Recommendations for tube amps to complement Klipsch

I built them - it was a complete blast. I use a McIntosh C220 tube preamp.

I drive a 2018 Mustang GT - so I must be right :)

Yes, you are right!

Can you drive front and rear speakers with your C220?

The build looks formidable from the article I read. Is it that bad?

Yes, you are right!

Can you drive front and rear speakers with your C220?

The build looks formidable from the article I read. Is it that bad?
The c220 is 2 channel only - so I'm fairly certain - just the two channels.

The build isn't difficult - the instructions are perfect and easy to follow. You would just need to practice your soldering - if you haven't soldered much. Just buy some cheapo electronics kit to practice on.

The c220 is 2 channel only - so I'm fairly certain - just the two channels.

The build isn't difficult - the instructions are perfect and easy to follow. You would just need to practice your soldering - if you haven't soldered much. Just buy some cheapo electronics kit to practice on.

I've done a fair bit of soldering. I might just do this.

I've done a fair bit of soldering. I might just do this.
You won't be disappointed - Bob Latino - is pretty much revered on most sites - especially this one.

The ST120 and ST70 are also great options.

The M125s are very flexible - since you can run in two and four tube configurations should you need more power in the future.

Any tube amp. And since the speakers are so efficient you don't need tons of watts to get the job done. I'm working on bringing a Heathkit AA-30 back on line for use with a set of recapped Cornwalls. And that amp makes about 14-watts - maybe even a little less.

Thanks brother. Currently have my old Klipsch attached to my Dynaco PAS3 and Mark 3 monoblocks. Sound so much better than when I had them driven by solid state.

Was wondering same thing. If not for my Dynaco I wouldn't be afraid to take a chance for the money.

If you look in Klipsch's newer ads you will see a beautiful work of art by Tool Shed Amps.... I spoke to Matt from Tool Shed and he uses some of the Heritage line in voicing his amps. I had mentioned being interested in his 4 watt amp for my Heresys and instead of taking my money he was upfront about the fact that the Heresys need more than 4 watts regardless of what their sens. spec suggests.

I'm using a pair of Quicksilver Mid Monos and don't get me wrong, they are great. The Tool Shed Amps are heirloom quality , check out his site.... they are beautiful.

If you look in Klipsch's newer ads you will see a beautiful work of art by Tool Shed Amps.... I spoke to Matt from Tool Shed and he uses some of the Heritage line in voicing his amps. I had mentioned being interested in his 4 watt amp for my Heresys and instead of taking my money he was upfront about the fact that the Heresys need more than 4 watts regardless of what their sens. spec suggests.

I'm using a pair of Quicksilver Mid Monos and don't get me wrong, they are great. The Tool Shed Amps are heirloom quality , check out his site.... they are beautiful.
I’ll do that! I picked up a pair of Cornwall’s too. I dig old Klipsch.

Average person listens with sustained average loud levels of 85 db*, professional musicians, recording engineers and the like around 90 db sustained levels. Depending on the room and if you sit more than 12 ft from your speakers you will loose about 10 db from a speakers. 104 db 1 watt 4ft, means. about a 10 th of a watt for 85 db with 1 watt for 10 db peaks for average folks and maybe 3.5 watts for peaks for the professional guys. Now Paul published a chart in one of his white papers where he said if you liked to go to concerts and sit in the front row you definitely needed a lot more power. I don't remember if he said 30 watts or 60 watts for Klipschorns, La Scalas and Belles. if you are going to crank up your Heritage speakers I would recommend High Pass filters. 50 HZ for Belles and La Scala and 30 HZ filters for Cornwalls and Klipschorns.

I forgot to mention A weighted where the bass is rolled off. So with the bass the sound would seem louder and measure louder. So it hard to measure what the ear perceives and the instruments read. I think C weighting is more appropriate. But C is not the standard as the A weighting more closely corresponds to what happens to the ear from long term exposure causing hearing damage. In pop music you can easily see 4 to 6 db level increase between the A weighting, rolling off the bass, and the C weighting with just a minor roll off.

Last edited:
I'm sure there are quite a few tube amps out there that would satisfy your needs. I have both a SE and PP setup I can swap between the little birch boxes and their bigger brothers when I want a change of pace. Flexibility is nice.

Average person listens with sustained average loud levels of 85 db*, professional musicians, recording engineers and the like around 90 db sustained levels. Depending on the room and if you sit more than 12 ft from your speakers you will loose about 10 db from a speakers. 104 db 1 watt 4ft, means. about a 10 th of a watt for 85 db with 1 watt for 10 db peaks for average folks and maybe 3.5 watts for peaks for the professional guys. Now Paul published a chart in one of his white papers where he said if you liked to go to concerts and sit in the front row you definitely needed a lot more power. I don't remember if he said 30 watts or 60 watts for Klipschorns, La Scalas and Belles. if you are going to crank up your Heritage speakers I would recommend High Pass filters. 50 HZ for Belles and La Scala and 30 HZ filters for Cornwalls and Klipschorns.

I forgot to mention A weighted where the bass is rolled off. So with the bass the sound would seem louder and measure louder. So it hard to measure what the ear perceives and the instruments read. I think C weighting is more appropriate. But C is not the standard as the A weighting more closely corresponds to what happens to the ear from long term exposure causing hearing damage. In pop music you can easily see 4 to 6 db level increase between the A weighting, rolling off the bass, and the C weighting with just a minor roll off.

When you say High Pass filters 30 HZ/50 HZ do you mean in the crossovers?

At this moment, Dennis Had Inspire 45 Fire Bottle amplifier.

IMG-2700-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom