Technics SL-1200G Speed and Wow and Flutter Issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you posted your issue on any other large audio forums?

No, not yet. However, I am a member of several other forums and may do so later. It is time consuming to monitor multiple threads on multiple sites. Depending on the outcome, I may post threads to all of them.

It took a few weeks to get the receipt.

And that's all you needed for Technics as proof of purchase and if the warranty was made out for your table. Unless you told Technics that you where not the original purchaser they would not know.

But either way I feel they should stand by this limited table, and at least provide you with US service center info that's correct. If they are going to start selling tables they need to establish service centers that can work on them regardless if they are paying for it or the customer is.

As a side note, it was packed in the original box and packing materials. In addition, it was enclosed in another box and the another box with additional padding. I would call it triple boxing plus. It was well protected and marked with orientation arrows and fragile warning. I cannot complain about the packing.
Yeah that comment was in response to the pigs post to me. A 1200 should handle just about any shipping. If it can't well it just wouldn't be worth the name anymore.

And that's all you needed for Technics as proof of purchase and if the warranty was made out for your table. Unless you told Technics that you where not the original purchaser they would not know.

But either way I feel they should stand by this limited table, and at least provide you with US service center info that's correct. If they are going to stated selling tables they need to establish service center that can work on them regardless if they are paying for it or the customer is.

To be clear, Technics did send me the names of two service centers. One is located 25 miles from my residence. The other is located about 100 miles away. The one closest to me only services televisions (I didn't know Panasonic still manufactured televisions). The other one "thinks" they have the correct information to service the SL-1200G/GAE. Not really confidence inspiring.

The other one "thinks" they have the correct information to service the SL-1200G/GAE. Not really confidence inspiring.

LOL, I don't blame you.

I don't think you would have to much of a problem bring it in and paying for it if you can trust the place. It could be a really cheap fix but you need someone who knows what that are doing with this table.

LOL, I don't blame you.

I don't think you would have to much of a problem bring it in and paying for it if you can trust the place. It could be a really cheap fix but you need someone who knows what that are doing with this table.

And therein lies the issue. I have no confidence they possess the skill set to diagnose, let alone repair, a specialty item such as this. "I think so" does not cut it for me.

And therein lies the issue. I have no confidence they possess the skill set to diagnose, let alone repair, a specialty item such as this. "I think so" does not cut it for me.
Maybe you can get a US wide list of service centers from Technics, they gave you the two closest to you.

You can actually get a listing of all Panasonic service centers online. From my perspective, I would have to call each one in an effort to determine which one is actually capable and qualified to repair the turntable. I actually called a few of them before Technics provided the two names. None of them knew what I was talking about. Most of them are appliance repair centers or distribution centers. I just don't have that much free time on my hands to continue. If I could be assured of getting some real resolution by taking to a service center, I would. At this point I have NO CONFIDENCE this will happen. If I have to go to the time and expense and packing the turntable back up, I may as well just send it back. This is both frustrating and disappointing.

The warrantee says repair or replace, I wonder how they replace a table that is limited and they have no more to replace it with? That is if the service center was unable to figure out how to repair it. But I think it highly unlikely they are going to fix it now, knowing your not the original owner and the likelihood that they even have any techs that can do any more difficult repairs.

Get your money back!

The warrantee says repair or replace, I wonder how they replace a table that is limited and they have no more to replace it with? That is if the service center was unable to figure out how to repair it. But I think it highly unlikely they are going to fix it now, knowing your not the original owner and the likelihood that they even have any techs that can do any more difficult repairs.

Get your money back!

I'm working on it. I have initiated a case with PayPal. I am waiting on the seller's "official" response.

I am a picky SOB and I have told I have perfect pitch. As a piano player, I notice even a slight wavering of pitch.
I am the same way. That is why I gave up on the two direct drive TTs I had--I could hear the pitch wavering, and I would then notice this in the varying speed of the strobe display. I have the curse of perfect pitch, and am very sensitive to speed issues also.

It's a shame your purchase worked out this way. Best of luck!

Hardly. No good stereo shop (or camera, computer, appliance...etc.) is just going to give you a cash register tape. They have the original buyer particulars on file and on the printed invoice I betcha.

