Why is it so hard to find people that know what they are doing

We're buying a new home. The guy building them has a great reputation, and builds a class house. He's doing a 19 house development. The first three are finished - two sold before they were done, and the third sold in one or two days. The next two, ours and the mirror of it across the street, are sold. They just finished sheetrocking ours. He figures they'll be done first or middle of March. We were there the day the foundation was poured. He started two others now - foundations are poured and they're framed. I think they're both sold already.

There are other new homes being built across town that won't hold a candle to these. We were lucky to stumble across them when we did. The quality of workmanship he puts in these if how it should be.
Any floor plans you can show off?

I think we live in a time where gubernatorial corporate interests should be boycotted, that people should check the source to see where the product comes from and if the product doesn’t support Americans, then Americans shouldn’t purchase the product. Plus, it’s exactly what is done in China.... between gubernatorial corporations and those that feel entitled to do as little as possible, the future is even more bleak than the present. The influence of money through greed and globalism will cause the world we live in now to disappear. When a people don’t understand that over population is a problem, you know that brainwashing of a population has happened.

Damage done....

The fallout won’t be pretty....

I think we live in a time where gubernatorial corporate interests should be boycotted, that people should check the source to see where the product comes from and if the product doesn’t support Americans, then Americans shouldn’t purchase the product. Plus, it’s exactly what is done in China.... between gubernatorial corporations and those that feel entitled to do as little as possible, the future is even more bleak than the present. The influence of money through greed and globalism will cause the world we live in now to disappear. When a people don’t understand that over population is a problem, you know that brainwashing of a population has happened.

Damage done....

The fallout won’t be pretty....
Hallelujah brother! :)

A business that is really good does'nt need much (if any) advertisement,as word gets around quick & they soon have more work than they can handle.
And that typically brings with it an untold plethora of headaches. Hence the phrase "a victim of their own success".

:thumbsup:

Someone I know bought a place a few years ago based on site plans only - the homes were still to be built. When it happened, different contractors built the driveways, and the car garages. Evidently they got different drawings, or someone misread the numbers, but they laid the driveway one half a road-width to the left, so it led up to half a garage door plus half a garage wall! And they actually put the concrete down like that!

JB Weld is your friend. In 1998, My wife and I, on our honeymoon, did a 3500 mile drive around the western US in a Plymouth reliant. Near the town of Moab on a small mountain, I blew out the radiator on the up side. I had a couple of gallon jugs in the car (I have no idea why) and stopped at a stream and filled them up and kept filling the radiator until we got to moab. Once in the parking lot of an auto parts store (that closed in 15 minutes), I saw that the seam between the cooling part and the large end pice (the radiators are tilted 90 degrees from what you normally would see) hat split and, at the top it was at least a 1/4 inch gap. got me some JB Weld. We then went to the grocery store and got a six pack of coke in cans and a pair of scissors. We dumped the coke (we don't drink soda) and used the scissors to cut them into rectangular aluminum sheets. I bent them into an L shape, slathered on a thick coating of JB weld and pressed them into place.

We only let it set for two hours because we had to get to the California coast. To be safe, we had the jugs of water and another package of JB weld and the cans.

Well, we made it to Mt Shasta before it started to show signs of leakage. The JB Weld had not been given the opportunity to fully set, so I was still pleased with that. It had become like chunks of rubber. I pulled it all off, did it again, and this time it sat overnight. We finished the trip, returned home to seattle, and replaced the radiator, though it never leaked.

And now, I hit a bunny with my FR-s Yesterday at 75mph. I assumed he went under my bumper, but he hit the bottom and created a foot long crack. However, the crack is very close to the bottom and when you press it together you don't even notice it. It makes an almost invisible seam. No prob. Today I'm taking the front off. I'll clean the back really good, shape the aluminum to fit the back of the plastic bumper, slather on the JB weld and aluminum can, and it should be as good as new. I'll do a second layer of aluminum the same way since the aluminum could eventually fatique. I don't know what structural stresses it could be subject to down there.

People used to do almost everything themselves. When a wagon wheel broke, you could make your own spokes and even rim. I would not try to fix a broken CPU, though.

