Today's JAZZ playlist

@BillyBatts My computer only works when it's plugged in, and I just unplugged it by accident. Turned it back on, and you're hearing it too - some Luis Russell.

Charlie Johnson and His Paradise Ten he's talking about now.

Jimmy Harrison and Coleman Hawkins were TIGHT, btw.

Did he say anybody else before the Luis Russell?

There may be more coming.

Fletcher Henderson, Duke Ellington...

The Good News? I have it recorded Gannon. I hit Record on the digital recorder about 10 minutes ago, so I have his full list of what he played on the recorder. I will play it back later and list ALL of the cuts he played, no worries. But then, I would bet we can pull up the playlist anyway via the website in a few days. It looks like they are two days or so behind on playlists.

Ah, he just said he is indeed the "Out to Lunch" show. Man, I hope he continues this trend. What a great show.

The Good News? I have it recorded Gannon. I hit Record on the digital recorder about 10 minutes ago, so I have his full list of what he played on the recorder. I will play it back later and list ALL of the cuts he played, no worries. But then, I would bet we can pull up the playlist anyway via the website in a few days. It looks like they are two days or so behind on playlists.

Ah, he just said he is indeed the "Out to Lunch" show. Man, I hope he continues this trend. What a great show.

Great!! Let me know when you get a chance to hear it later.

And yeah "Out To Lunch" is one of their regular shows!

@WKCR is blowing my mind with amazing early recorded Jazz. I'm in awe.

Does that price sticker say Fifty Cents? If so, you literally DID steal it.
It does indeed say 50 cents:). Can't find any info on who plays with him on this. Very nice guitar!
In the very top right corner is a ink stamp marked $1.49. Below that a orange sticker(torn) says $1.95. Then Rasputin's Closeout sticker>$.50:cool:
Side 2 now;)

It does indeed say 50 cents:). Can't find any info on who plays with him on this. Very nice guitar!
In the very top right corner is a ink stamp marked $1.49. Below that a orange sticker(torn) says $1.95. Then Rasputin's Closeout sticker>$.50:cool:
Side 2 now;)

Well boy howdy. Talk about the deal of the century on Vinyl. Under a buck for a Jazz LP? Congrats!

@jgannon I just wrote WKCR and complemented them on this "Out to Lunch" show. I also urged them to do a weekly show for Early Recorded American Jazz. I'd love a daily show, but that's too much to ask.

I emailed the Program Directors and the Director of Jazz Programming. I mentioned that since Hazen Shumacher's "Jazz Revisited" from the University of Michigan left the air 10 years ago, there is a big gap in the terrestrial broadcasting of early recorded American Jazz, especially the recordings of the late 20s through the 30s.

It's a shot in the dark, but I had to write them.

OK @jgannon et al;

Here is the partial list of what Mathew Rivera Played during "Out to Lunch" @WKCR
Spelling not checked, just jotted this down as quickly as he mentioned it. I did my best decoding the announcing. He was kind of all over the place. This is what he announced during my recording period;

The Bugel Call Rag - 1933 benny carter coleman hawkins
Florida Stomp - Roy Edgridge and his orchestra
I found a new baby - 1926 Fletcher Henderson and his Orchestra featuring Big Charlie Green and Coleman Hawkins
After All you are All I'm After - The McKinny's Band (McKinny's Cotton Club Pickers?) with George Bias

A set of recordings by Luis Russel and his Orchestra paul barbin pops foster red allen JC Higgenbothem teddy holmes charley hill
4 recordings played - Ease on down (1932), Poor Lil' Me, New Call Of The Freaks, Jersey Lightning.

The Boy and the boat - 1928 - Charlie Johnson and his paradise 10 with Jimmy Harrison on Trombone, Ecker Sampson, Benny Waters, Ben Whitted, Sidney DeParis Leonard Davis
Walk That Thing (flip side of the record above)

Sugar - 1931 - Fletcher Henderson and his Orchestra with Tommy Ladner, Joe Smith Russel Smith, Charley Green, Buster Bailey, Coleman Hawkins, Kaiser Marshall

Cotton Club Stomp - 1928 Duke Ellington with Cootie Williams, Sam Nanton, Johnny Hodges, Barney Begar, Freddy Guy

Variety Stomp and St Louis Shuffel - Fletcher Henderson

Perfect - Eddie Lang

Lester Leaps In - Lester Young - Count Basie Kansas City Seven

He mentions at the last hour set Charlie Parker, Cab Calloway and others but did not get into details. I think he ran out of time. Perhaps they will all be on the Website in a few days in the Playlist for "Out to Lunch"

Last edited:
@jgannon I just wrote WKCR and complemented them on this "Out to Lunch" show. I also urged them to do a weekly show for Early Recorded American Jazz. I'd love a daily show, but that's too much to ask.

I emailed the Program Directors and the Director of Jazz Programming. I mentioned that since Hazen Shumacher's "Jazz Revisited" from the University of Michigan left the air 10 years ago, there is a big gap in the terrestrial broadcasting of early recorded American Jazz, especially the recordings of the late 20s through the 30s.

It's a shot in the dark, but I had to write them.

Hey Billy -

Had to step away for a little while over here. That's great that you did that! KCR will occasionally have this kind of thing. It would be great if they had a regular show though.

Nice idea!

OK @jgannon et al;

Here is the partial list of what Mathew Rivera Played during "Out to Lunch" @WKCR
Spelling not checked, just jotted this down as quickly as he mentioned it. I did my best decoding the announcing. He was kind of all over the place. This is what he announced during my recording period;

The Bugel Call Rag - 1933 benny carter coleman hawkins
Florida Stomp - Roy Edgridge and his orchestra
I found a new baby - 1926 Fletcher Henderson and his Orchestra featuring Big Charlie Green and Coleman Hawkins
After All you are All I'm After - The McKenny's Band with George Bias

A set of recordings by Luis Russel and his Orchestra paul barbin pops foster red allen JC Higgenbothem teddy holmes charley hill
4 recordings played - Ease on down (1932), Poor Lil' Me, New Call Of The Freaks, Jersey Lightning.

The Boy and the boat - 1928 - Charlie Johnson and his paradise 10 with Jimmy Harrison on Trombone, Ecker Sampson, Benny Waters, Ben Whitted, Sidney DeParis Leonard Davis
Walk That Thing (flip side of the record above)

Sugar - 1931 - Fletcher Henderson and his Orchestra with Tommy Ladner, Joe Smith Russel Smith, Charley Green, Buster Bailey, Coleman Hawkins, Kaiser Marshall

Cotton Club Stomp - 1928 Duke Ellington with Cootie Williams, Sam Nanton, Johnny Hodges, Barney Begar, Freddy Guy

Variety Stomp and St Louis Shuffel - Fletcher Henderson

Perfect - Eddie Lang

Lester Leaps In - Lester Young - Count Basie Kansas City Seven

He mentions at the last hour set Charlie Parker, Cab Calloway and others but did not get into details. I think he ran out of time. Perhaps they will all be on the Website in a few days in the Playlist for "Out to Lunch"

NICE! THANK YOU!!

Back
Top Bottom