Electro Voice Sentry III restoration

Say Steve, if you feel like it and have a smart phone it would really be a treat for us if you'd shoot a video of your system for us and post it in the below link. We all understand we won't be able to hear the dynamics you hear at home, but it's the same for every ones system, yet we post and we enjoy seeing others.

All of us would really like to see these in action.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....-of-your-systems-lets-see-and-hear-it.782592/

Say Steve, if you feel like it and have a smart phone it would really be a treat for us if you'd shoot a video of your system for us and post it in the below link. We all understand we won't be able to hear the dynamics you hear at home, but it's the same for every ones system, yet we post and we enjoy seeing others.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....-of-your-systems-lets-see-and-hear-it.782592/
I have tried a few times to do a decent video and wasn't too impressed, I now have a little better phone so I will give it another go sometime.

Tried this morning to tape a video, highs were ringing horribly. I will have to figure out what's going on. Now this was my 4435s, will try the Sentry IIIs later.

Tried this morning to tape a video, highs were ringing horribly. I will have to figure out what's going on. Now this was my 4435s, will try the Sentry IIIs later.

Most of us in that thread listen to the vids via headphones. To be honest I've had difficulty using my Note 8 to record vids of my system myself but it didn't stop me from posting, as anyone with ADS speakers knows how they sound. Some things Ive learned. If your recording from a video camera and can adjust the mic gain, keep it set to not peak above -12db. Record further back so the sound has a chance to develop. Thanks tons for trying Steve. Really looking forward to seeing your work in action.

Most of us in that thread listen to the vids via headphones. To be honest I've had difficulty using my Note 8 to record vids of my system myself but it didn't stop me from posting, as anyone with ADS speakers knows how they sound. Some things Ive learned. If your recording from a video camera and can adjust the mic gain, keep it set to not peak above -12db. Record further back so the sound has a chance to develop. Thanks tons for trying Steve. Really looking forward to seeing your work in action.
I believe I remember changes happened to how we attach videos some time back, so someone will probably have to walk me through how that's done.

If you uploaded to Youtube, you can just post (paste) the link in here. "Here" meaning the Show us your system thread.

Looks like I successfully uploaded a video of the Sentry III's on Glenn's thread, hopefully they don't end up blocking these like before. I used a somewhat dirty Stevie R Vaughn record, and at one point my dog barked in the background. Lighting was poor in one video, but I think they give good impressions of how good the EV's sound. Bass is much to my liking when playing vinyl, I'll have to try a different CD player to see if it helps with bass also.

Looks like I successfully uploaded a video of the Sentry III's on Glenn's thread, hopefully they don't end up blocking these like before. I used a somewhat dirty Stevie R Vaughn record, and at one point my dog barked in the background. Lighting was poor in one video, but I think they give good impressions of how good the EV's sound. Bass is much to my liking when playing vinyl, I'll have to try a different CD player to see if it helps with bass also.

Great!! ... I'll buzz over and check it out Steve. No worries on the video my friend, I have failed in every way possible to do those vids. I've not given up though. I have conceded to the fact that there is no way to get a YT video to even compare to what I hear at home. And that's okay, because everyone else posting in there knows as well. So glad you did this.

Theres a lady down here in the Dallas area selling a pair of these. Her price is all over the place in terms of what she's selling them for via the bay, 5mile and CL. Cab's from what pics she has looks to be in need of some serious restoration repairs. I considered them after watching your thread, but in all honesty I have limited space and I'm holding out what space I have for a set of ADS L910's. If I had the time I'd sure like to pick those Sentry's up and restore them. I'd like to have something with horns in it and those would be something I'd definitely be interested in.

Theres a lady down here in the Dallas area selling a pair of these. Her price is all over the place in terms of what she's selling them for via the bay, 5mile and CL. Cab's from what pics she has looks to be in need of some serious restoration repairs. I considered them after watching your thread, but in all honesty I have limited space and I'm holding out what space I have for a set of ADS L910's. If I had the time I'd sure like to pick those Sentry's up and restore them. I'd like to have something with horns in it and those would be something I'd definitely be interested in.
These videos definitely don't do the systems justice, but you can get a sense of the impact and clarity. The horns on the sentry 3s are most certainly the smoothest and best quality sounding I have owned.

Noooooo!!! Welp, best laid plans. Sorry to hear that Steve, but in the end you have something special.
I thought someone posted that they had extra drivers for these if I needed anything, but I didn't see it in the thread. I removed the tweeter and it shows open, not sure what happened considering they have a tweeter protection circuit, and I haven't put more than 40 watts to them. Maybe just old age.

I thought someone posted that they had extra drivers for these if I needed anything, but I didn't see it in the thread. I removed the tweeter and it shows open, not sure what happened considering they have a tweeter protection circuit, and I haven't put more than 40 watts to them. Maybe just old age.

Drivers hard to find?

Drivers hard to find?
I have a line on someone that has 3 of them hiding around his place, he says the challenge is finding them.

Bummer! :(

Perhaps it opened at one of the leads (old solder joint) and could be an easy repair.
I will try and see if this one can be repaired after getting a replacement, that will give me a spare and not be a destructive waste of time if I fail.

I have a line on someone that has 3 of them hiding around his place, he says the challenge is finding them.

I will try and see if this one can be repaired after getting a replacement, that will give me a spare and not be a destructive waste of time if I fail.

This is what I've been doing on my ADS L1230 and L810's. They share the same tweeter, mids and woofers. This way if something goes out I can just replace and get the borked one fixed without being ... without.

I found an exact replacement tweeter and ordered it, looks like there are A and B versions and mine are equipped with the A type (round magnet). I also learned that the replacement diaphragms are not exact matches, and I'd have to replace them in both tweeters. I decided trying to keep them both with original diaphragms was the way to go for now, and I will possibly get a pair of diaphragms to have on hand in case another fails. I read that Crites has the closest to original replacements.

Back
Top Bottom