Biggest Bang for the Buck Upgrade

Boogelby

Hello Everyone,
Currently looking at starting to upgrade my beginner audio setup. Want to try and replace one piece at a time, but not sure what in my setup would be the limiting factor. Want to start spending ~250-400 per component and slowly upgrade to my next level and see if that's where I draw the line or start selling body parts to get high end audio equipment. Below is a list of my current setup:
Receiver – Yamaha RS202

Speakers – Sony SS-CS3 Pair

TT – Audio Technica AT-LP60

Phono Pre-amp – Schiit Mani

Only caveat is used gear is hard to get past the wife so new in box is preferred.

Hello Everyone,
Currently looking at starting to upgrade my beginner audio setup. Want to try and replace one piece at a time, but not sure what in my setup would be the limiting factor. Want to start spending ~250-400 per component and slowly upgrade to my next level and see if that's where I draw the line or start selling body parts to get high end audio equipment. Below is a list of my current setup:
Receiver – Yamaha RS202

Speakers – Sony SS-CS3 Pair

TT – Audio Technica AT-LP60

Phono Pre-amp – Schiit Mani

Only caveat is used gear is hard to get past the wife so new in box is preferred.

With your budget the last line kinda pulls the rug out from under it lol.

Yeah, that's why I'm posting here haha. I know a lot of folks here have a lot more experience than I do with buying gear. Also that would be 250-400 for each speaker, not for a pair. Not that it'll open up a world of possibilities.

qguy I have thought about a subwoofer, but the receiver doesn't have a sub-out connector. Only A and B speaker connectors. Unless there is a way to hook up a subwoofer into channel B?

Subwoofer would be your best option for me...

Awesome idea, adding instead of replacing, that could be done well within budget. Think Dayton Audio from Parts Express, the Sub 1200 at $148 get two and run them in stereo.

Yeah, that's why I'm posting here haha. I know a lot of folks here have a lot more experience than I do with buying gear. Also that would be 250-400 for each speaker, not for a pair. Not that it'll open up a world of possibilities.

qguy I have thought about a subwoofer, but the receiver doesn't have a sub-out connector. Only A and B speaker connectors. Unless there is a way to hook up a subwoofer into channel B?

Subwoofers usually have speaker connections, speaker B works fine if both A & B can be used at the same time. Or you can run the wires to the sub then from the sub to the speakers, or both from speaker A, all will work.

The rear of the typical powered subwoofer.
1164311-dayton-sub-1200-12-inch-subwoofer (1).jpg

You have to find a sub with hi-level inputs. Then you can hook the sub up right to your amps outputs, you don't even need to use speaker B, just parallel the connections with your existing speaker's terminals. High level inputs on the sub has a very high impedance and will not affect your existing speakers performance, nor will it put an undo strain on your amp.

So I'd run left and right channel into the sub essentially turning it into a 2.1 system with A+B selected?

You got it, the two channels are summed inside the sub. Or you could get two, set one next to each Sony, run the subs as right and left only.

With $800 for a pair some really nice speakers are available, but I think they might highlight the deficiencies of the upstream equipment even more. And again, your budget per piece for "new" equipment becomes a sticking point.

Well that good sir is gorgeous gear that might be able to squeak past the wife. I've been able to pull in 1 piece of used gear so far because it always has to be from a smoke free/pet free source with impeccable cleaning standards (she has extremely bad allergies that can persist even after cleaning a lot of the used gear I've attempted)

I agree with others. Get better speakers first.

Your best bet is to get some vintage speakers. Then buy some boxes that fit the speakers. Or explain to your wife how you are getting such great value and saving money.

Back
Top Bottom