Ordered 1.7i Maggie's today. (Edit) Would like sub ideas please.

I see you’ve ramped on awareness of Grant Mye’s wonderful addition. And you’ve got the tweeters in check.

Suggestions for experimentation: Move the extra speakers(?) from between the Maggies. Pull them further out into the room. You can actually benefit by moving some stuff - maybe even the equipment rack - to the recessed section on the front wall. Create diffusion and even more room for them to breathe. My room has a similar, if not narrower nook where my gear resides.

15480231850191267918139233002559.jpg
I see you’ve ramped on awareness of Grant Mye’s wonderful addition. And you’ve got the tweeters in check.

Suggestions for experimentation: Move the extra speakers(?) from between the Maggies. Pull them further out into the room. You can actually benefit by moving some stuff - maybe even the equipment rack - to the recessed section on the front wall. Create diffusion and even more room for them to breathe. My room has a similar, if not narrower nook where my gear resides.
154802187096072385575803419322.jpg
The extra speakers are part of separate system in same rack. I moved them back. But still in way of reflected waves. Try there for now. Moved Maggies out to 4'+ from bumpouts. Now about 6' speaker spread. I'm 11' from them. That's about Maggie manual starting setup ratio. Give this a try for a while.
That recess is access to utilities door on right and stairs on left. Not an option for rack location.
Thanks for suggestions. And the MUG link. Will check out.

Last edited:
15480246201528073610226868510731.jpg
Moved second set spare speakers farther away. Improved Maggies, clearing out area around them for reflections off back wall?

Last edited:
That recess is access to utilities door on right and stairs on left. Not an option for rack location.
Thanks for suggestions. And the MUG link. Will check out.
Oops! I see now.

That should work nicely. I've found that Harry Pearson's "Rule of Thirds" works great. A third of the room length out as well as horizontally split.

Oops! I see now.

That should work nicely. I've found that Harry Pearson's "Rule of Thirds" works great. A third of the room length out as well as horizontally split.
Clearing out around them, made remarkable differance. I'm getting close to the thirds dimensions.

Remarkable speakers for jazz.

Last edited:
Try doing the thirds dimensions in a 13x14 room, you end up being near field listening.
Yes. I've heard both 20.1s and 3.7s sound wonderful in HP's 12x16 room #2. :)

20.1.jpg

Congrats on some great speakers. I use a JL Audio sub with my Harbeths. They are a very musical and tight sub....I think they could stay up with the Maggies.

1.7's here with dual DIY 12" TL subs. The sub design is from the Nelson Pass DIY site.

If you find that you want them as your "forever" speakers consider the Mye stands. A buddie has 3.6's with Mye stands and they make an audible difference. I haven't gone that far yet but I have added spikes to the original stands.

Last edited:
Finally got my 3.7's hooked up tonight and am not happy at all. My ears must be going to crap daily. They wouldn't produce the 27hz note in one of my favorite demo songs at anything more than 20db's. I'm going to swap out ht processors this weekend to see if that's the problem source, but I will definitely have to get a sub in the room.

Last edited:
Finally got my 3.7's hooked up tonight and am not happy at all. My ears must me going to crap daily. They wouldn't produce the 27hz note in one of my favorite demo songs at anything more than 20db's. I'm going to swap out ht processors this weekend to see if that's the problem source, but I will definitely have to get a sub in the room.

You are aware that the 3.7i is rated from 35 hz - 40 khz, right?
You will definitely want a sub (or two) if you're a bass head. Maggies don't do 'powerful' bass, although they are incredibly accurate on the bass they do reproduce.

I'm most likely to end up with a 24 inch driver from Stereo Integrity. Com as there is no substitute for displacement and I am real familiar with the high fidelity of one of the world's best Sound Quality drivers. Incredible output and tight, accurate, chest slamming percussive bass.

I'm not sure if a sub is in my budget for short term. If I do, I'm leaning toward a smaller driver sub. Maybe 8" with a passive, like a REL T7i or 10" driver T9i. To better match the speed of my 1.7i. I do have a heavy Fosgate Accoustics 10" ported. But I suspect it was made for HT use, and would be too slow for Maggies. But will trial it.

I am considering Mye stands and/or economy room treatments to the front wall, also. I'm starting to believe Maggies can benefit from room treatments, since they thrive on front wall reflected sound, IMO.

Magnepans do vocals and pianos well. Good recordings do well. Not so tolerant of poorer recordings.

Last edited:
I have a definitive supercube 3, which uses two active 5.5" subwoofers, and a 5.5" Passive, and it mates very well with my infinity renassaince 90, so likely would match well my maggies, although I"ve not used it with them, so likely the golden ears will do well, they've got a good reputation, and IIRC the company is founded by the founder of definitive. However, I've not heard them.

(edit to add) I typed all this before reading glens (GD70) post, that's funny right there!
How did you get your deftech Supercube III to WORK???
BTW Supercube III is a ( single ) 7inch dual voice coil active driver accompanied by two 7inch passive radiators. But there's hundreds of Supercube series II AND III Owners who have been let down by Definitive Technology due to the UNIVERSALLY FAULTY DESIGN OF THE PREAMP MODULE in these product ranges. It would be soooooo simple to get China to make some that work for more than 6-7 months & let us know on here they're avail. That would be really great PR. THEY at DefTech could STILL have afforded their recent jaunt down to New Orleans, while us mere workers use our AUD$1600.00 Supercube III'S as beautifully constructed doorstops.

15603894989258098422576022569906.jpg
I'd forgot about this thread I started.
I've been enjoying these Maggie's. Setup about 4.5 feet out from front wall. Have not bought new sub(s) for them. Generally listen to jazz at about 50 dba. I use the supplied 1 ohm resistors, in place of jumpers, to attenuate the tweeters. It's a bright room and my ears, tinnitus bauk at too much treble.
Added a little diffusion behind them and body pillows on side and back walls, to soften room.
I really enjoy them.

Last edited:
View attachment 1534773
I'd forgot about this thread I started.
I've been enjoying these Maggie's. Setup about 4.5 feet out from front wall. Have not bought new sub(s) for them. Generally listen to jazz at about 50 dba. I use the supplied 1 ohm resistors, in place of jumpers, to attenuate the tweeters. It's a bright room and my ears, tinnitus bauk at too much treble.
Added a little diffusion behind them and body pillows on side and back walls, to soften room.
I really enjoy them.
Looks nice and comfy there, a great place to hang, sip some bourbon and listen to tunes for a couple hours!

Update:
Switched amps to Rogue Cronus Magnum tube @ 100 wpc. It's an 20 minute changeover to change amp from 8 to 4 ohm load. Removing cover and changing wires to binding posts. So first time I've tried this combination.

Cronus Magnum is a step up from the Sphinx, to my ears, matched with the 1.7is. Its 100 wpc drives the speakers to 50+ dbs at 10 o'clock position. I think it has enough power for my needs. The treble is more velvety.

Back
Top Bottom