Help choosing a stereo amplifier under $250

UncleScrooge

Hi everyone,

I just inherited a set of Sony SS-MF515 speakers and I'm thinking of getting a vintage amp for them.

I already have a nice yamaha rx-v575 reciever with polk audio rti a7 tower speakers for my living room. This would be for my office, and I work from home, so it might get more use.

I prefer a warm sounding amp as I listen to mostly Norah Jones/Mazzy Star type of music, and some 80/90s rock (U2/Def Leppard).

I'd prefer an amp with ambient lighting ( VU meters, or a backlit tuner).

I'd like to keep the budget under $250 if possible. While I could spend more, I'm extremely cheap and would prefer not to.

What are some suggestions? I'm really confused and don't know where to begin.

Also, are these speakers crap? Should I be getting better speakers?

Last edited:
I know of no new receiver or integrated amp meeting your criteria within your stated budget. I assume you meant to post this somewhere other than this New Gear - Performance sub-forum. I think you are looking for a vintage component? General Audio Discussion would be the forum you want - unless I totally misunderstood.

I know of no new receiver or integrated amp meeting your criteria within your stated budget. I assume you meant to post this somewhere other than this New Gear - Performance sub-forum. I think you are looking for a vintage component? General Audio Discussion would be the forum you want - unless I totally misunderstood.
Yes, you are are correct.

Is it possible to move the thread, or should I repost it?

First off, separate off the "ambient lighting" from the sound criteria.. They are totally unrelated, Second, the speakers have a more effect on the sound than the receiver. I'd concentrate there, If you don't like the sound with those speakers, then don't expect a new receiver to change that.

Last edited:
Tight budget. Especially trying to fit meters in as well.
An old NAD Reciever with analog dial will prob have the sound and has back lighting on the long display.
I'm talking early 1980s vintage though.

Hi everyone,

I just inherited a set of Sony SS-MF515 speakers and I'm thinking of getting a vintage amp for them.

I already have a nice yamaha rx-v575 reciever with polk audio rti a7 tower speakers for my living room. This would be for my office, and I work from home, so it might get more use.

I prefer a warm sounding amp as I listen to mostly Norah Jones/Mazzy Star type of music, and some 80/90s rock (U2/Def Leppard).

I'd prefer an amp with ambient lighting ( VU meters, or a backlit tuner).

I'd like to keep the budget under $200 if possible. While I could spend more, I'm extremely cheap and would prefer not to.

What are some suggestions? I'm really confused and don't know where to begin.

Also, are these speakers crap? Should I be getting better speakers?

Have a look into these two:

Luxman L-210 (45 watts)
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/luxman/l-210.shtml

Luxman L-230 (63 watts)
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/luxman/l-230.shtml

They both have matching tuners too. :thumbsup:

The sony speakers are no audiophile quality but if you enjoy them than that's what counts. After getting an amp, try them and if you still don't do it for you, than you might want to upgrade the speakers. I would look into B&K surround receivers on eBay - they sound warm and nice. Afterwards, if you want to upgrade the speakers, than please post here for more suggestions.

The sony speakers are no audiophile quality but if you enjoy them than that's what counts. After getting an amp, try them and if you still don't do it for you, than you might want to upgrade the speakers. I would look into B&K surround receivers on eBay - they sound warm and nice. Afterwards, if you want to upgrade the speakers, than please post here for more suggestions.
I've never hooked up these speakers and have no idea what they sound like.
Thanks for the b&k suggestion.

First off, separate off the "ambient lighting" from the sound criteria.. They are totally unrelated, Second, the speakers have a more effect on the sound than the receiver. I'd concentrate there, If you don't like the sound with those speakers, then don't expect a new receiver to change that.
Well I need a new receiver and I have these speakers lying around, but I'm not married to them.
I figured I'd get the receiver first and see how it goes.

Some candidates that meet your criteria are Kenwood KA-5500, KA-5700, and KA-6100. All have meters and, while not BOTL, were lower in the Kenwood pecking order so are reasonably affordable in today's used market. These Kenwoods are well regarded. I have a couple (other) Kenwood integrateds from that period and they sound great and are well built. Another thought is the Sherwood receivers from the '70s which have pretty lights and lots of love reported by their owners. Some of the lower powered models could likely be had within your budget. Condition, both functional and aesthetic, are important considerations when buying vintage, especially for anyone who does not have the knowledge, tools, or time to fix things.

As for your Sony speakers, I have two smaller pairs from the same year and (I believe) same series. Mine are SS-MB105 and SS-MB115 and I found both pairs in thrift stores. They were very inexpensive when new, but actually sound pretty good. Not audiophile for sure, but decent drivers that seem to be matched to each other and (woofers) to the boxes. Mine are both two-way book-shelf designs with tweeters/woofers similar to those in your speakers, but they don't have that 3" midrange that your floor standers have, which is an unknown to me. One thing you could do would be to verify that all of the drivers are functioning. Tweeters and small midranges like that can burn out if they have been abused. But if they sound good to you then it's OK to feel good about them. You can always sample other speakers later. But for now, get a new amp and enjoy.

