Chronology of Speakers you've owned?

Bose 301’s
Bose 501’s (both PX purchases during military 78-82)
Boston Acoustics 100’s series III (nice classic speakers)
Advent large advents (Same as above)
Magnepan MMG’s ( amazing unboxed sound for next to nothing)
Salk WOW1’s (great custom monitors)
Magnepan Super MMG’s (Back in the fold, once you break out of the box it’s hard to be satisfied within the box, add a well matched sub, custom Salk in my case and they make their own sauce)

1974 : used book shelf 2 way Rectilinear something, bought used.

1975 : Large Advents, and later that year small Advent, both bought used.

1985 : 4 pairs of RS Minimus 7 for limited space use in a 12`X12`metal shed that was setup by me for repairing audio equipment(4 in each corner in a line array, with a modified DAK(remember them) purchased 12" subwoofer.

1990 : Purchased Mac XRT-22 and later on, a pair of XL-1`s, after purchasing my first house in summer of 1989.

1993 : My local Mac dealer offered me a pair of his show room demonstrator XRT-18`s at a very attractive price.

1997 : Friend toasted the non-fused tweeters in his Dahlquist DQ-10`s, and the surrounds were going, and after I told him cost of
repair, so he gave them to me.

2003 : Purchased Mac XRT-30 and XR-27 to replace/upgrade the XRT-22/XL-1`s in living room.

Sold the XRT-22`s, because wouldn`t fit in master bedroom..
2009 : A friend with 2 pairs of DQ- 10`s offered a pair in trade for my BNIB very heavy duty Flat screen articulating TV mount, for his brand new 60" Sharp Aquos TV.

2017 : Klipsch Heresy III`s, installed, and in use in my electronic work shop, as test speakers for sound check before the amplifier leaves the bench.

Infinity RS10b.
Boston Acoustics CR9 CR7
VR30 VR10 PV500
Paisley .5
JBL L80t
KLH6
Advent NLA
CV 211, 12t
JBL L80t3
DCM TF600
Bozak 302a
Infinity RSiiia
Infinity 2000, 3000, SSW212
AR2ax

Last edited:
Home made boxes - 1971

Sony TC353 R2R w/ integrated amp and speakers - 1972

Dynaco A 25 - 1976

Advent Large - 1983 (augmented the Dynacos in 2nd room)

Hafler towers (do not remember model, but had 2 6.5" woofer and 1 tweeter) 1988

Vandersteen 2CE SigII 2012

Bryston Mini-T 2017

I will say most of the speakers I have owned were originally designed in the 50's 60's or 70's. I have heard used, sold, and installed speakers up thru the early 2000's in design. My current speakers are from the 70's in design.and execution. My speakers are slight ly dynamically challenged. Capable of 118 db continuous. My peaks are mostly 102 db at 4 feet with less than 5 watts. There maybe speakers out there with less apparent distortion, but their costs and design makes me stay with what I have. Some day if I see another pair of XR 290s for $30,000.00 I may make a change. Its the $12000.00 for the amps or more that will bust the budget.. .

I've added a pair of speakers since this post -- Revel Concerta2 M16s, which sound better than they have any right to at their $900/pair retail price. If I had to move to a place that was too small to accommodate my VR-4s, I could be happy with the Revels for the long term.

Two other speaker pairs came through my basement work area and ended up with one of my sons. The first was a pair of Ohm Ls that I re-foamed for him. The second was a pair of Vandersteen 2Cis that were in great condition except for one blown tweeter. I sent the driver to Vandersteen for repair and re-installed it once it was fixed. The speakers sound terrific and my son is still using and enjoying them.
Hello Neighbor - I also recently purchased a pair of M-16's. They are terrific, but now I think I need to upgrade my 50 watt Arcam amp. These speakers are amazing but far less efficient than the Paradigm Titan Monitors that they replaced.

My main system has seen many changes. But it started with Advent NLA’s in 1977 and it still has them. That was even before this thread started. :)

The TV system started with cheapie Genesis speakers (in the mid-80’s day of HiFi VCRs) and, starting about 1990, upgraded to Linn Index Plus fronts and (later, after getting a Kenwood 5.1 amp) Polk Audio rears. Still later, maybe a dozen years ago, I added a Boston Acoustics sub, probably the least capable part of any of it. Those are still in use.

I’m building a new system with leftover bits for my basement office, and I’m using Pioneer SP-BS22’s that I just bought. If they areas good as their reputation, and on form to date, they’ll be there 30 years from now.

