marantz 2240 receiver faulty power switch? please help!

I agree with those above who say replace the switch. Deoxit treatment of a power switch is extremely unlikely to be a solid long term fix. I use Deoxit with great success for the general low voltage switches and pots where removal of oxidation is the goal. But the charring and pitting of contacts in a high voltage application is not likely to be "cured" with oxidation removers.
Definitely would prefer to replace the switch, but my electrical knowledge is lacking, although im assuming the job is relatively simple enough.. ive done plenting of soldering copper pipe so i think I better be able to pull this off.

I have found it to be true, once the bottom and front panel are removed the switch replacement is easy. For me the one nut removal on the Mid control is the hard part.
Spraying a chemical into the switch will not repair burnt contacts. May lube the action but will soon burn off leaving a sticky residue even hear it doing so if over having sprayed.
An added benefit being with the front panel removed. A good time to give it a good cleaning with cold water and soap followed by a polishing with car wax.
Im new to electrical soldering but i think i can pull it off.. ive never considered giving the faceplate a good wax, will definitely do that. Thank you

Sounds like the OP is new to hands on work on these units. Be aware that the wires at the switch are 120 volts - some of them full time while plugged in. In other words, they can kill you. Be certain the unit is unplugged any time you mess around in the area of the power switch!
Absolutely! Much thanks

I rebuild power switches.. but, only when they are relatively clean and not pitted. I burnish the contacts and use the DeOxit non-conductive grease which has DeOxit in it
IMG_2386.jpg IMG_2387.jpg

I rebuild power switches.. but, only when they are relatively clean and not pitted. I burnish the contacts and use the DeOxit non-conductive grease which has DeOxit in it
View attachment 1332437 View attachment 1332438
Thanks so much for all the great info! Well my switch finally went completely belly up, now I just gotta clear some time to get it done! I guess i better order the switch and practice my soldering skills on a parts unit.

hello, I know this is late in coming, but I finally pulled my old switch and yes indeed there are two identical prongs next to the ones in use. These are the only other prongs on the switch, they are right next to and identical to the ones in use. Do you think there is any possibility of these connection points being intended for anything else? I would love to give this a shot because I am a bit unsure of exactly how to put a new switch because they are different with many prongs, and the fact that they all have snubbers, and I have no idea where two connect the wires or snubber.
thanks!

looking at the schematic there should be an unused half to the switch . may be able to swap wires over .
hello, I know this is late in coming, but I finally pulled my old switch and yes indeed there are two identical prongs next to the ones in use. These are the only other prongs on the switch, they are right next to and identical to the ones in use. Do you think there is any possibility of these connection points being intended for anything else? I would love to give this a shot because I am a bit unsure of exactly how to put a new switch because they are different with many prongs, and the fact that they all have snubbers, and I have no idea where two connect the wires or snubber.
thanks!

Thats a rebuildable switch.. assuming the contacts are not fried. In two of three case, all I had to do was take it apart, clean them and grease them with non-conductive DeOxit grease. You need to use a thin blade screw driver to hold the spring out of the way when putting it back together.

test the spare connections with your meter . if it appears to work ok swap the wires to them .
Well!
Worked like a charm! My soldering job could have been better, but hey it was my first shot at electrical soldering. I had to do it a few times to get the wire position correct. Im surprised no one else suggested this method, hopefully people will see this and give it a shot. I had also inquired about a new switch with Randy from “Ibuildmarantz.com”, and he suggested the same method, so a big thanks to Randy as well. Thank you! Ill include some before and after pics for posterity.

Attachments

• 369A5F76-84B5-4BD3-A258-C632E413008A.jpeg
    369A5F76-84B5-4BD3-A258-C632E413008A.jpeg
    46.8 KB · Views: 30
  • B441633A-560A-4CB1-85B1-C9B6B0B86DE3.jpeg
    B441633A-560A-4CB1-85B1-C9B6B0B86DE3.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 31
Thats a rebuildable switch.. assuming the contacts are not fried. In two of three case, all I had to do was take it apart, clean them and grease them with non-conductive DeOxit grease. You need to use a thin blade screw driver to hold the spring out of the way when putting it back together.
Very much appreciated!
I made the repair using the same switch, it had a set of posts right next to the original ones, I swapped the 2 wires over and I was good to go.

Back
Top Bottom