New DIY record cleaning fluid...

WaynerN

Addicted Member
The last time I bought some 99% isopropl alcohol, (had to order it), they told me at the drug store that they could not order just one or two bottles anymore and that I would have to order and buy a case of it.

So, I have been searching for a substitute. About a week ago, I was doing some cleaning with some white vinegar, and the proverbial light bulb came on.

So now, white vinegar has replaced the alcohol in my cleaning solution. I kept the same mix ratio (1 part vinegar, 3 parts distilled or filtered water) and have been using it for about a week. The only drawback is that the fluid now smells like vinegar, but it seems to really do a nice job cleaning the records, doesn't seem to leave any film on the record surface, and It may actually be knocking down static electricity at the same time. Vinegar is known to destroy bacteria and fungus types of organisms and have "magical" cleaning properties.

White vinegar is very inexpensive so unless I see some later ill effects, This is my new formula.

I smell it on the brush more then anything. A just traded off smells, used to be alcohol, now its vinegar.

Fantastic idea! I'm going to try it. I know white vinegar is great for cleaning. I never thought to use it on my records.

Thanks much!!

Vinegar - that's diluted acetic acid. Not sure using acid on vinyl is a good idea long-term. I am not a chemical engineer or anyone that works in the chemical industry, but I would like to hear an opinion from a professional on this. (I recall that some folks dis-recommended the use of wood-glue as a cleaner due to it being acidic).

If it doesn't work out, the records can make wonderful salad bowls, no need to add vinegar for the dressing.

ckvkv14ndd801.jpg

:D

Sigh, and me who finally manage to track down some Triton X-100, that I´ve read i great for record cleaning solution. Now you´re telling me I just can pop down to the grocery store and buy some sallad dressing?! :rflmao:

NO, NO, NO--on so many levels. Leave chemistry up to those of us with a degree or two or three in it. Do you realize how much "un-metabolized" sugar (and all the "remnants" are left in vinegar?

To make "vinegar"--and I use it in quotes, because it can be made from basically any carbohydrate (sugar) source--you add yeast (or other biologic) to ferment to an alcohol. If you leave it go too far, you get acids (vinegar=acetic acid), and all the "waste" left behind. Take a pan of vinegar and put it on your stove, hot-plate or bunsen burner and let it boil dry and see what's left once it fully evaporates. Then do the same with 99% IPA. If you haven't burned your house down yet, you'll find the answer.

Same goes with "filtered", "mineral", "tap-water", vs distilled water. See you in chemistry class...

Well, the vinegar is diluted even further from the bottle (which is also a plastic) with my 3 to 1 ratio. I'm going to keep using it. I've been cleaning all kinds of plastic/vinyl stuff in the house for decades, so I have no fear of it damaging the records.

If you don't think its a good idea, do what you want.

I'm very happy with phantomrebel's recipe. The search is over for me.

Need to keep tweaking the Loriclone, though....the wand is still too heavy.

Let us know how it works out in the longer run. Meanwhile, every WallyWorld has 91% isopropyl, which is pure enough for me. I’ve been mixing my cleaner 1 quart 91% iso., 3 quarts distilled water, 12 drops Triton X-100 - shaken, not stirred.
That’s been working well in my Nitty Gritty, removing fingerprints, lots of dirt and old smoke residue.
Vinegar probably does a better job on mold spots though.. My cleaner seems to leave ‘em.

Last edited:
I read up on the wood glue thread yesterday evening.... that's one I'm going to have to try sometime. There are sample before and after files attached in that thread proving it does what the regular cleaning agents can't.

Frankly I've had better luck using a 75%/ 25% mixture of Russian and Thousand Island dressing instead of plain vinegar. Seriously, if you rinse your records thoroughly with distilled water after the vinegar, it should be fine. Don't know how well vinegar cleans compared to alcohol. I am a little surprised 99% alcohol is hard for you to find. I get it at my local grocery store.

surprised 99% alcohol is hard for you to find.

I'm in Canada and in my area 99% iso falls into "drinking alcohol regulations" and is at this concentration controlled
and not for sale to the general public.
Wife is a clinical pharmacist and she stated there was paper work to fill out when orders were placed.

NO, NO, NO--on so many levels. Leave chemistry up to those of us with a degree or two or three in it. Do you realize how much "un-metabolized" sugar (and all the "remnants" are left in vinegar?

To make "vinegar"--and I use it in quotes, because it can be made from basically any carbohydrate (sugar) source--you add yeast (or other biologic) to ferment to an alcohol. If you leave it go too far, you get acids (vinegar=acetic acid), and all the "waste" left behind. Take a pan of vinegar and put it on your stove, hot-plate or bunsen burner and let it boil dry and see what's left once it fully evaporates. Then do the same with 99% IPA. If you haven't burned your house down yet, you'll find the answer.

Same goes with "filtered", "mineral", "tap-water", vs distilled water. See you in chemistry class...
What if it's distilled vinegar?
What's with the "See you in chemistry class..." Remark?

Back
Top Bottom