I hate it when I break an MC cantilever!

Great advice, I never knew it was that simple... apparently. I await Montycat's results: if it works for him, it'll work for everyone. One of MC's 'big mysteries' dispelled.
I have a Benz Micro glider I did it this to it recently and fixed suspension issues.
Most mc have same doughnut suspension.
Chris

I seriously miss needlestein. He was such an enthusiastic music lover.
I’ve kept in touch with him, and still speak to him every once in a while. He retipped one of my Grados not too long ago. It seems he’s doing well and still doing the cartridge thing on fleabay. I miss him on here too though too along with his extremely useful knowledge and posts. He’s a great guy most of all though.

I’ve kept in touch with him, and still speak to him every once in a while. He retipped one of my Grados not too long ago. It seems he’s doing well and still doing the cartridge thing on fleabay. I miss him on here too though too along with his extremely useful knowledge and posts. He’s a great guy most of all though.
Are all bans final? Just wondered.. Dont know what he did but seems a shame.

Send him the Cholla. If you are along I10 west of Tucson there is a jumping cactus needle that is a marvel of nature. Like a cholla on steroids.
The things one can learn on these audio threads! I've heard of great jumping horny toads, but jumping cactus?!!

Which is exactly why I was stupefied that he got banned. Along with Pandovski, one of the bans that have affected me most, as I enjoyed needlestein's enthusiasm.

Needlestein's ban was explained repeatedly, Ad naseum -
he broke rules repeatedly and was giving many warnings and periods of grace.
But if you can't live by the rules, you get banned by the rules.
Its not fair to other sellers who DID follow the rules to let a chronic violator stay.

And remember the basic rule of AK that we all signed when we joined
- you cannot question moderation.

I just heard back from Joseph on the repair of my DS1. He was able to reattach my broken cantilever as my tip had minimal wear!
He said it sounds fantastic. He is the man in my book, and really miss his contribution to AK.

Indeed. He is missed. Probably why it keeps coming up in various threads here.

Last edited:
The things one can learn on these audio threads! I've heard of great jumping horny toads, but jumping cactus?!!

The name comes from those who have experience. Not a good thing. if you touch one needle point the natural reaction is to pull away. These needles touch you, you feel it because it has pierced your skin and hits a nerve. Too late. Pulling away takes a big bud/branch end with you as it breaks off easily. The jumping part comes from any adjoining branches which becomes a spring of sorts and spring back, it flings more buds your direction and they all stick to you.

Now you have 4-5 to 10 depending on if you touch another branch while reacting to the original prick. They cannot be grabbed to pull out. The only way to get them off is with a hair comb. Get under it and fling it away. Then pull out the needles.

Needlestein's ban was explained repeatedly, Ad naseum -
he broke rules repeatedly and was giving many warnings and periods of grace.
But if you can't live by the rules, you get banned by the rules.
Its not fair to other sellers who DID follow the rules to let a chronic violator stay.

And remember the basic rule of AK that we all signed when we joined
- you cannot question moderation.

Heather, my apologies, I never saw any of the apparent myriad explanations, so my bad. And I wasn't questioning per se, just didn't know.
Agreed, ya gotta have rules.

Carry on, and sorry for the thread diversion.

Heather, my apologies, I never saw any of the apparent myriad explanations, so my bad. And I wasn't questioning per se, just didn't know.

Not seeing where you did anything to apologize for and I agree... carry on.

Thanks, its not a problem - hope it did not come off too harsh,
its just folks asking about this is getting old.

I'm sure the mods involved tried many other alternatives before banning anyone -
I've seen them struggle when they have to do it with other folks with issues.

For anyone else -
Like I say, I was't involved in the banning, but,
life is short and I am not going to let this argument surface again ... -
further Q or comments on that subject will just be deleted as a matter of course.

The name comes from those who have experience. Not a good thing. if you touch one needle point the natural reaction is to pull away. These needles touch you, you feel it because it has pierced your skin and hits a nerve. Too late. Pulling away takes a big bud/branch end with you as it breaks off easily. The jumping part comes from any adjoining branches which becomes a spring of sorts and spring back, it flings more buds your direction and they all stick to you.

Now you have 4-5 to 10 depending on if you touch another branch while reacting to the original prick. They cannot be grabbed to pull out. The only way to get them off is with a hair comb. Get under it and fling it away. Then pull out the needles.

^^^^ That's the truth. What everyone may not know is what causes the spines to stick in you so strong. They once showed it on the local news. The spines are actually hooked at the tip on a microscopic level. You can see it under magnification. the tips are incredibly sharp and curved backwards a little, like a fish hook. Once you get one or two into your skin, the whole bud will stick to you and more will pierce you. Good times. Ask me how I know. And yes, just walking dog today passed by one and if you barley brush one with your jacket, 10 more pieces are likely to fall or "jump" in your direction.

Also, they have a real thin skin over the spines/needles, well at least for the teddy-bear cholla. We used to, as kids, pull off the skin and it's very sharp at the point too. It looks real and can actually poke right through your skin, but it's weak and usually bends or breaks. Still hurts but not nearly as bad as a real spine. We would fake out our buddies by pretending to stab them with a spine.

I wonder if anyone knows this if they use them for repair? I don't think all cactus has this property, just the cholla.

Got my DS1 back and it does sound fantastic! Seems I knocked my coils loose and broke the cantilever. The repair was extensive but Glad to have it back and singing again!:music:

Last edited:
I've been remiss. I neglected to inform you that I managed to f.u. the Denon. It has ceased to put out any sound. :(

I think with all the playing around with it (I lossened the screw too and tried to compress the suspension more) I managed to break a wire or wires.

Oh well.

I have an SL15E that came to me with a super glued body and cleanly broken cantilever onto which I carefully and laboriously grafted a elliptical stylus and part cantilever from another cart.
Proud as punch with my handiwork until I tried it only to find that the suspension wire had snapped and broken the coil wires as soon as it played half the record.
It's still secreted away in a draw even though it's worthless now.
That was a good few years ago and with failing eyesight I don't think I could even see the wires now without the aid of very strong magnification.

Back
Top Bottom