I don't know the specifics in the USA but warranty cards DO NOT need to be filled out and sent to manufacturers to validate warranties in Canada. Receipts or other proof of purchase are typically necessary but, as mentioned, I expect it's not going to help a second owner.

Hardly. No good stereo shop (or camera, computer, appliance...etc.) is just going to give you a cash register tape. They have the original buyer particulars on file and on the printed invoice I betcha.
Are McIntosh dealers a good shop?, they print out a invoices. But when I had my MC275 serviced and brought it to a authorized tech, nobody ID me, I just showed them the receipt. serial number matched the amp and the date was still under warranty and they sent a copy to mac. If it was shipped people change addresses, people use others cards and accounts to pay, names change as it could have been a gift. All anyone needs is the receipt that matches the unit, that says when it was sold.

Unless when db contacted Technics they flagged his serial number. All he has to do is make a copy of the receipt and stick it in the box, let the service center contact Technics saying they have this unit, it's under warranty, and matched the unit sold xxx

Are McIntosh dealers a good shop?, they print out a invoices. But when I had my MC275 serviced and brought it to a authorized tech, nobody ID me, I just showed them the receipt. serial number matched the amp and the date was still under warranty and they sent a copy to mac. If it was shipped people change addresses, people use others cards and accounts to pay, names change as it could have been a gift. All anyone needs is the receipt that matches the unit, that says when it was sold.

Unless when db contacted Technics they flagged his serial number. All he has to do is make a copy of the receipt and stick it in the box, let the service center contact Technics saying they have this unit, it's under warranty, and matched the unit sold xxx

They say explicitly in the documentation and in replies to the second owner they do not transfer warranties. That's great that McIntosh does. Bryston (except on speakers) and some others do too but many do not. Actually, Bryston says this:

The warranty is transferable from the original owner to a subsequent owner as long as a copy of the bill-of-sale from the original authorized Bryston dealer accompanies the re-sale. The copy of the bill of sale to any subsequent owner need ONLY include the Name of the Bryston Authorized Dealer and the Model and Serial number of the Bryston product.

They would cover the guy, but Technics says they won't and that's too bad. I think it's very unfortunate that Decibel is hard done by here. I wish it was different.

Last edited:
They say explicitly in the documentation and in replies to the second owner they do not transfer warranties. That's great that McIntosh does.
No I bought it new at the store, my point is the service center and Technics is not going to run anyones finger prints and do a full cavity search. The OP has the receipt and can move forwards with service, but the problem is he can't trust a place working on TVs that never touched a Turntable before.

I have written 3 times to the CS representative. The first time, I was ignored completely. The second time, I was told the warranty is not valid for me and I would have to pay for the repairs. My last message I communicated my disappointment. I also sent a short video and a photo of a polar plot. I was very professional every time. We'll see if they respond at all. He was pretty dismissive, so I don't expect a response.

Never accept a 'no' from someone who doesn't have authority to say 'yes.'

The customer service representative is just following Panasonic policy. The policy clearly states that the Panasonic warranty is non transferrable.

To get Panasonic to override the policy in your case, you need to go higher up the food chain. That means tracking down email addresses for C-Levels. And you need to send them a link to this thread.

In 2018, Panasonic reported net income of ¥236.0 billion. It's hard to have any sympathy for a company making billions that looks for legal loopholes to prematurely cancel warranty coverage on new products (i.e. if the original owner sells the product).

It's unknown whether the table is defective or if the prior owner or shipping damaged it. But Technics should want to get to the bottom of it to ensure there aren't any design flaws on their end.

Panasonic may actually lose sales on Technics products if an issue like this gets high visibility on audio forums that cater to their target demographic. The pushback you've experienced and corporate maneuvering to avoid supporting the warranty is enough to give me pause about purchasing any new (or recent) Technics product.

A primary marketing differentiator of Technics tables is their supposed reliability. The problem you are experiencing undercuts a core Technics value proposition.

Reach out to senior Panasonic/Technics executives, describe the issue, request help and send them a link to this thread. Google Panasonic executive email addresses and/or contact them LinkedIn. If you talk to the right person with authority to help you, they may do so.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom