Scored a sweet Realistic Lab-400

DougNM3

I ended up jumping on my local Craigslist yesterday while taking a break at work and started to comb for interesting audio gear. No real good amps, no real amazing speakers, but in searching for TT's, I stumbled upon a listing for a good condition Lab-400. I thought about it for all of 30 seconds, looked them up on here and on eBay to see what they are selling for, and promptly called the seller.

He seemed like a good dude. Had some other gear he was trying to unload, none of which was overly amazing. But the pics and his description of this TT was right up my alley! He said it was in good condition with no major damage, and said the last time he used it, it sounded good. He had another TT he was using with a better cartridge, so this one was up for sale. He went on to tell me how he'd promised this to a friend, but that friend never came round to acquire it, so up for sale it went.

I'm hoping I can get some pics on here, but the pics don't do it justice... We ended up meeting up today and after a good once-over, I decided it was worth the $75 he was asking for and happily handed over my money. I figured, for the money, there was some risk in not testing it, but the guy seemed super honest, so I figured WTH and went for it.

After getting it home, I first hooked it up and put a beater vinyl on just to test. Sure enough, as described, it worked flawlessly! All the functions work as they should, and there's no weird issues at all. It just plays! After fiddling with the settings, I disconnected it and promptly went to work cleaning it. Not that much dust, and after cleaning every surface, I found absolutely no damage to the platter and nothing wrong with anything. Talk about a diamond in the rough!

It might sound crazy, but this is replacing a Marantz 6350Q that's got some cosmetic and functionality issues. I might try to work out the kinks in the Marantz, but darn it if I'm not pleased as punch with the automated function of the Realistic!

At any rate, I thought I'd take a moment to share. This is running through my Sansui 4000 to a pair of KEF Reference 102/2's and I'm pretty well satisfied with the setup. Next upgrade will definitely be a higher quality cartridge. It's got the factory original R1000E on it and seems to be pretty sonically clean. IMG_3984.JPG IMG_3985.JPG

Nice score! I would have personally replaced the Marantz with this even if it was in top condition. The Lab-400 is the one TT I regret selling years ago, a solid workhorse!

Nice!!! there is a Lab 440 local to me for sale. How does that compare to the 400?

Nashou

I think the Lab-500 and the Lab-420 are the only other two that are in the 400's league. Maybe some of the earlier Elac produced units could compete. :)

I got a Lab 400 free from a friend a number of years ago and wasn't expecting much, but it is a fantastic TT, no issues ever, just a solid performer

Nice!!! there is a Lab 440 local to me for sale. How does that compare to the 400?

Nashou

I only own the 440, but can tell you some details about it. First off, it's been a really reliable table for me. It sounds great with the R1000xt (Shure M95) at 1.5gr. The speed has been spot on and the auto features work well. When I got it the original cart had a bad channel. Cartridge replacement was all that was required to get it working perfectly.

It has a plastic gimbal bearing assembly, but it hasn't been a problem. It also has a light, straight arm vs. the Technics-like arm of the 400/420. The plinth is thin, vinyl clad particle board.

Despite the compromises in build to the previous versions, I have to say it is a solid table. I've been enjoying mine for over three years trouble free.

Nice score! I would have personally replaced the Marantz with this even if it was in top condition. The Lab-400 is the one TT I regret selling years ago, a solid workhorse!

Thanks Hajidub! Yeah, good to know that I'm not making a rash choice on swapping with the Marantz. The Marantz was good to learn how to work on a table, but with the 400 proving to do everything well, I'm kind of glad I don't need to fiddle with it. Time to sell the Marantz and recoup my costs, or sink those funds into a better cartridge.

Thanks Hajidub! Yeah, good to know that I'm not making a rash choice on swapping with the Marantz. The Marantz was good to learn how to work on a table, but with the 400 proving to do everything well, I'm kind of glad I don't need to fiddle with it. Time to sell the Marantz and recoup my costs, or sink those funds into a better cartridge.

I dunno, always good to have a hot backup in this game we call "vintage."

I have a LAB-440, I love it. It is reliable, sounds great, and TOUGH. Mine has cats sleeping on it on a regular basis and shrugs it off. Damn fine table.

Yep. I always felt like the Marantz TT's were bit of a let down compared to the other components.

I concur with "likebike23". I too have a 440 and love it. It had the original R1000 EDT cartridge and ironically it also had a bad channel. I was able to source out a "new/old" stock Shure M75ED Type II cartridge with a Shure N75ED Type II stylus and I couldn't be happier with the sound. I'm a little new at this and in the midst of trying to ensure proper settings for overhang and also IGD settings, with one of the common three paper protractor gauges. It's hard to find any proper specs for this TT. I don't get any obvious distortion now but would still like to tinker to get everything right.

I concur with "likebike23". I too have a 440 and love it. It had the original R1000 EDT cartridge and ironically it also had a bad channel. I was able to source out a "new/old" stock Shure M75ED Type II cartridge with a Shure N75ED Type II stylus and I couldn't be happier with the sound. I'm a little new at this and in the midst of trying to ensure proper settings for overhang and also IGD settings, with one of the common three paper protractor gauges. It's hard to find any proper specs for this TT. I don't get any obvious distortion now but would still like to tinker to get everything right.
There is a copy of the LAB-440 Owner's Manual available at vinylengine.com. You need to register (that's free) and then you can download a copy. According to the manual, overhang is 16mm.

Back
Top Bottom