TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

I just wanted to chime in and say that I asked for a recommendation for a TPA based amp on this thread and you all recommended an FX502 and I love it. I recommended it to a friend, he got one and loves it too.

Based on its simplicity and small size I convinced my non audiophile sister to take my Snell EII speakers and the little FX and she was wowed. Those EIIs are lit up by the FX. I haven't heard a speaker "mismatch" yet. They all seem good!

Right now my Dynaco MKIIIs are down undergoing un upgrade project and I have the FX in their place until that project is done. I am really not missing them sound quality wise, but I love their looks.

Spreading the TPA gospel here and bringing music into people's lives. Its all getting better.

I just wanted to chime in and say that I asked for a recommendation for a TPA based amp on this thread and you all recommended an FX502 and I love it. I recommended it to a friend, he got one and loves it too.

Based on its simplicity and small size I convinced my non audiophile sister to take my Snell EII speakers and the little FX and she was wowed. Those EIIs are lit up by the FX. I haven't heard a speaker "mismatch" yet. They all seem good!

Right now my Dynaco MKIIIs are down undergoing un upgrade project and I have the FX in their place until that project is done. I am really not missing them sound quality wise, but I love their looks.

Spreading the TPA gospel here and bringing music into people's lives. Its all getting better.

Ah! Cool, Told my brother about that one and the Fx preamp, he bought them both, he recons they're better than sex, I'm a bit sceptical ....

I am looking for suggestion regarding Volt+ and Volt+D power supply...i have decided to pull the trigger for linear regulated power supply to help these amplifiers to reach their best potential..so shall i go for a 19 volt 6 amp supply or 22- 23 volt 5 amp supply...i am asking because Allo said 18- 19 volt is the sweet spot and also said Volt+ D will reach approximately 60 watt per channel with a 23 volt PSU.
Can someone please throw some light of reasoning and help me which one to choose??

With my Volt+D (TPA3118) which uses one internal capacitance multiplier and one outboard ( mounted on top) I can't discern much of an advantage using a linear regulated vs the standard 19v power brick ( SMPS ). No way for me to do an A/B comparison but Allo claims the CM's make it possible to use a cheaper power supply.

P1010026.jpg

Last edited:
i am asking because Allo said 18- 19 volt is the sweet spot and also said Volt+ D will reach approximately 60 watt per channel with a 23 volt PSU.
Can someone please throw some light of reasoning and help me which one to choose??

I have never seen any objective evidence that this sweet spot actually exists.
I don't know if Allo have any such evidence, I would like to see it if they do.
I can't identify any audible difference between 19V and 24V using a variable voltage (SM) power supply, but that does not qualify as objective, measurable, repeatable evidence because ears and brain are not scientific instruments that can be calibrated. The TPA3116D2 datasheet offers no indication of this sweet spot, but that is only the absence of evidence.

The TPA3116D2 datasheet, however, does provide solid evidence of what you would expect; that increasing the supply voltage available to the chip also increases its ability to generate larger voltage swings on its output, which translates into higher maximum output power before clipping and distortion set in, given an adequate supply of current.

However, the real world difference between 19V and 23V is not going to be a lot, so if you are really struggling for output power I would suggest a different chip. No prizes for guessing.
So for me, budget would be more of a factor than anything. 5A or 6A are both more than enough in my view.

With my Volt+D (TPA3118) which uses one internal capacitance multiplier and one outboard ( mounted on top) I can't discern much of an advantage using a linear regulated vs the standard 19v power brick ( SMPS ). No way for me to do an A/B comparison but Allo claims the CM's make it possible to use a cheaper power supply.

View attachment 1390762
The Capacitance multiplier which sitting on your allo amp...where from you get it and how do you connect it?? Did it make any perciptible difference in sound ?

So PG do you think if i add a linear regulated supply for my 6J1 preamplifier..then it will be a better measure to make improvements in the sound rather than adding a linear regulated PSU to the allo amplifier? Presently i am using the 19 volt power brick that allo is selling and a 12 volt 2 amp wall wart for the 6j1 preamp.

Last edited:
The Capacitance multiplier which sitting on your allo amp...where from you get it and how do you connect it?? Did it make any perciptible difference in sound ?

It came from allo. It plugs into Volt+D and the power supply plugs into it. I have only listened to the +D briefly without it so I really can't say how much difference it makes but allo thinks it does.

So PG do you think if i add a linear regulated supply fro my 6J1 preamplifier..then it will be a better measure to make improvements in the sound rather than adding a linear regulated PSU to the allo amplifier? Presently i am using the 19 volt power brick that allo is selling and a 12 volt 2 amp wall wart for the 6j1 preamp.

I would use the linear regulated with the 6j1.

ASR does have an Allo volt in queue to be measured. But there's probably too many other items in queue as well, since Amir mentioned he had one months ago.

I think something like "sounds better" is probably a hard thing to measure objectively, especially given the whole chicken and egg thing in audio: should it sound like real music or should it convey what's on the actual recording.

Poultrygeist,
I was wondering: were you comparing a 19 volt unregulated supply to a 19 volt linear regulated supply? My volt+D only has the one capacitance multiplier, but I did feel I could hear a difference. Back when it was switching supply vs. Power One regulated supply on my volt+ board, I did find that adjusting the screw that iirc changes the level of capacitance multiplication made a difference with the Power One.

The Pyramid and Astron are linear regulated 12v ( 13.8v ). I use the standard 19v power brick from allo with the Volt+D which IMO sounds excellent with the two CM's.

When I tried the Astron powered Volt+D I did not use the outboard CM. I gave it a brief listen but perhaps I should have listened longer. The +D ( 9.5 x 7 ) is the largest

of the TPA amps and it's strange rectangular shape means it won't sit on top of the Astron ( 7 x 8.25 ). For that reason it's awkward to use them together but if I thought

the Astron was a significant upgrade I'd find a way.

I dont want to be a wet blanket but if this thread is for people trying to have an audiophile system on a strict budget, then this is a great thread. I bought into it. And for good reason. But the question I have always asked, is this the best I can get? Simply put, no. Not even close. Is the Volt+ good even great? Yes. Is it better than more expensive equipment? No. Not at all. Like I said. Don't get me wrong. The Volt+ is seriously one of the best bargains in the hifi world. But I spent more money, a lot more money and the Volt has been sold.

Back
Top Bottom