Criterion 25A score

KingJT

Picked up a pair of Criterion 25A speakers at a local salvage place for $15.00.
They were a little beat up but I figured I'd take a chance on them since they had a money back guarantee.
Got them home and they didn't work.
Oh well. Decided to take them back and put the $15.00 toward a 1953 Singer 15-91 sewing machine they had.
When I got to the salvage place the owner told me I could have them since he was just gonna throw them away.
So I took them home and found out one of the woofers was not hooked up. So I recapped them, hit the plastic trim with some gold spray paint, put a couple of coats of Howard's Restore on them and hooked everything back up.
So now I have a pair of fairly sweet looking Criterion 25A speakers that sound like a total bag of ass. Probably the worst things ever!
Enjoy!

Attachments

• 20170423_201512.jpg
    20170423_201512.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 20170423_201422.jpg
    20170423_201422.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 95
If I were near you, I'd come get them! I'd repurpose them, replace the drivers. Cute little buggers.

Biggles

I have (or had - no idea where they are) a pair of those, and agree they sound like carp. When I was in college, and without knowing what I was doing, I swapped in some Philips woofers and some cheap cone tweeters that I had lying around. They sounded 10 times better. I have no idea why anyone would consider releasing a speaker that sounded this bad. It's one thing to be sold as part of a cheap rack system, but these were sold separately (and the cabinets actually have real wood veneer)..

I've got a pair of these, been sitting on the shelf for probably 15 years! Is there a way to convert these to a decent bookshelf speaker, without spending more than it's worth?

They look great, for what that's worth.

I've got a pair of these, been sitting on the shelf for probably 15 years! Is there a way to convert these to a decent bookshelf speaker, without spending more than it's worth?
If you don't have any spare drivers lying around, and the used audio market in your area is decent, then barring a driver clearance sale at Parts Express, I doubt you'd get them to sound better than the equivalent money spent on a used pair of almost anything else.

I've pretty much concluded to try and find a home where someone might appreciate them, or have the parts to make something out of them. Cosmetically they are near perfect, solid cherry or veneer finish . I also have another set of unmarked speakers in solid walnut cases, that could also be retrofitted. Time to unload some stuff!
Thanks for the replies.

Back
Top Bottom