When is enough,enough?

55Redneck

Canadian Redneck
I was reading the thread on The Who putting out a new studio album when a post by RT Fan put this thought in my head. I have been a huge Jimmy Buffett fan since the 70's but that has changed in the last few years. I'm thinking there's nothing this guy won't do for a buck, example, Radio Margarittaville, Margarittaville Cafe, putting out a new album of almost every live performance he's done in the last 2 decades, Hell he even put his name on a line of retirement homes. He's written some best selling books (most of which I've read,and he can write). Maybe it's in his blood considering his Uncle Warren has done pretty good in the world of money but I often wonder when will there be enough money to stop all the new money making enterprises? Buffett isn't the only guilty one in the music world (Don Henley cough cough). I'm sure if he could he'd prop Frey's corpse in front of a mic stand and tie a guitar to him just to go on with the show, and make some more cash.

That's my rant for the day, there's many more in the music biz that fit in with my rant but in my mind these two are the standouts.

Never gave,it any thought so I just looked.
Not actually related.
Though Jimmy (in 2016) was valued at 550 million .
Maybe he,just likes,playing monopoly with real money.
I suspect the Who might actually need a payday:dunno:

While there,are,exceptions, generally the performers I loved from 30 or 40 years,ago, I'd prefer to remember as they were YMMV

I agree Mr. Redneck. My wife pointed out to me that tickets for Jimmy Buffett's show at the Jones Beach theater went on sale yesterday morning. I told her no way was I going to shell out $300 for us to go see him. This trend of selling tickets 6-8 months in advance is BS! Like JB needs the float on that money for half a year.I have seen him enough times,( the tour with Bill Payne & Sonny Landreth was a great show), that I don't need to hassle with buying tickets to a sold out show where there is NO chance of getting decent seats, as Ticketron or Vivid Seats sell the good ones to scalpers. I guess that is a rant for a different thread.

Having seen the Stones 10 times I won't be going to their 3rd "Top off the family income/Retirement tour", either.

1st time to see Buffett LIVE was April 18, 1979 Auburn University Memorial Coliseum

Somewhere around 10yrs later the wheels started to come off

I can't remember how many times Pink Floyd re-re-re-released their old albums claiming a better sonic experience with each one. To me, the Mo-Fi releases was all I needed.

IMNSHO, their "Endless River" DVD was a dreary, monotonous, plodding, new age disaster. I read it was made of unreleased earlier material. After hearing it, I think I know why. ....but it sounds good.

Last edited:
I agree Mr. Redneck. My wife pointed out to me that tickets for Jimmy Buffett's show at the Jones Beach theater went on sale yesterday morning. I told her no way was I going to shell out $300 for us to go see him. This trend of selling tickets 6-8 months in advance is BS! Like JB needs the float on that money for half a year.I have seen him enough times,( the tour with Bill Payne & Sonny Landreth was a great show), that I don't need to hassle with buying tickets to a sold out show where there is NO chance of getting decent seats, as Ticketron or Vivid Seats sell the good ones to scalpers. I guess that is a rant for a different thread.

Having seen the Stones 10 times I won't be going to their 3rd "Top off the family income/Retirement tour", either.

I was thinking about the Jones Beach Theater the other day and realized that I went to more concerts by boat than I did paying for a seat inside. The sound in Zach's bay wasn't too bad and you had the benefit of not having to drive home if you wanted to stay over.

As long as a band is releasing an album of "NEW" material, I don't see a thing wrong with it. You can usually preview the content of the album online, and if you don't like it, don't buy it. All this remastering of old material though, is just a way for the artist to stay busy and keep the dollars rolling in.JMO!!

When they want to stop, or they can no longer afford to continue with the income from the fan base.

I was taught to never criticize a persons ability to make a LEGAL dollar. I do know Buffet does have a Charity and he does donate his money to causes that concern him as well as donating money from concerts to cause like Hurricane Katrina,recently Puerto Rico.
Have read a few of his books,they were good,have never been to one of his concerts and only own one album of his.
https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr...-buffett/RK=2/RS=NhtByJvuaw5BZoSNp3dk3.XRVvs-

Last edited:
Then again some artists do have a creative itch that needs to be scratched occasionally. They - for better or worse - have to work within the music industry which is populated by agents, accountants, marketing folks, distributors and retailers and promoters, and all of those folks want to get paid too.

(Don Henley cough cough). I'm sure if he could he'd prop Frey's corpse in front of a mic stand and tie a guitar to him just to go on with the show, and make some more cash.

He did. And he renamed the corpse Vince Gill.

The way I look at it is using Zappa Plays Zappa as my example ,Frank put out 64 albums in his lifetime but left 4 vaults full of unreleased music ,including an album with Al Dimeola nobody has heard ,after his death the family released another 38 albums from the vault which brought his total up to 102 albums ,the added albums are for die hard mother's freaks like me ,however ,the Frank Zappa tribute band being lead by Frank's son Dweezil tours constantly at every festival in the world ,and they turn on a new generation to music with compositional skills and something real to say vs gangsta rap ,or in the immortal words of Tony Iommi " who the hell is M & M ,no he can't sing on my album " .

Every concert buffet plays he introduces at least a dozen brain deads who think rapping is being a musician to real music ,with the loss of so many iconic musicians from the best era of music ever " 1970s " having passed away we should be thankfully JB is even touring ,if Frank Zappa was alive today I'd pay $3,000 in advance to watch one of his orchestral performances considering I paid $1,200 in 1990 for orchestra pit seating .

The way I look at it is using Zappa Plays Zappa as my example ,Frank put out 64 albums in his lifetime but left 4 vaults full of unreleased music ,including an album with Al Dimeola nobody has heard ,after his death the family released another 38 albums from the vault which brought his total up to 102 albums ,the added albums are for die hard mother's freaks like me ,however ,the Frank Zappa tribute band being lead by Frank's son Dweezil tours constantly at every festival in the world ,and they turn on a new generation to music with compositional skills and something real to say vs gangsta rap ,or in the immortal words of Tony Iommi " who the hell is M & M ,no he can't sing on my album " .

Every concert buffet plays he introduces at least a dozen brain deads who think rapping is being a musician to real music ,with the loss of so many iconic musicians from the best era of music ever " 1970s " having passed away we should be thankfully JB is even touring ,if Frank Zappa was alive today I'd pay $3,000 in advance to watch one of his orchestral performances considering I paid $1,200 in 1990 for orchestra pit seating .
"All Audio, No Attitude"?

Back
Top Bottom