Rick “for whom the Advents are sentimental now” Denney

Here's my list beginning about 1972. Some I reviewed when I was with SoundStage! and when I had my shop. 1*-sucked, 5*- excellent

EPI 150****, Braun L710*****, DCM Time Window*****,Spendor SP/1**** , Mirage M3si**,Monitor Audio Studio 6****, JM Labs Micron Karat****, JM Labs Daline 3.1*****, K Horns*****, Belle***, Heresy**, KG4**, Clements 206di*****, Galante Rhapsody**, Omega Super 3*** , Shahinian Obelisk*, Ohm Micro Walsh*****, 100****, 200****, Silverline SR12*****, 15****, 17*****, Sonatina*****, Panatella****, Sonata****, Equation 7***, 15***, JM Reynaud Offrande****, Trente****. Twin*****, SAP Quartette*****, Lamhorn 1.8***, Magnepan 1.5***, GPA 604 in custom cabinet*****, Focus 110*****

I may have posted in this thread before, possibly under a different moniker...but just in case I haven't, here goes:

1970's...
Realistic Nova 7-B
Advent "New, Large" (What kind of a name was that?)
Bose 901 Series IV
ESS amt-1b

1980's...
klipsch cornwall

1990's...
Amrita Reference Standard
klipschorns

2000's...
a/d/s/ HT-400LCR
B&W 703
Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab OM-2
Energy RC-50
Polk LSi-9)
Klipsch La Scala II
RBH MC6-CT
Bose 901 Series VI (current)

2010's...
Klipsch RF-82 II
JBL Studio 590 (current)

future? I'd like to own either a pair of Klipsch RF-7's or another pair of Cornwalls, then ride off into the sunset with those and my 901's. :rockon:

Updated as of 7/3/19 Added first pair of JBL's. Scratch JBL off bucket list!

Love this thread and thought I would revive it. Reading this provides lots of info for where to go next for me. Here's my journey as best as I can remember. I tried to keep things chronologically correct. This list is only speakers which were in my main system for over a month. I've stopped buying speakers that aren't an upgrade, unless they are really interesting or very flip-able. Unfortunately I really have no or very little money to spend on audio. A cheap 150 year old large farmhouse sucks all available money, lol. Here goes:

1970's

Various boom boxes and radios.
Parents Zenith console.

1980's & 90's

Realistic Minimus 0.5's (really liked these single fostex full range speakers.
Nice for jazz. Bought some recently to re-experience their magic. Should have just kept my memories....)
KLH suitcase system speakers
KLH speakers (Not sure of model# but with RCA speaker connector. Sounded real nice for jazz.)
Also at this time really into 78's so a couple of tube based all in ones and at least a dozen wind up phonographs.
Lots of old radios too.

2000's
Cerwin-Vega D-9's (I didn't have right amp so went to friend after few months.)
Mackie HR series self powered with 12" woofer. (Went to same friend as CV's when we moved states along with ~1000 LP's)
bunch of not memorable cheap speakers
Klipsch Promedia 2.1 PC speakers (connected to ipod and/or PC)

We bought a house in 2013, so things picked up, back into audio!

Celestion 3 (Currently in use in HT. Still my favorite small bookshelf speaker.)
Jensen 21's (First refoam job, in hoard, err..storage. Very average sounding.)
Advent AS-2 (Chinese made dual 6" driver floorstanders. Sounded nice. Took them to work where they died after a season at a ski lift.)
Advent/3 (Now in kitchen system)
OLA's (traded)
Polk Audio Monitor 5 (Still have, need one tweeter)
Ohm K2 (Still use in workshop)
Energy pro 22 (Current main speakers)

I have three projects that might go to the main system as "B" speakers. Don't think they will best the Energy 22's, but want to hear them anyway. I really like the 22's, but find the midrange to be a bit recessed, bass is very good, and highs super nice. Original ferrofluid in the tweets, so on the lookout for replacement speakers. I really want a pair of floorstanders, but don't have the right room right now. Kids should be moved out this summer, so hopefully soon.)

AR 4XA (tweets worked before and sounded nice. But I HAD to adjust the levels, even though the voice in my head was SCREAMING not to, and now both are silent. Needs recap and lpad installation. Surrounds still look sealed. I think these will be great as "B" speakers for some jazz and big band.)
OLA (Needs recap. Surrounds good, tweets good. Need to make Pete Basel's BSC box.)
BA A-60 (Needs recap and refoam.)

As far as I can tell, I'm almost half way to an endpoint. Definitely on the lookout for some larger ADS speakers. Or not. All I know is it will be fun!

Last edited:
~1969 Realistic Solo-1's
~1971 B&O Beovox 2600's
...at some point in here, Realistic Minimus II as a powered rear channel off Sansui 3000
~1974 Bose 901 Series II's
2019 B&O Beovox M75's (thanks Baco!)

