Questions about the sound of Cuaróns "Roma"

Spitfirejoe

Cheap Audio Aficionado
Have any of you seen this yet? Has anyone seen it with an Atmos capable sound system? Reviews and reports are telling me the sound is mind-blowing - that he actually used Atmos the way it was designed to be used and that his team worked hard to get it right.
I have been waiting for time to get to the city so I can find it playing at a theater that has Atmos capability. My surround sound system is decent, but no Atmos - so I fear I would be missing something important or at least fun and interesting. I'm probably going to go ahead and watch it at home on Netflix before I get a chance to see it in a good theater, but I'd like to hear from anyone that HAS experienced the film with Atmos.

Netflix only had this in theaters for a few weeks and pulled it. I hope that if it wins an Oscar they will re-release it. The NPR reviewer specifically mentioned the sound and recommended seeing it in IMAX. I wish I had caught it in the theater!

Thanks, Kim3Ce. I had no idea the theater release was so short lived. I went ahead and watched it on my home system. Very good surround sound - "immersive" is a good descriptor. It was not overwhelming or a distraction.

I saw it yesterday at our local discount theater! The movie centers on a young woman working as a servant to a Mexico City family.

The movie is mostly about how her life goes from bad to worse along with that of the family and the country around them. Amazingly effective at putting you into the time and place. Very effective use of surround sound in the theater. I watched carefully and the theater did not say ATMOS, just that the theater was digital.

I admired it more that I enjoyed it as much of it is grim. My wife thought it was great and disliked "Gravity", so there you go.

I also admired this movie but would be careful to recommend it to anyone. It is not an entertaining movie, but rather it takes you on a slow ride into a culture and time and family that are both frustrating and difficult to watch at times, to some very long scenes that are incredibly moving, thought-provoking and fascinating.

The cinematography in black and white is incredible. It's a different type of black and white using more shades of gray - the look was completely original to my eyes.

I was also a huge fan of Gravity. The movies are totally different in every way, but there is a scene in Roma that pays homage to gravity.

Cheers,

Snade

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom