What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Haven’t played this one for a while. My last play by Daniel Lavoie reminded me of that. He took the part of Frollo, the priest.

I found the CD when I was stuck for the weekend at a truck stop in Toulouse, France. There was a 3 hour TV show playing on the making of Notre Dame de Paris. Soon as it finished, I bought the CD. Not sure what happened to the cover art. I’ll have to re-rip it sometime.

View attachment 1386942
You know what? You have reminded me of my favorite thing...the un-traditional. French folk get a bad rap for being unfriendly, and sticklers for the use of their language. New Yorkers get a bad rap too. But, my trip to upstate New York (Syracuse) gave me exposure to some of the most friendly people I have ever met. Toulouse, France is very similar. Very friendly and accommodating. I had a great time when I was there (on engineering business).

Enjoy,
Rich P

You know what? You have reminded me of my favorite thing...the un-traditional. French folk get a bad rap for being unfriendly, and sticklers for the use of their language. New Yorkers get a bad rap too. But, my trip to upstate New York (Syracuse) gave me exposure to some of the most friendly people I have ever met. Toulouse, France is very similar. Very friendly and accommodating. I had a great time when I was there (on engineering business).

Enjoy,
Rich P

I worked all over France. My French is terrible, but I never had any inkling that the local people had any problem with my attempts to use the language. Far from it. Most of them were astonished that an Englishman had bothered to learn it, and were very friendly (as a result?).

Here’s a funny thing. I can sing along to the original French version of this recording, so long as no-one else is within earshot, but the English version, which I recently acquired, has me lost. I’m just not expecting to hear it in English, and rarely play it.

I worked all over France. My French is terrible, but I never had any inkling that the local people had any problem with my attempts to use the language. Far from it. Most of them were astonished that an Englishman had bothered to learn it, and were very friendly (as a result?).

Here’s a funny thing. I can sing along to the original French version of this recording, so long as no-one else is within earshot, but the English version, which I recently acquired, has me lost. I’m just not expecting to hear it in English, and rarely play it.
Different from the experience of US GIs in the 70s. Funny, as an elevator engineer, it is amazing how French speakers are sensitive to the use of their language. We had to supply a whole variety of variations to our talking elevators in France and Canada...

Not denigrating French speakers, or at least not intending to. In fact, I would be willing to live in Toulouse. The people there are such great people. Actually, there are a lot of places I would not mind living.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
Here’s one of the songs from Notre Dame de Paris, in case anyone wonders why I get worked up about this recording.

Belle by Garou, Daniel Lavoie and Patrick Fiori. Anyone who has seen the French version of The Voice Might recognise Garou and Patrick. They appear as judges on the show.

I don't know how this made it into my cleaning queue, but I am enjoying it none the less. My music collection is now in the back yard, airing out, from its several weeks in an airtight tub with Nuvan Pro-Strips (bed bug treatment). Tomorrow, the collection gets to come back into my home. As Elton says it, "Lord I miss it so much..."

R-3331174-1326127385.jpeg.jpg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Back
Top Bottom