Working on acoustics.

I can only dream about having a room dedicated to my stereo but it is fun to live vicariously through your adventures. Thanks for sharing.

I often hear that the room is 50% of what we hear from our systems. After your recent changes what do you think of that statement?
I agree, maybe more. I'm listening to albums that sounded like crap before. Thought they were just bad pressing. But now those same albums are sounding great. I'm more than happy with the outcome. Now I need a new preamp. :rflmao:

Funny you brought that up. I just ordered some foam wedges to try out. Don't know if they work but I'm willing to try.

It sure does appear that you know what you're doing so far. Looking forward to what you may do with the ceiling if anything at all. I've seen combinations of fixed panels, cloud panels and diffusers.

It sure does appear that you know what you're doing so far. Looking forward to what you may do with the ceiling if anything at all. I've seen combinations of fixed panels, cloud panels and diffusers.
I do not know what I'm doing. Just going by what others have done. As far the ceiling goes not sure. I haven't found away to temporary hang anything. Don't want to put holes in the ceiling if it's not going to work.

I only got to play two songs but I can tell so far the bass is tighter. They are going to work great. There sitting on brass spikes now so they penetrate the carpet plus the stands add about 25lbs to the speakers.
Noice!! Enjoy!!

While I haven't replaced the stands (yet) IMO my 1.7's sound better with the original stands on spikes.

I do not know what I'm doing. Just going by what others have done. As far the ceiling goes not sure. I haven't found away to temporary hang anything. Don't want to put holes in the ceiling if it's not going to work.

This is some of the stuff I've been looking at for experimenting on the ceiling. One is a thermoplastic mold from Auralex. The other is similar to the expanded polystyrene from RPG. They can be painted. There are some Auralex 12x12 wedge foams here mounted as 24"x24" onto poster board.
All of it is light enough to be temporarily fixed with poster putty.

I don't know what I'm doing either, but your efforts are aligning well with what I know so far. The books on acoustics usually put me right to sleep before I get anything out of them.

upload_2019-1-9_16-49-59.pngupload_2019-1-9_17-5-31.pngupload_2019-1-9_17-10-5.png

This is some of the stuff I've been looking at for experimenting on the ceiling. One is a thermoplastic mold from Auralex. The other is similar to the expanded polystyrene from RPG. They can be painted. There are some Auralex 12x12 wedge foams here mounted as 24"x24" onto poster board.
All of it is light enough to be temporarily fixed with poster putty.

I don't know what I'm doing either, but your efforts are aligning well with what I know so far. The books on acoustics usually put me right to sleep before I get anything out of them.

View attachment 1381218View attachment 1381235View attachment 1381237
Thanks! I will take a look at them.

Your room treatments look great. And the Mye stands, too. Any comments on the Mye stands install or quality build?

My 1.7i standard stands did not come with any pads etc to stick to underside. I though at $2k, they could have put something in the box. I rubber sleeve or self-stick pads.
Mine sit on vinyl plank flooring. Won't have spikes to damage floor.
I attached thin vinyl self stick pads under.

Your room treatments look great. And the Mye stands, too. Any comments on the Mye stands install or quality build?

My 1.7i standard stands did not come with any pads etc to stick to underside. I though at $2k, they could have put something in the box. I rubber sleeve or self-stick pads.
Mine sit on vinyl plank flooring. Won't have spikes to damage floor.
I attached thin vinyl self stick pads under.
You would think that Magnepan would supply better stands. My 1.7's would slide on the carpet easily plus sway back and forth. The new Mye stands are awesome. A lot heavier and you can see how they are braced. They do make a difference in sound. Once my room is finished I will be experimenting more with the speakers. Adding weight to them, try removing the spikes and so on to see if there will be a major difference in sound.

Did you put the spikes on the original stands? My 1.7i's stands did not have spikes.

I placed spikes under the original stands. Small dabs of Bluetack keep them in place.
41xxynifW-L.jpg
I got two sets of these from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Speak...id=1547819681&sr=8-14&keywords=speaker+spikes

Last edited:
Snowy day here in NH so I built a CD rack to get rid of the shelves I had on the side wall. First picture shows the shelves on the wall. Second new rack I built and painted it to match my rack. Puts all the media on the back wall.IMG_0657.JPG IMG_0695.JPG

Two more pieces to the puzzle. Got the idea from AK member grey. There made from plastic and very light. Easy to hang on the ceiling. I just bought two to try. There not cheap. IMG_0704.JPG

Question for the experts. Do I hang the Aurelex panels at first refection points on the ceiling? Or over the listeners head?

Back
Top Bottom