I’ve been at it again, myself. We’ve been living in a travel trailer for a couple of years and had to have small speakers as a consequence, so I added Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2, Elac 5ub, ProAc Response 2s, Revel M106, BMR Philharmonitors. Man o man, very impressive performance from small speakers. Bought and restored old farmhouse and thought it would be fun to put together a vintage system for it. Assembled the following: Dynaco ST70, AF6 tuner, PAS 3, and A25s. Original boxes for amp and speakers. Speakers look as if they’ve never been out of their boxes and electronics are mint. Tech is going through and replacing resistors and caps that are out of spec, but keeping everything completely original otherwise - no mods allowed. I hope it sounds as nice as I’m expecting...

3½ years on, time for an update.

Realistic Nova 6 (meh)
Grafyx SP-10 (my "daily driver" for many years)
Grafyx SP-10W (walnut veneer version of above)
Boston Acoustics A-150 (switched with the above occasionally)
Dahlquist DQM-9 (punchy but bright, replaced the speakers above)
Vandersteen 2CE
NEW: Martin Logan Spire (my end-game system)
NEW: A few Martin Logan subwoofers in a distributed bass array
NEW: KEF LS50 (on long-term loan, for desktop)

For other systems, I've had various Bostons that have come and gone (A40, A40-II, A60-II, A120, CR...something?), a pair of Martin Logan Sequel IIs I gave up on refurbishing (who has time??), and a couple pair of Minimus 7s (meh). I've had Polk speakers in the cars up until recently when I put a Morel Maximo set in my daily driver (component up front, coaxial in rear door) with a Focal sub in the rear.

1970's - Frazier

1980's - 1990's - ADS ( sold Fraziers )

2000's - Aerial Acoustics ( sold ADS )

2008 - Tekton ( sold Aerials )

2009 - Zu

2009 - 2014 DIY open baffle ( sold Zu's )

2014 - Meridians

2015 - DIY Fostex Frugal Horns MkIII

2015 - DIY Lowther OB's ( sold Meridians )

2017 - DIY Zenith OB's

2019 - DIY Holey Basket Frigal Horns MkIII

2020 - DIY Lowther MLTL's

List ‘em so we don’t have to revisit all 22 pages!

Here we go again.

Readers Digest 8" full range jobs with a Cyclophonic Stereo, likely KLH
Marantz imperial 5, then will be frankenspeakered 5
Celestion Ditton 442
ADS 810/2
Meridian M10 with full modular preamp
Thiel CS-3
Thiel CS-3.5
Epicure model 20
Ohm F
Infinity Kappa 6
AR-9
Snell type A
JSE or Joseph speakers, had. 10" clear poly woofer, 4" poly midrange and a 1" dome tweet in oak veneer. About 2' tall and 50 lbs. can't remember the exact name or model
Pyramid Metranome 3 with stands
Respons Grand
NHT 3.3, satin black
Shahinian Obelisk
Shahinian Arc
Princeton Acoustics PA-1 with Jordan drivers
Snell E-III
JBL L-110
Sony APM-6 with stands
B&W 801 series 80
B&W 802 S3
Linn Keltik
Custom made 2 box speakers based on Focal drivers. Big
Genesis V
Celestion SL6Si
Celestion 100
Klipsch RB-75
Onkyo Monitor 500
Quad 12L
Platinum Audio Solo
Spendor S 3/5
Escalante Juniper
FJ Acoustics Musix
Sony APM-4
Sony APM-8 x2
Mach 1 Acoustics DM-10 SE
ElitE (TAD) TZ-9
ElitE (TAD) TZ-9LTD X2
Onkyo Scepter 5001
Phase Tech PC 3.1 Mk II (terrible)
PMC IB-1S
Diatone 2S-305
Lowther PM-4
SONAB OA-5 mk2
Sony SS-G777ES
Victor SX-1000 Laboratory
Diatone 4S-4002
Snell K/II with Snell stands.
Victor SX-L3

That's all I can think of for now.

Last edited:
A cheap pair of store brand speakers as a college purchase. 10 long years of bad speakers that changed my life.

Maggie 2.5Rs. How do deal with an aversion to cabinet noises? Ditch the cabinet.
JBL L1s
JBL XPL90
Audiovector M1 Signatures
Energy Veritas 2.2

I still rotate between the last two. Nearly bought a pair of Opera Callas, right speaker, wrong time, and there wasn't more magic than what the Audiovectors. I've run dozens of speakers through my system over the years. Still pretty happy.

Haven't updated mine in a while and I might be forgetting some of them (sad to say some 'were' quite forgettable!) The 3 sets in Bold (ATC, Klipsch and KEF) are my current speakers.

