The Death of the Stereo Receiver

I've been looking at Yamaha's collection of network stereo receivers. They have Bluetooth, USB, streaming capabilities, built in DACs and much more. I've always liked their "Natural Sound."

yes, I've noted Yamaha has "updated" their receivers so that one could stream to them via Bluetooth. I thought the Outlaw did that as well, but you'd have to feed it via USB from an internet link.

The FM programming is not as good as it used to be, at least not here.

I remember the first FM station in listened to in the early 70’s. The DJ would play whole albums, or at least whole sides. Very few commercials and little talking. I distinctly remember hearing The Who Quadrophenia promo copy before its release. He played one side per night, four nights straight. I was there with my cassette deck. :beerchug:

Bingo - in the DC area, I listen to FM for NPR news and talk - the kind of thing AM radio used to be used for ... So, during commute time, since this week is NPR fundraising week,
I listen to NPR Fresh Air podcasts from my phone, or the music playlist (also on my phone) ...

At home I rarely kisten to radio - occasionally "Thistle and Shamrock" (public radio again),
or a distant radio Station via the Internet (WTMD, Towson, MD) Saturday noon-3 (!) to hear a once local DJ doing his schtick (Weasel, formerly of WHFS) ...

So, although I do have a tuner in the stereo system, just in case ...

The airwave are dead to me now!
Try Mark Levin .

The FM programming is not as good as it used to be, at least not here.

I remember the first FM station in listened to in the early 70’s. The DJ would play whole albums, or at least whole sides. Very few commercials and little talking. I distinctly remember hearing The Who Quadrophenia promo copy before its release. He played one side per night, four nights straight. I was there with my cassette deck. :beerchug:

There was something to be said for a good DJ that served up the new good music at will. The midnight hour, The blue plate special, The big spin...……………….

Dunno about anyone else but since moving from an FM rich area about 8 miles from to NYC to a pretty much dead ares in the middle of nowhere in Texas, I've become pretty much dependent on internet radio, particularly on an app named "Tunein". I use a cheapo digital radio when I transverse the country, which I do several times a year, to find local stations that float my boat and try to add them to my Tunein library. About the only stations I've not been able to incorporate are IHeart stations.

FWIW, I use this when traveling to find local talent: https://www.amazon.com/JENSEN-SR-50...92&sr=1-12&keywords=jensen+portable+fm+radios

Last edited:
FM radio has been the background soundtrack to my life. Streaming is nice but tends to be too genre specific. Too cheap to pay so I gotta put up with ads either way. My preference for background audio is actually my own long run playlists on shuffle but that gets distracting sometimes because I have such good taste in music.:music:

There is something intoxicating about a vintage receiver all lit up.

That gets right to one of the most appealing points of vintage receivers for me. I was born in the early 60's and remember as kid saving up money to buy a system consisting of a receiver, turntable, cassette deck and speakers. My brother did the same thing. We lived in rural Illinois but were able to pick up the FM stations out of Chicago. Listening to music was such a big point of my life back then and FM radio was a big part of that. The glow coming off of those old receivers was like a lighting feature back then, either at home or when visiting friends. With one notable exception, every place that I've lived has had a decent number of good FM radio stations. Part of that likely has to do as much with my age as the specific locations themselves.

Even today I still have access to good quality FM broadcasts. In my main system I'm running an integrated amp and have a FM tuner. But the second system set up in the basement uses a receiver (and I own a few different vintage receivers).

My home office set up includes a tuner that is seldom used. I repurposed an old tablet that sits at my work station for use as a controller for streaming from the PC connected to my office setup.

Of course, much of the time I’m streaming FM stations from all over the country....

Back
Top Bottom