Found a pair of Cerwin Vega DX9 without Woofers...suggestions?

absolve2525

I just bought a fixer-upper pair of DX9s in pretty good shape, aside from the fact that the woofers are missing. The owner canibalized them for some D9s he owns. Does anyone know what model woofer these use? I have a pair of heavy Selenium WPU-1505 15" Woofs with 4" voice coils, and plopped them inside the DX9s for now. Not bad! I know I'll have to adjust the crossover coils since its an 8ohm unit versus the 4ohm CV woofer. However, it will keep me entertained while I keep an eye out for the CV woofers. Does anyone know the crossover values in the DX9? I'll have to figure out what I need to adjust. I like the clarity of the tweeter and midrange in this model! I have a pair of AT-15 sitting to the side while I have some fun with these DX9s. Heres a link the Seleniums... I might just make a Frankenspeaker out of this one if I cant find the exact woofs or possibly biamp them. Thanks!

http://www.selenium.com.br/sitenovo/admin/Documentos/WPU1505_i.pdf

DX9 with Selenium Photo :

Attachments

• DX9andWPU1505s.jpg
    DX9andWPU1505s.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 51
Just keep your eyes open for a set of original cv woofers on ebay or cl. They pop up here and there. worth restoring. IMHO

I really like that series and particular model. A friends older brother had a set way back when. They could rock the house and had good clarity as well. This was with a crappy bpc jvc receiver also. We tipically rocked out to his d-1's in the basement though so we didnt disturb his mom quite as much. LOL

While we're here now anyways,so do tell how'd it all work out ?

Did you like the DX9's w/the OE woofers ???

My friend has a pair of DX9's and he likes 'em a lot,he also has a pair of CLS-215 as well.
A while back he upgraded from a Sunfire 300-2 amp (300wpc > 8ohms / 600wpc > 4ohms) to some Bryston 7BST mono blocks (500wpc > 8ohms / 800wpc > 4ohms).
Problem is now with his 4ohm DX9s the volume knob of his Yamaha C4 preamp should be considered a lethal weapon.
So he's mostly been using those 6ohm CLS-215 as the two 15" woofers seem soak up the excess wpc a little better.
And he also has some Infinity K9's that were down while he got a hold of some polydome mids.
He says those should be back up & running pretty soon,but he's also been pretty busy too.
Those K9's will give the Bryston mono-blocks a real torture test.

Anyhow I currently have a pair of LS-12 I picked up a while back for a good price,too cheap to pass up.
Also have a pair of E-712 that I bought brand new (still have the boxes too).

So yeah I dig CV stuff myself.

Bret P.

I still have them! Currently in the garage since room inside is limited. I refoamed them also, which was pretty easy. I have to go around inside and reglue the panels, since they came loose over time. The rear panel mainly, which buzzes and rattles at high volumes. Not a big deal. I plan to do that when it warms up. I like em!
While we're here now anyways,so do tell how'd it all work out ?

Did you like the DX9's w/the OE woofers ???

My friend has a pair of DX9's and he likes 'em a lot,he also has a pair of CLS-215 as well.
A while back he upgraded from a Sunfire 300-2 amp (300wpc > 8ohms / 600wpc > 4ohms) to some Bryston 7BST mono blocks (500wpc > 8ohms / 800wpc > 4ohms).
Problem is now with his 4ohm DX9s the volume knob of his Yamaha C4 preamp should be considered a lethal weapon.
So he's mostly been using those 6ohm CLS-215 as the two 15" woofers seem soak up the excess wpc a little better.
And he also has some Infinity K9's that were down while he got a hold of some polydome mids.
He says those should be back up & running pretty soon,but he's also been pretty busy too.
Those K9's will give the Bryston mono-blocks a real torture test.

Anyhow I currently have a pair of LS-12 I picked up a while back for a good price,too cheap to pass up.
Also have a pair of E-712 that I bought brand new (still have the boxes too).

So yeah I dig CV stuff myself.

Bret P.

I still have them! Currently in the garage since room inside is limited. I refoamed them also, which was pretty easy. I have to go around inside and reglue the panels, since they came loose over time. The rear panel mainly, which buzzes and rattles at high volumes. Not a big deal. I plan to do that when it warms up. I like em!
Someone played them so hard they literally came unglued,ha ha I like that,that's like a badge of honor for CV's I guess,LOL.
Glad you like them,the garage is probably a good place for some big CV's,more room to let 'em breath.

My friend had first bought some D9's but those got busted up during shipping,so yeah the cabs are'nt necessarily the strongest.
So you might wanna add some additional bracing to them when you'ew in there regluing the baffles.
And adding some stuffing might be a good idea too.

Enjoy !

Bret P.

Hey,

Yeah, I added some extra stuffing to a pair of speakers a while back. I lost absolutely all of my mid bass slam. I've got a really nice pair of DX9's in my shop awaiting new foam and caps. They'd been in my local PC chop shop for decades, mostly unused. I've also got a pair of DX5's, nice rigs as well. It's tough to find a pair of speakers that will Out Fun Cerwin Vegas.

Biggles

Back
Top Bottom