What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

The Night The Light Went On In Long Beach - 12 May 1974
50401059_2327839090780241_4907846016604045312_o.jpg
Very creative use of angles in this pic!!!

Mr Blue Sky, although it was released as a single, was actually a part of Concerto For A Rainy Day. Listening to the whole work is interesting.

I was listening to an OGWT interview with a 25 year old Rick Wakeman earlier (no prizes for guessing I’d hunt that one down). He commented on just how ridiculous it is to attempt to slot music into neat little pigeon holes when he was asked about some idiot who panned his Toronto concert for not being “rock and roll”.

He mentioned several composers and posed the question “Why should everything prior to 1928 be considered classical?”

Can JS Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Debussy, Rachmaninov all be considered to be writing the same style of music? It’s ridiculous even to consider that they can, considering the timespan and geography involved.

We like names. Oh, yes. That was written during the Baroque period, so it’s baroque. Bullshit. The composers didn’t sit there and think “Oh, I must conform to a certain set of rules for this period.” They just got on with the job.

Rick wasn’t writing rock and roll, Beethoven was breaking the rules and forging new paths. One of Johann Strauss’ best known pieces nearly flopped because he wrote it with words, against all advice (Blue Danube).

Lynne was looking for something different and he found it. The size and makeup of ELO was unique as far as I’m aware. Emerson found an entirety different way of being different, and both bands have made it down the years, retaining their old audience and finding new ones.
As usual, well said, Kevin.

I need to go shopping with you! lol

This one is 25, and I couldn’t stand her prior. I tried to listen to this album on Spotify at work one day. Was crap. Than a few weeks later my gal wanted the album... she’s got 2-3 in the mix lol so anyway, I get it for her, played it one evening and had the Ah Ha!! Moment, you have to really focus on her but when she’s on point, she’s fantastic and this albim is full of her being on point lol

She’s great on LP :)

She's good live too. Best SQ I've heard at a concert, the engineers did a stellar job.

I managed to score some tickets as a member of the football club who shifted their game to another stadium so ol' leatherlungs could have another night. I thought I could gift them to my wife and she'd go with her daughter but she wanted to go with me. So I was one of the 1% of guys present, dragged in by wives and girlfriends. It was a good gig....and I really don't like her material that much, but like it enough for my wife's sake. Adele swears like a sailor and there were gasps to start with but they soon got used to it.

I bought my wife an LP later on, so she could share the hobby.

adele.jpg

Back
Top Bottom