CDP with dual mono construction...does it exist?

Sonance'84

moe.ron
Subscriber
I'm just thinking out loud right now, but i was wondering if there's a such thing as a dual mono cd player?

My integrated amp and dac are dual mono and my dual subs use their own amps in mono. I don't listen to cd's much at the moment, but it would be cool to find a cdp that matched the theme going here.

Anyone know of any examples?

There are some transport/dual mono DACs out there (ie: they are 3 seperate pieces).
Offhand I dont seem to recall any dual mono CDPs that are built on one chassis.
But that's not to say there are'nt any,I dont claim to know every piece of equipment that's out there.

HTH

Bret P.

You do realize that a CD is a single data stream until it is decoded. Are there any dual mono record players? Dual mono is possible from the DAC on.

Dual mono is possible from the DAC on

I suppose if you were that concerned about crosstalk within the DAC, you could build a splitter for the I2S stream, that inserted blank samples into the other channel, and feed these two streams to two DACs...

A simple AND gate might do it, using the LR clock, and an inverter for one channel.

You do realize that a CD is a single data stream until it is decoded. Are there any dual mono record players? Dual mono is possible from the DAC on.

It that a statement or question? No, I didn't realize that, hence the reason for asking this question. I even said that I was "thinking out loud", so pardon my ignorance of cd players. I guess I should know the answer to my question before asking it next time.

So that answers my question. Thanks.

So that answers my question.

I doesn't, really.

A CD is encoded digitally, of course, with left and right sample pairs. But the reading of the data isn't that different in principle to a stylus reading a stereo-encoded record. At some point in the chain, left and right signals are separated from the single 'stream'.

In a vinyl record, the left and right signals are encoded orthogonally, and can be separated from the single groove using an orthogonal reading head; the stereo cartridge.

In a CD player, the left and right channels are encoded sequentially, and can be separated by using the left/right clock signal.

Once separated, both types of signals can be processed as dual mono signals, should you wish to do so, on the grounds you think that will reduce crosstalk, and improve the audio quality.

If you will listen to early CD players one of their down falls was they made recording sound like left center right. Reminding me of the old Command Persuasive and Provocative Album recordings noted for the ping- pong effects. Total left or total right with center for the soloist. Today its about staging and imaging. Returning to left and right has no appeal to me. If you want more separation get rid of your M&K point source speakers. I have my own too, and get horn loaded or line array speakers to cut down on all the ill effects your room adds to smear the images of the sound you are hearing. Build an anechoic chamber for a sound room , that will give you plenty of separation. Listen to music out doors with no building s around. The best way is buy a great pair of head phones. That way you will even better separation. Ever see the cartoons from back in the 60's with guys walking down the street or seated in their favorite listen chair with two book shelf speakers strapped to their ears. Total separation and fidelity.

A simple AND gate might do it, using the LR clock, and an inverter for one channel.

A quick look at the I2S spec shows that the L/R clock changes in the last bit period of the other channel. So it would need a flip-flop or two to provide the correct gating signal.

If you want more separation get rid of your M&K point source speakers.

I see what your saying about separation overall, but I don't get what it has to do with my speakers. Honestly, they do separation just fine, actually excel at it. I hear more fine details and get better imaging than I have with other speakers. I've put many other great speakers out to pasture and kept the M&K's (Klipsch Forte [tried 3 different xovers], Infinity RSII, PSB Stratus Goldi).

I'm not looking to change my system or feel the need for more separation...I just wanted to know if such a component existed.

Oh I agree M&K are great speakers thats why I have my own system in the RV. But they just don't compare to two line arrays or three pairs of S150's stacked on top of each other with 4 350 subwoofers. Its not a pair of XR 290's but its darn close. I always wished M&K would extend the length of their tweeters and mids by making Short line arrays. maybe with 8 or 9 tweeters and 6 mids on one enclosure, with a bass module with two or four 12's. Something to give, Magnepan, Infinity, Mcintosh, and Martin Logan a run for their money. Use the modular amps from the professional line to power the tweeters and mid/woofers. Just plug them into the wall connect a cable from the pre-amp and you would be ready to listen to some very special sounds. We had 3 or 4 customers with pairs of S150's stacked for HT and one customer with 3 stacked for HT. and more importantly an out standing stereo system. They were all behind a screen for HT. But it retracted for when he was listening to music. in stereo. WE used different eq's for each mode. He was going to to update his woofers , but I retired and never got to hear the difference. I'd like to hear a S300 system someday. .

Sounds like you want a player that has the ability to tap the signal off before its onboard DAC. I don't know whether optical out or the digital out RCAs that some players have provides this ability, but seems it should.

So just send the digital signal to you DAC. Buy a player with a well built power supply section.

Are there any dual mono record players?
There were:
cookcarts1.jpg

Cook-pickup-arm.jpg

The Cook Binaural system was one of the first methods of stereo reproduction via LP records. The left and right channel were two parallel grooves on the same side of the record, and were meant to be played by a weird forked tonearm (or a regular tonearm with a bracket to allow a second cartridge to be installed alongside the regular one, though it was apparently a PITA to get them aligned correctly). Once the Westrex 45/45 system we know today came along, Cook Binaural went by the wayside fairly quickly.
-Adam

My integrated amp and dac are dual mono
In the case of the UD-501, kinda sorta. Yes, it has separate transformers, DAC chips and output op amps but the components are shared on a single board.

501.jpg

My Audio Research DAC8 takes a different tack on the "dual" concept. It contains two transformers, but uses a low noise R-core for the analog section and an EI for the digital. The discrete output stage (down the center) is dual mono as is the power regulation circuitry to the right that feeds each channel. It uses two DAC chips per channel running in mono mode and uses separate oscillators for 44.1/88.2/176.4 and 48/96/192 sample rates.

dac8.jpg

In the case of the UD-501, kinda sorta. Yes, it has separate transformers, DAC chips and output op amps but the components are shared on a single board.

It's quite a step up from the Shiit Bifrost Uber Gen.2 that I had prior, so I'm happy. My integrated amp is similar, sharing 1 PCB, but still considered a dual mono design. True dual mono gear is out of my range at the moment, but some day...

If there's separate power supplies, transformers, signal paths etc, and they don't share anything but physically being on the same board (no traces etc) and only one chassis.....it's dual mono. Don't let anyone tell you you need separate chassis and power cords for it to be “true” dual mono. Though a pair of mono chassis used together certainly is dual mono, don't feel you need them to somehow have a dual mono system.

Back
Top Bottom