Advent OLA woofer barking

KingJT

I'm looking at a pair of OLAs my friend refoamed and one of the woofers has something off.
When playing normally, one speaker has a barking distorted sound that actually worsens as you lower the volume.
If you apply a bit of pressure to the cone, it cleans up and sounds great.
If you flex the cone without any music playing you do not hear any rubbing.
If you gently tap the cone, you can hear a vibration at roughly the same frequency as the barking.
I've swapped woofers, rotated them 180° and made sure nothing inside the cab is rubbing the backside of the cone.
My guess is a bad refoam but wanted to throw it out there for confirmation and to see if there was a likely area that was the problem.
These are the first OLAs I've heard and they sound like they have the potential to be really nice.

Thanks as always.
Mike

Sounds like the spider or VC are out of position. You may very well be correct, a bad alignment during the recone process.

Check that the spider is glued to the cone all the way around.
I recently had a KLH woofer making noise and found the spider partially separated from the cone.

Jef

check that the spider is still glued to the former , just did a pair recently , one was completely separated , ripped from the former the other was partially separated IMG_4822.JPG IMG_4826.JPG 5 min. epoxy fixed it right upIMG_4843.JPG

That loctite is the same stuff I used to re-glue my KLH woofers, works good due to the extension tubes.

Also be careful messing around in there, you don't want to end up with a broken voice coil wire in the area where it transitions to the cone.
Happened to me. Somewhere in the repair process, moving the cone up/down or during re-gluing, I ended up with an open woofer. But didn't discover it till after the speakers were reassembled. Had to sent that woofer out for repair.

Jef

Well the former (metal cylinder at the base of the cone?) looks to be firmly attached to the spider. Think something is loose under the dust cap.

Last edited:
If these are the Masonite woofers, check to make sure that the Masonite is thoroughly glued to the basket. I have encountered several iof these woofers that would rattle at different volumes. Turned out to be that the glue bonding the Masonite to the basket gave out.

Push down on the cone in several places around the outside edge of the cone. Any noises? If so, the cone is not centered or, more correctly, the VC former is not parallel with the magnet pole piece.

check that the spider is still glued to the former , just did a pair recently , one was completely separated , ripped from the former the other was partially separated View attachment 1384155 View attachment 1384157 5 min. epoxy fixed it right upView attachment 1384158
Erm, if that last picture is after being epoxied, looks like your cone is glued well past max excursion. I could be wrong, but my advents have the spider glued to the base of the cone not half way up the coil.

Erm, if that last picture is after being epoxied, looks like your cone is glued well past max excursion. I could be wrong, but my advents have the spider glued to the base of the cone not half way up the coil.
I know it looks weird but that's correct for these woofers , I could see where the old glue line was and one of the woofers was partially attached to the spider.

Reactions: MKG
Back
Top Bottom