Last edited:
Some candidates that meet your criteria are Kenwood KA-5500, KA-5700, and KA-6100. All have meters and, while not BOTL, were lower in the Kenwood pecking order so are reasonably affordable in today's used market. These Kenwoods are well regarded. I have a couple (other) Kenwood integrateds from that period and they sound great and are well built. Another thought is the Sherwood receivers from the '70s which have pretty lights and lots of love reported by their owners. Some of the lower powered models could likely be had within your budget. Condition, both functional and aesthetic, are important considerations when buying vintage, especially for anyone who does not have the knowledge, tools, or time to fix things.
Thanks Roger. What should my budget be realistically?

Warm sound is most important, but I'm thinking it's probably time to loosen the purse strings to get the fancy lights. That would probably open me up to better condition units too.

It's been 20 years since my electrical engineering class and it wasn't my favorite subject.

For amplifiers, look at the Yamaha M Series. M-4, M-45, M-50, M-60 and several more. I own the first two and each was had for a lot less than $250.

They don't have actual VU meters, but their displays are cool.

Thanks Roger. What should my budget be realistically?

Warm sound is most important, but I'm thinking it's probably time to loosen the purse strings to get the fancy lights. That would probably open me up to better condition units too.

It's been 20 years since my electrical engineering class and it wasn't my favorite subject.

You set the budget in your thread title at $250. Any of the amps or receivers I mentioned should be available in good condition for less than that. You can research actual market prices for any gear by studying ebay sold listings. I did not study the current market on the units I suggested, that is your job. But I would guess maybe $100 - $150 for the Kenwood units, and they would meet all of your stated goals. But prices can vary a lot depending on condition. If you don't have the time or desire to fix things, make sure everything works that matters to you. Fancy lights are great, but they do burn out. Vintage gear is prone to all sorts of issues. Don't choose based on looks alone.

Most vintage gear that has not been re-capped will be on the warmer side, one possible exception being Yamaha which is not known as having that type of sound (when new anyway). If recapped and completely refreshed, based on my limited experience (several refurbished Kenwood integrateds), the Kenwood sound is just slightly warmer than neutral. Another factor in favor of Kenwood is the AK Kenwood forum where you can ask model-specific questions and get good general support (ditto Yamaha, Sansui, Pioneer, et al). The Sherwood receivers I have no direct experience with, I suggested those because of the lights and their near cult-like following and reports of their tube-like sound. So in that case I am giving you 3rd party info which you should research further. I do have experience with Sherwood integrated amps and like them a lot.

My suggestions are subjective and biased. Just offering ideas for your consideration :)

As was noted previously, speakers will have the greatest effect on sound.

Last edited:
Removing the need for meters or lights you could do a lot worse than a schveet little Kenwood KA4006. It has the warm sound you're looking for, punches way above it's weight, and looks so darn good. These show up on eBay fairly regularly well within budget.

Kenwood-ka-4006-1.jpg

You set the budget in your thread title at $250. Any of the amps or receivers I mentioned should be available in good condition for less than that. You can research actual market prices for any gear by studying ebay sold listings. I did not study market on the units I suggested, that is your job. But I would guess maybe $100 - $150 for the Kenwood units, and they would meet all of your stated goals. But prices can vary a lot depending on condition. If you don't have the time or desire to fix things, make sure everything works that matters to you. Fancy lights are great, but they do burn out. Vintage gear is prone to all sorts of issues. Don't choose based on looks alone.

Most vintage gear that has not been re-capped will be on the warmer side, one possible exception being Yamaha which is not known as having that type of sound (when new anyway). If recapped and completely refreshed, based on my limited experience (several refurbished Kenwood integrateds), the Kenwood sound is just slightly warmer than neutral. Another factor in favor of Kenwood is the AK Kenwood forum where you can ask model-specific questions and get good general support (ditto Yamaha, Sansui, Pioneer, et al). The Sherwood receivers I have no direct experience with, I suggested those because of the lights and their near cult-like following and reports of their tube-like sound. So in that case I am giving you 3rd party info which you should research further. I do have experience with Sherwood integrated amps and like them a lot.

My suggestions are subjective and biased. Just offering ideas for your consideration :)

As was noted previously, speakers will have the greatest effect on sound.
Removing the need for meters or lights you could do a lot worse than a schveet little Kenwood KA4006. It has the warm sound you're looking for, punches way above it's weight, and looks so darn good. These show up on eBay fairly regularly well within budget.

View attachment 1360887

Thanks for your suggestions!

I spent an hour waiting for the Doctor today, so I went rogue and bought Kenwood KA-3500 amp & Kenwood KT5300 tuner. Seller listed them as in excellent condition and using the make-an-offer feature I paid $175 including Fedex Ground Shipping.

While this is an entry level set, I figured I can't go wrong. If I don't like it, I can probably resell it for close to purchase price.

This may be another stupid question, but do you know what sort of speaker wires will work best with this set? It is safe to assume a 12 gauge speaker wire will work?

12 gauge wire will do the job. If at all possible stay away from CCA (Copper clad Aluminum). You want pure Oxygen free Copper.

For amplifiers, look at the Yamaha M Series. M-4, M-45, M-50, M-60 and several more. I own the first two and each was had for a lot less than $250.

They don't have actual VU meters, but their displays are cool.

These are super cool! But I'm worried about the LEDs blowing...there are so many pretty lights :)

Back
Top Bottom