This Yamaha TT is actually rather cute

Not bad looking but if I remember correctly that looks just like the tonearm on Teac, Monoprice, Fluance and Elac in a recent thread. Other aspects aren't identical but it's a typical rebrand by the looks of it.

Seeing one in the flesh would be interesting. I should check out my local drug store. Seriously, London Drugs here has a good computer and camera section and a passable stereo department too. :)

Different arm.

teac_tn_280bt_b_angled.jpg

In NA that Holden was a Pontiac GTO. Sadly, Pontiac is no more and the only V8 powered auto in NA is Italian (Dodge, Chrysler or whatever they are called these days). As sad as digital stereo.
Almost pulled the trigger on the last of the v8 g8s.
Timing was bad.
Still kicking myself a bit for it, but it wasn't to be.
Mrs was in a very minor fender bender about a week ago.
No physical harm and other driver admitted fault and all paid on his insurance.
Wife drives a '15 Buick SUV encore (?) (The little one).
Nothing wrong with it but does nothing especially well either.
(Getting to point here;))
So rental they give her , Caddy XT5.
I haven't been paying much attention to caddy recently and I'm much more a car guy than truck guy.
That said, I spent an hour and a half last night driving it.
The 6 with th 9spd is impressive. From any speed , apply throttle and it goes .
I've driven my share of 8s and this gives up nothing. I'm not delusional. It won't run with a vette or a demon but for any real world driving condition it's more than adequate :banana:.

Am guessing you are correct about the Yamaha. Made somewhere offshore (from Japan) by the lowest bidder. Just like Yamaha's line of integrated amps are made in Malaysia.
Always found my '12 Camaro RS V6 to be fine, performance-wise. But, is so much easier to get in/out of an Equinox (same V6) than a Camaro and easily as comfortable.

Am guessing you are correct about the Yamaha. Made somewhere offshore (from Japan) by the lowest bidder. Just like Yamaha's line of integrated amps are made in Malaysia.
Always found my '12 Camaro RS V6 to be fine, performance-wise. But, is so much easier to get in/out of an Equinox (same V6) than a Camaro and easily as comfortable.
I have a Chevy Super Sport, but not the one you're probably thinking of. It's a Cobalt SS, normally aspirated. Ground-pounding 171 horsepower.
Actually, more power than anyone would need in my neck of the woods.

Parts were always hard to get. Now near impossible. GM USA has never been there to support us. And shipping costs for any little part from Down Under are more than the part itself.
But the car does haul ass.

WEEEEEEEEE!

But, is so much easier to get in/out of an Equinox (same V6) than a Camaro and easily as comfortable.
I hear you, the only thing I find comfy anymore and easy to get out of is my Chevy 1500 extended cab. Still enjoy the Fiat 124 Spyder when I take her out though.

As for the TT, I too think it looks like the Teac. Any word on specs?

BTW, my Holden has DIGITAL fuel injection and a bad- sounding Blaupunkt 6 CD in-dash changer. I never replaced the Blaupunkt because all eight speakers are rated at 2 Ohms and pulling the interior apart to change to speakers compatible with any other unit would be stupid.

BTW, my Holden has DIGITAL fuel injection and a bad- sounding Blaupunkt 6 CD in-dash changer. I never replaced the Blaupunkt because all eight speakers are rated at 2 Ohms and pulling the interior apart to change to speakers compatible with any other unit would be stupid.
I've got a bad sounding Pioneer single-disc "Premium" sound system. Alleged subwoofer in the trunk, tweeters on the A-pillars. Still sounds like crapola.
I'd replace it with something better except the wiring harness is more expensive than the stereo.
So, I never use it. Nothing to listen on radio here and I hate dealing with CDs in the car. You guessed it, no Blue Tooth, no aux input either. Premium, my patoot.

Reasonable to guess that it's a Ya Horng from Taiwan, same as multiple models from Teac, Fluance, and others. I own a Fluance RT81 for two years now and it has been an excellent performer.

I had a look at one of these yesterday at my local big box store.

View attachment 1386702

Yamaha Music Cast Vinyl 500, AU$899 (ouch)

It's very nice to look at, my partner thought it was very 'pretty'. Gloss finish, plastic buttons however. Arm was respectable and the main pivot upper was metal not plastic. Nice enough little arm. Cueing plastic and a bit cheap. A bit of bearing play in the horizontal bearing, not the vertical.

Platter lightweight, but OK. Tiny main bearing movement, but miles above the usual in cheap TTs.

Never seen a TT with a LAN connection before!

View attachment 1386703

Switchable preamp, music cast, streaming, wifi etc etc.

Check out the specs:

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/aud...s/musiccast_vinyl_500/specs.html#product-tabs

Turns your old-skool HiFi system into a streamer too. All in all, very much aimed at hipsters and Dad who wants to play his old records from the glory days before the kids were born.

Reasonable to guess that it's a Ya Horng from Taiwan, same as multiple models from Teac, Fluance, and others. I own a Fluance RT81 for two years now and it has been an excellent performer.
Local dude who has a hi-fi blog really likes the Fluance. Considerably less expensive than the Yamaha, though, right?

It is quite appropriate to discuss Holden Monaro Coupes with Chevrolet badges. We are after all discussing a turntable with a Yamaha badge which is as Yamaha as the Monaro is Chevy.

The Holden Monaro is a real General Motors car, best known in the USA as the Pontiac GTO. Yamaha's turntable discussed here is a YINO (Yamaha In Name Only). Meaning someone else (most likely Ya Horng in Taiwan) built it for Yamaha.

I paid $32,000 U.S. for my Holden HSV in 2004. Same car was over $50,000 in Aussieland. Granted, they stripped out side air bags, auto A.C,. memory seats, sunroof, more colors, and changed the nose. But still quite a difference. Why is money worth so much less in such a cool place?
$32000 US is $45478.83 AUD The rest of the difference is taxes.

Back
Top Bottom