Khozmo Stepped Attenuators?

I like the idea of getting away from traditional pots with wipers.
The two main alternatives that interest me are the step attenuators with the precision resistors and the relay boards that basically look like they accomplish the same thing with precision resistors. Instead of a rotary switch with contacts the switching is made by miniature relays controlled through a logic switching IC.
I see that Khozmo now builds both types.
I'd like to know the advantage/disadvantage of both types. Does anyone have some insight to this question?

BillWojo

We need a comprehensive thread on high end attenuation. I am also considering a volume control in this price range, and id love to know more about what is available and what the differences are.
Yes, the Khozmo is the only decent motorised attenuation I'm aware of. If there's another by Goldpoint, EIZZ or frankly anyone else I'd love to know about it. I really liked the ladder based attenuation in my Schiit Saga before I went to the LTA MZ2.

Ok, the 64 step attenuator has been ordered ad paid for. I expect it will be very similar sounding to that in my old Schiit Saga as it utilized the same Vishay SMD resistors. Looking forward to this :)

I recently had a bad experience with Khozmo. The guy doesn't seem to know what he has and doesn't have. After ten days of back and forth discussion and forgetting to ship what he doesn't actually have, I was able to get a refund. I do not recommend buying from him unless you like waiting indefinitely.

I recently had a bad experience with Khozmo. The guy doesn't seem to know what he has and doesn't have. After ten days of back and forth discussion and forgetting to ship what he doesn't actually have, I was able to get a refund. I do not recommend buying from him unless you like waiting indefinitely.

The 48-step I started this thread about ended up in the same thing you're using as an avatar.

I tried contacting that guy with some questions just pre-covid and had a very similar experience. In addition, he was being a dick. Too bad, nice product, being sold by an imbecile. I was trying to source 24 units; I guess he doesn't need the business...:dunno:

I've been using PEC volume controls for years, but finally decided to try something better. So back in June I purchased a pair of Goldpoint 100k volume controls: Goldpoint Mono V24 Stepped Attenuator, 100K, P/N V24-1-100K at $87 for each. I really like the stepped function since it is easy to ensure both channels are equal volume without a balance control. Now that I have listened to them for a considerable time, it is easy for me to say that I am astonished by their clarity each time I listen. I paid $232 for the two attenuators with two very nice aluminum knobs and it was money well spent.

I have found about all there is to be found about these on the intergooglewebnet,and it doesn't amount to much.
Anybody know much about them or ever used them? I am considering trying the series MKII 48 step model for a project.
Partsconnexion carries them,but they can't seem to be bothered to reply to my two emails.

s-l225.jpg
I put one in a bottle head project. Worked nice for a short while. It snaps when I increase or decrease the volume. I have had great luck with the goldpoint volume controls.

Back
Top Bottom