 pre sound terrific mated with the restored MC2105. A great combo for the AR 3a's, and really a system that I could live with forever.

I've posted enough pictures of my set up here for me to be considered bragging. I do like my system and even though I am fully aware that there are lots more members here who have nicer stuff, this is the best i can do for now and i just want to share the happiness I get when I find a new piece that makes me more satisfied than the last. With all the exquisite and esoteric stuff that some of the other members here have, I don't think I can come anywhere near to having bragging rights in the company I have here.

I like vintage because I think that they have distinct styles that can rarely be found in the new components today. I think it gives my set up personality that a lot of newer equipments could not give it.

I always had a low end stereo because we were raising 5 kids and there just wasn't money for that kind of luxury.(Little did I know what AK information would help me find for pennies on the dollar). I don't think that proud is the word for me...satisfied fits better. I have decent gear and it sounds great so I'm happy. I don't want to get tied up in a never ending quest for a better system. There's no light at the end of that tunnel.

If it took time months years of listening to different peices of equipment then I believe you all have something to be proud of regardless make or model. I hear some people say it's nothing to look at but it sure as hell sounds good. Some peices of audio equipment is not in the best condition looks wise but most importantly everything inside is working fine then you have something to talk about.. hell I would be in the dog house if my old lady read this but I spent more serious time auditioning my stereo equipment than I did dating her

If it took time months years of listening to different peices of equipment then I believe you all have something to be proud of regardless make or model. I hear some people say it's nothing to look at but it sure as hell sounds good. Some peices of audio equipment is not in the best condition looks wise but most importantly everything inside is working fine then you have something to talk about.. hell I would be in the dog house if my old lady read this but I spent more serious time auditioning my stereo equipment than I did dating her
I would be in the dog house if I got caught referring to my wife as the "old lady".. :whip:

I love my 1987 AU-X901 Sansui SS amp. Just Love It !

Works for me. I'm a happy camper. :)

I don't think proud is the right word but I'm sure thankful to have a good one!! :music: :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I would be in the dog house if I got caught referring to my wife as the "old lady".
The appropriate term is "little lady". :)

My passion far precluded finding my wife 33 years ago. And when we were dating, she knew exactly what she was getting into as she enjoyed listening to music as do I. Here's my bachelor system circa '85 with (big surprise) Acoustat 2+2 full range stats driven by a Threshold Stasis 3 sourced by a Shinon Red boron/Souther TQ-1/Ariston RD-11s through an Audio Research SP6-C preamp:

system198510.jpg

I hear some people say it's nothing to look at but it sure as hell sounds good.
Perhaps you might contribute to Glenn's speaker video post so that others can hear it. I've posted examples of both music and garage systems.

Last edited:
I never looked for the vintage "sound" so much as the entire vintage "look" that my wife and I enjoy so much. When we decided that we wanted to go vintage in our decor she let me loose to do what I wanted. So I started hit and miss for a bedroom system then figured out about after six months the direction I wanted to go.

I love this hobby so much and that is what I brag about (because bragging about ones possessions is not very classy)......I dont care how cheap or beat up something is, I want to look, tinker and hear what it sounds like. If I dont like it or just find it average I will sell it or store it.....but I am always glad I got to learn about it and store that info in my memory banks. I also love that I have so many different speakers and receivers and amps and tuners and EQs that I have a zillion (yes, one zillion) different ways to listen to music.......

Oh and any page sucks without pictures........

View attachment 1360395
She she sounds like quite a catch.

Back
Top Bottom