Which Infinity's to choose from

Everybody has already covered most of the pros and cons of each. For sake of argument I'll throw in my two cents. Personally it's very hard to beat the RSIIBs, they're efficient enough to sound good with average equipment but will continually reveal every improvement you make up stream. That being said, they aren't cheap. If money is a concern the RSIIs are a really gem at the price they sell for. The RS2.5s are great speakers but we're never my speed, the bass is warmer than the RSIIBs and not as deep and their presentation is more forward in the upper mid-range. I have a friend that adores his pair their just not for me. I have not heard the 8.1s but have owned the 5.1s and have heard 6.1s. I feel that the Emit-Rs work better for a music/movie system, as do the ported woofers. (Granted these are the speakers I have the least experience with) If you're interested in the Kappa series I would recommend the original ones more readily, especially the K8 and 9s.

Like musicman95 said, the 2.5's are more forward on the high end and midrange. Not always a bad thing, just different. Also, the bass on the 2.5's are no where near as accurate and deep as the IIb's. With that said, the IIb's require the EQ, as the bass becomes very 'boomy' and 'floppy' without it, so to speak.

In regards to the Kappa 9's, I just recently had Millersound restore my polydomes, and as a side note, they sound excellent and Bill does an AMAZING job. I also recently bought a Krell FPB 600, and although the Kappa 9's sound quite good, they are no where near the league of replacing the EMIM's found on the IIb's and 2.5's.

I used to think that that the Kappa 9's beat the IIb's before I updated my cables and gear, but after listening to them again after 2 years, I FULLY retract what I used to preach in regards to them being better. They do have more and slightly fuller bass (because of the 12" woofers), but no where near the accuracy of the IIb's. Also, having gotten used to hearing the EMIM's and the clarity and accuracy that comes along with them, It's hard to go back. However, the k9's are more forgiving for poor source quality. Now, with all this said, the kappa 9's are still excellent speakers and sound great with proper amplification.

Good luck in your search! :)

Last edited:
they are no where near the league of replacing the EMIM's found on the IIb's and 2.5's.

Well at least you got that right ! The bass and drum notes on the 2.5 are better than the llb’s.

LOL!!! just had to rub you there Infinity :D

In all honesty I never really got the chance to play with my llb’s much, but I’ve heard Jazzman’s and maybe not as fast/ clean if that’s the right word the 2.5 ain’t no slouch.

And I agree with musicman95, if you came across the Original Kappa 8 that is one Hell of a great speaker.

Last edited:
I've been a long time AK follower but never posted.

I've done a lot of research on the various Infinity models but I'm looking for serious opinions.

I'm looking to choose a set of Infinity's to focus on for my main speakers.
Here are my options.

RS 2.5
RS II
RS IIB
Kappa 8.1 Series II

I wouldn’t be opposed at finding some Ren 80s as I think the smaller speaker will accommodate my space. Those don’t come up to often but years ago missed the boat on these as a seller was selling it at a very reasonable price.

I've been a long time AK follower but never posted.

I've done a lot of research on the various Infinity models but I'm looking for serious opinions.

I'm looking to choose a set of Infinity's to focus on for my main speakers.
Here are my options.

RS 2.5
RS II
RS IIB
Kappa 8.1 Series II

I understand research to a point, but you really need to go listen to some of these for yourself. AK is a great medium to meet some people and listen to some awesome speakers. I don't know where you're at but I'm in Portland, Oregon I've got RSIIAs you could listen to. I don't want to volunteer anybody but I'm sure there are other AKers that would be willing to let you listen to their speakers.

You can fix the upper midrange peak in the RS 2.5. Mine are smooth, dynamic, and detailed. Love 'em.

Larry D.

Thanks for all of the input. Price isn't really an issue since I own a pair of each. Power is also not really an issue since I'll be driving them with an Van Alstine FET Valve 600R for now. I would tend to lean toward to 2.5s but the crossover upgrade will be an interesting and expensive venture. The IIBs will probably be my first choice given all of options since I do have the EQ.

Not sure if I got that right, your asking about which speakers to purchase, but then you say you have a pair of each? If you do, you should know which one of the three you like best.

I haven't been in these threads for a bit, and have not owned the 2.5's or the 8.1, but have a pair of the RSIIb's and they are a very capable pair of speakers. Some of the reviewers in the days liked them more than the RS-1B;s. I can't agree with that but they are a good sounding pair of speakers. Not as hard to drive as some people like to brag about. For some reason, and I don't know why people love to label their speaker as hard to drive as some kind of badge of honor that it must make a speaker sound better. Many of the Infinity's people love to say how hard to drive they are, and most of them are not amp killers.

The RSIIb's are great bi amped with tubes on the top, and any reputable pro amp will do bass duty without a problem. One the top any good tube amp does well, I have used my Antique Sound Lab, and a Mcintosh MC75 would work just fine. 75 watts driving mids and hi's will be very loud, if you don't have to drive a bass driver.

Even the RS-1bs 100 watt tube amps on the mid/hi panels is more than worthy of powering them to very realistic levels.

When it comes to bass, its not all that musical. Just good control is all you need. Don't believe me, if you have ever bi amped a pair of speakers and turned off the mid/hi section, what you hear is not very sweet.

If you turn any amp/recievers past 4 (11 oclock), the distortion will increase exponentially! that is what a highly respected audio engineer told me many years ago. I have tested that theory, I believe it! I never turn my "GOOD GEAR" up past 11 oclock.
True, all or most amps will begin to clip/distort at a certain level, but I have to disagree that ALL amps distort around 11 o'clock. Surely a cheaply made amp will, but the Truth is all Amps will vary depending on the quality and the design.

RS2.5's Kick Ass! My first Infinity speakers, bought in Dec 2017, Now I'm an Infinity Nut! You do need a Hi-Current Amp though, their nickname is Amp-Killers, and for good reason, they will Fry your Amp if it is not designed to handle VERY low impedance speakers.

Back
Top Bottom