That is true, people use to do most everything for themselves, being taught to do things by most parents or the uncle that can do things isn’t happening anymore. Gone is the time when most boys rebuilt a car because a father knew it was an important part of personal development for their sons. There was a time when a man would not buy a car that he or someone in his family couldn’t fix. The smart people today are going to YouTube and finding how to do things for themselves. But it’s the example that is not being set for younger people to see, money is thrown at a situation to make it go away so more time can be used having fun. So without hands on experiences bonding with others cognitive development that promotes social skills and development doesn’t happen. What does happen is irresponsiblility which is the act of not being able to respond and interact properly in a constructive manner. To the point where normality is not recognized by the majority. Like dad or mom teaching how to patch the inner tube of their child’s bike is normal, thinking they don’t have time to do that is not normal. Just thinking that having enough money to pay for everything and not being involved within the process creates a perverted new normalcy for children and a dependence on parents by the children and you have adult children still living at home with the parents because the children can’t constructively interact with the world around them by analyzing themselves and the world around them.

That is true, people use to do most everything for themselves, being taught to do things by most parents or the uncle that can do things isn’t happening anymore. Gone is the time when most boys rebuilt a car because a father knew it was an important part of personal development for their sons. There was a time when a man would not buy a car that he or someone in his family couldn’t fix. The smart people today are going to YouTube and finding how to do things for themselves. But it’s the example that is not being set for younger people to see, money is thrown at a situation to make it go away so more time can be used having fun. So without hands on experiences bonding with others cognitive development that promotes social skills and development doesn’t happen. What does happen is irresponsiblility which is the act of not being able to respond and interact properly in a constructive manner. To the point where normality is not recognized by the majority. Like dad or mom teaching how to patch the inner tube of their child’s bike is normal, thinking they don’t have time to do that is not normal. Just thinking that having enough money to pay for everything and not being involved within the process creates a perverted new normalcy for children and a dependence on parents by the children and you have adult children still living at home with the parents because the children can’t constructively interact with the world around them by analyzing themselves and the world around them.
Back in 1970 I rebuilt the 3 speed transmission in my 1963 Rambler. This was before youtube, using a Chilton's manual. I was in 9th grade. Yes, my dad helped me. The world changes as much in two years as it used to change in five generations. People just learn different skills nowadays, or none at all. 'Course, I'm in Computers, so I learned the physical and the virtual.

My first car, a 64 Plymouth Sport Fury was given to me at age 15 with a side swiped door and quarter panel.. After scouring the junk yards I found the parts, took auto body in HS and learned how to replace the smashed parts and got a new paint job there too. My older brother wrecked my moms big Fury station wagon so I snagged the 383 out of it, put a 4 barrel on it and put it in my Sport Fury. Then sawed off the mufflers and put on glass packs and I was all set, for almost no money!

Thing is what's forgotten today is that cars made in the past 15 years are often a real bugger to work on the way we did a generation back. But I still see kids working on cars today, at least the ones whose parents haven't already ruined them with money for nothing and credit cards..

Apprenticeship... training assistant... "helper", terms now rarely used but were quite common back in the day where any job had a SENIOR person quite proven and skilled, mentoring others in the same occupation/work effort.

This is NOT how things get done today! :eek:

Apprenticeship... training assistant... "helper", terms now rarely used but were quite common back in the day where any job had a SENIOR person quite proven and skilled, mentoring others in the same occupation/work effort.

This is NOT how things get done today! :eek:
When I got in the trades as an apprentice electrician, the union contract stated 3 journeyman to one apprentice ratio. When I retired it was one to one under pressure from non unions contractors some of which had all apprentices except 1 journeyman. If people who sign up for apprenticeships really look at that, there isn't a lot of incentive to make it a career when there is no room for advancement.

Sadly, i've come to a point where I don't trust many people. From life's experiences, If I don't do it myself, it's not going to be done right. Common sense, isn't. If someone can take advantage of you, they will. I ask lots of questions, as I want a good idea of what people want and expect from me, I usually end up just turning around and leaving as they want me to use what they have lying around for 29 years and make it into a dream (like that's realistic). I do agree with all of you here in AK, you all have valid points.

You will probably all be surprised to learn how weird it can be in California. When I was in high school around 1968, my dad designed our new home, hired a custom contractor and he finished the house from grading the lot to move in date in just 3 months. No nail guns, no high-speed tools, just good craftsmanship. Now, it takes a year or more to build a house.

Cut to today: We are looking at a total kitchen remodel and everyone says it will cost $100K (seriously!). Our friends in Phoenix recently did a larger kitchen remodel from floor to ceiling for $35K. Why so much less? No one can explain it.

Sigh.

Back
Top Bottom