It seems to me he'd be one of us.

I've worked In 2 different African countries on US government installations ,a few things I learned while working with Africans is #1 they will take everything that's not nailed down ,they would dig through our dumpsters and take home empty 5 gallon chemical buckets ,any size scrap wood ,broken glass ,they even took the shrink wrap discadred after opening pallets , that stereo is already gone ,the guides who took him there had cohorts take it all just as soon as the artist crossed the next dune ,garanteed it's long gone.

I also learned that when the state Dept & FBI indoctrinate you before working on any forigen embassy compound you should follow every rule to the letter , we we're told we couldn't pay any African laborers ,the state Dept was In charge of their pay which was $ 26 cents an hour & we we're to give them absolutely nothing ,not even our discarded work clothes ,all tools were provided by the state Dept & they had to be checked in at the end of every shift just like working on a prison, the last week In Angola the big boss flew in to go over miniscule punch list items and decided the state Dept we're assholes for only paying African laborers a quarter an hour , on our 2nd to last day he handed out a crisp $100 bill to every laborer ,that was the last time we saw them ,they took the $100 bills and bought weapons they then used to slaughter every man woman & child in a village they'd been at war with for decades ,had the boss not of already left Africa for Sweden he would have been arrested by the US MP's ,had the boss been a US citizen instead of a citizen of Sweden the state Dept would have brought him back to face trial.

The only worse place to work that I've been to is Saudi Arabia .

The story goes that when Berlin finished writing the song he excitedly told his secretary it was the best song he’d written. And then on second thought he said it was the best song ever written. I understand.

I just finished reading "As Thousands Cheer" and learning about his techniques and principles of composition was fascinating. Short version: he was all about simplifying and stripping everything he came up with to its bare essence. Seemed to have worked pretty well for him.

I've worked In 2 different African countries on US government installations ,a few things I learned while working with Africans is #1 they will take everything that's not nailed down ,they would dig through our dumpsters and take home empty 5 gallon chemical buckets ,any size scrap wood ,broken glass ,they even took the shrink wrap discadred after opening pallets , that stereo is already gone ,the guides who took him there had cohorts take it all just as soon as the artist crossed the next dune ,garanteed it's long gone.

I also learned that when the state Dept & FBI indoctrinate you before working on any forigen embassy compound you should follow every rule to the letter , we we're told we couldn't pay any African laborers ,the state Dept was In charge of their pay which was $ 26 cents an hour & we we're to give them absolutely nothing ,not even our discarded work clothes ,all tools were provided by the state Dept & they had to be checked in at the end of every shift just like working on a prison, the last week In Angola the big boss flew in to go over miniscule punch list items and decided the state Dept we're assholes for only paying African laborers a quarter an hour , on our 2nd to last day he handed out a crisp $100 bill to every laborer ,that was the last time we saw them ,they took the $100 bills and bought weapons they then used to slaughter every man woman & child in a village they'd been at war with for decades ,had the boss not of already left Africa for Sweden he would have been arrested by the US MP's ,had the boss been a US citizen instead of a citizen of Sweden the state Dept would have brought him back to face trial.

The only worse place to work that I've been to is Saudi Arabia .

Wow, truly amazing and harrowing. Sometimes I think we don't realize how lucky we are to live where we do.

Meanwhile, in the future:

6uq79f94ijb11.gif
Cavemen?

Not really, but sortof. I'll stop there to avoid spoilers even though it's 50 years old (ouch! LOL).

It's from the opening sequence of 2001: A Space Odyssey, which if you haven't seen it, it might not make sense.

But if you haven't seen it, BY ALL MEANS, Hulu, Netflix, local DVD rental, or whatever, it is absolutely a 'must watch' movie.

Not really, but sortof. I'll stop there to avoid spoilers even though it's 50 years old (ouch! LOL).

It's from the opening sequence of 2001: A Space Odyssey, which if you haven't seen it, it might not make sense.

But if you haven't seen it, BY ALL MEANS, Hulu, Netflix, local DVD rental, or whatever, it is absolutely a 'must watch' movie.

Gee, I thought just about everyone has seen 2001.

Gee, I thought just about everyone has seen 2001.

I'll admit, for most of my life, I knew it existed, but for whatever reason I hadn't seen it until it popped up on Amazon Prime movies last springtime. I watched it several times just to absorb the whole story, cinematography, and presentation. By far one of the best movies I've ever seen, and probably the best I've seen in the Sci-Fi genre - followed by Terminator 2, Avatar, Gattaca, and Ex Machina.

It does have a glacial pace at times, but how else to convey the intense boredom inherent in long-distance space travel? I still think it's a masterpiece but I know that young (<40) people tend not to like it. It pioneered so many things though, and that can be sort of meaningless if you grew up on the things it pioneered.

For me, the most amazing thing about Kubrick is how different from one another his movies are. Yet he mastered virtually every type, and virtually all of his flicks are great--many are knockouts--with the conspicuous exception of the last one.

Cool art. Including other songs would alter the purity.

Well, I don't know, maybe just add Hotel California.

Back
Top Bottom