Acoustic Research AR-9
Acoustat Spectra 11
ADS L-590
Advent (stacked)
Alon Model IV X2
Altec (Onken build) Horn Speakers
Aperion Verus Grand Bookshelf
Apogee Centaur
Artistic Audio Mobius
ATC SCM 50
Atlantic Technology 8200 SR
Atlantic Technology AT-1
Audio Nirvana Super 8
Audio Nirvana 15 Single Driver
AV123 Mini Strata
AV123 X-Static
Axiom Audio M80
B&W 801 Matrix Anniversary Edition
BG Radia 520i
Bose 501
Bose 901s X4
Boston Acoustics E-100
Boston Acoustics A5
Cardersound Horns
Carver ALS III
Carver Amazing Platinum X2
Carver Amazing Silver
Carver CRM-2 Bookshelf Ribbon Speakers
Castle Howard S3
Cerwin Vega CLS-215
Cerwin Vega D8E
Clue Bookshelf
Dahlquist DQ-10
Definitive Technology 8060
Definitive Technology 8080
Definitive Technology BP 2000 X2
Definitive Technology BP 3000
Definitive Technology Mythos
Design Acoustics PS-10a.
Digital Phase AP-2
Digital Phase AP-4
Dunlavy SC-IV
Edifier S2000 Pro
Emerald Physics CS 2.3
Emerald Physics CS3
Emerald Physics EP 2.4
Eminent Technoloy LFT-VIII X2
Emotiva 8.3
Energy Veritas 2.3ci
Focal Chorus 706
Frugal Horns
Gallo A'Diva ti
Gallo Nucleus Reference 3.1
Golden Ear Triton 2
HTD Level 3's
Infinity IL-50s
Infinity IL-60
Infinity Kappa 8
Infinity Kappa 9 X2
Infinity Modulus
Infinity RSb (3 ways with Emit Ribbon Tweeter)
JTR Triple 8's
Kef Reference Model One
Kef 104
KEF C55
Kef 104.2 X2
Kef 105
KEF 105.2s
Kef 107
Kef 107/2
KEF Reference 3
KEF LS 50
KLH Model 6V (Virtuouso),
KLH Model 17
Klipsch Belles X2
Klipsch Chorus X3
Klipsch Cornwall X5
Klipsch Epic CF4 X2
Klipsch Forte II
Klipsch Forte X2
Klipsch Heresy X2
Klipsch KLF-20
Klipsch Klipschorns X3
Klipsch LaScala X3
Klipsch LaScala 3's ALS-5
Klipsch Quartet
Klipsch RF-7s
Klipsch RP-600M
Legacy Focus (my first truly full range speaker 18Hz-30Khz)
Legacy Studio Monitors
LSA-1 Statement
LSA-2 Towers
M-Audio powered bookshelf
M&K S1B X2
M&K S2
M&K S150
Magnepan MG IIIA X2
Magnepan 1.7 QR
Magnepan 3.5
Magnepan MMG
Magnepan MG 12
Magnepan Model 2167 (their first model #, I think)
Manepan 1.6QRs
Magnepan 3.7i
Marantz HD 770s (surprising sound, very well balanced)
Martin Spectrum Slope
Martin Logan CLS
Martin Logan Sequel
Martin Logan SL3
McIntosh XR-5
Merlin Audio TSM MME
Micca RB-42
Mirage M1
Mirage M3
Mirage OMD 28
Mirage OM 7
Monitor Audio M301
NHT 2.9
Norh Prism 5.2
Norh SM 6.1
Norh 4.0
Norman Labs Model 10
Ohm Walsh 2s (I prefered the 2's to the 4's actually)
Ohm Walsh 3X0
Ohm Walsh 4s
Ohm Walsh 5
Onix Rocket 850
Pioneer HPM 100 X2
Pioneer HPM 150
Pioneer HPM-1500
PMC DB-1
Polk Monitor 10
Polk Monitor 12
Polk Lsi-15
Polk LSI-25
Polk LSiM 707
Polk SDA 1B
Polk SDA- 1C
Polk SDA SRS X2
Quad Bookshelf
RCA Linaeum Dipole
Realistic Mach II
Reference 3A De Cappo
Revel Salon
Roksan Rok 1
Sansui SP-2500
Silverline Minuet
Silverline Prelude
Snell Type D
Sonus Faber Toy Towers
Spica Angelus X2 (with Velodyne ULD-15 sub)
Spica TC-50
Spica TC-60
Swans Diva 4.1
Sunfire CRM-2 Bookshelf
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
SVS Ulta Towers
Tannoy DC8 ti
Tannoy Precision 6.2
Tang Band Single Driver
Tekton Pendragon
Thiel CS2 (my first taste of 'high end')
Thiel CS5i
Tyler Acoustics DX1
Usher 8211
Usher 8871
VAL M20 MKIII
Vandersteen 1C
Vandersteen 2Ci
Von Schweikert VR4
Von Schweikert VR4 Jr
Von Schweikert VR5
Yamaha NS-1000
Zu Essence