Gear that does not get used much

z-adamson

Addicted Member
Do you just let it sit?

Do you idle it periodically?

Let's face it....most of us build up a collection of gear and don't always use it all. So the good gear that is out of rotation does not get the attention it deserves.

I am in the habit of turning on the unused gear and letting it idle for a few hours every few weeks. I feel like charging the caps periodically and warming it up is a good thing if it does not get used. Plus I turn the pots from end to end a few times.

What do you think about this? Sitting for months on end can't be good.

I pull them out on occasion to stretch them out. Some go back on the shelves, and some are sold. I used to have a lot more gear than I have now.

Seeing it sitting there unused is a pretty sight, but in a way, kinda wrong. For me anyway.

Rob

Problem for me is that as an obsessive enthusiast I’ve picked up some very cool and unique things that I couldn’t say no to (usually because of the price) but have little intention of using.
Some of these things have little real dollar value.
Maybe time to set up some peculiar garage systems.

I was ( still ) In the same mental quandrum. Recently I’ve sold a few items and used the funds to refurbish my top tier favorites ( Kenwood KA:9100,7300, 600 Supreme) Pioneer: SA 9800/ 900/ SX 850. Yamaha CR 2020/1020. Sansui AU 717. All completely rebuilt from early 2018 too 2019. The reason I say still is because there’s plenty of gear left in my stash. As a collector I’m good with that.
Most collectors ( Of different kinds) Have also amassed item that sit, Ownership must be accounted for as part of our passion for this hobby, So we have items that don’t get used much but it’s there to admire and use on occasion because it’s ours.

Attachments

• AA7E37E6-F2E1-46BC-A95E-B1E920A6C77F.jpeg
    AA7E37E6-F2E1-46BC-A95E-B1E920A6C77F.jpeg
    53.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 895F8F1F-5A34-4FDF-B8DD-270C996A2917.jpeg
    895F8F1F-5A34-4FDF-B8DD-270C996A2917.jpeg
    46.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 51B385B2-2E50-4F3A-8318-DA2831F9C7F8.jpeg
    51B385B2-2E50-4F3A-8318-DA2831F9C7F8.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 46691B37-D8C2-46B2-988F-D91553F7164C.jpeg
    46691B37-D8C2-46B2-988F-D91553F7164C.jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 45
I was ( still ) In the same mental quandrum. Recently I’ve sold a few items and used the funds to refurbish my top tier favorites ( Kenwood KA:9100,7300, 600 Supreme) Pioneer: SA 9800/ 900/ SX 850. Yamaha CR 2020/1020. Sansui AU 717. All completely rebuilt from early 2018 too 2019.
have you discussed the sonic differences in these brands of gear? It would be interesting to see what you think about them.

Back on topic:
I have gear that doesn't get used often and when I put a chunk back in service I like to do so carefully for units that haven't had power coursing through them in a while. But no special goal of plugging everything in every 6 months.

I've accumulated "spares" in a rack or two and connected them all via daisy-chain through the unswitched receptacles on the rear. I'll power up all of them for several hours every couple of months just to keep them warm, dry, and the electrolytics as fresh as possible. They don't have any loads or speakers connected, but at least they see power.

EquipmentSparesRack01.jpg

I try to rotate the others in my work area so that each of them gets some use. I've noticed that as they sit, the controls tend to get noisy again, and they need more use than they get.

z-a: I'd deem your pratice a pretty good one - already for avoiding elcap degradation. Unfortunately I don't have the discipline to adopt a similar practice. In fact I already have enough difficulties to take reasonably good care of all the stuff with batteries/rechargeables.So I have to admire those, who have quite a lot of equipment and nevertheless enough energy to take good care of all of their stuff...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

I was ( still ) In the same mental quandrum. Recently I’ve sold a few items and used the funds to refurbish my top tier favorites ( Kenwood KA:9100,7300, 600 Supreme) Pioneer: SA 9800/ 900/ SX 850. Yamaha CR 2020/1020. Sansui AU 717. All completely rebuilt from early 2018 too 2019. The reason I say still is because there’s plenty of gear left in my stash. As a collector I’m good with that.
Most collectors ( Of different kinds) Have also amassed item that sit, Ownership must be accounted for as part of our passion for this hobby, So we have items that don’t get used much but it’s there to admire and use on occasion because it’s ours.
What do you do with the gear in your stash to keep it from going bad from just sitting?

I've accumulated "spares" in a rack or two and connected them all via daisy-chain through the unswitched receptacles on the rear. I'll power up all of them for several hours every couple of months just to keep them warm, dry, and the electrolytics as fresh as possible. They don't have any loads or speakers connected, but at least they see power.

I try to rotate the others in my work area so that each of them gets some use. I've noticed that as they sit, the controls tend to get noisy again, and they need more use than they get.

Thats basically what I do.

Back on topic:
I have gear that doesn't get used often and when I put a chunk back in service I like to do so carefully for units that haven't had power coursing through them in a while. But no special goal of plugging everything in every 6 months.

Why not have a plug-in routine to warm the gear up every so often? Monthly, bi monthly, every six months or whatever works?

Interesting post. i have been working/cleaning this ACR built receiver off and on for a couple weeks. Yesterday I placed the dual cassette player on recycle and let it play for a few hours and went upstairs. Upon returning the sound had remarkably improved. Improved in fact so much I played CD's on it all night. It went from a sort of yuk across the spectrum to respectable sounding. Clear and sharp with good deep bass when the source gave it up. I would guess what you are doing is a positive thing.

Everything I have gets used but not all the knobs get enough turning. It's a lot of knobs to keep exercised.

I pulled my Technics out storage - been there for close to a year it seems. Now VPI is in storage. I'll rotate again in a few months.

I'm now using a dust cover for the first time in many years - very pleasing!

5I29rCg.jpg

What do you do with the gear in your stash to keep it from going bad from just sitting?

I’m a proponent of what Watthour does. Put the most desirable components in a rack on a daisy-chain with at least one CD player, Cassette deck, Reel 2 Reel etc etc hooked up ( plug & play ) So to speak. Book shelf speakers or if you have space larger ones and let it rip for a few days. This way I can keep track of the items in my inventory “ Left out” of that rotation. I either sell them to pay for refurbished projects or keep in my audio collection.
Let’s be real, Some of our acquisitions are not well thought out . Those can be sent back too the thrift store or sold for a few bucks on CL.

Attachments

• 8B08E583-D70D-4688-8165-CDE3F31A27E3.jpeg
    8B08E583-D70D-4688-8165-CDE3F31A27E3.jpeg
    68.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 1B6EF47D-EA5D-4828-9327-D4BA2CA71F5B.jpeg
    1B6EF47D-EA5D-4828-9327-D4BA2CA71F5B.jpeg
    58.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 4FCDF934-824F-4A51-8E01-4068ED7BAE8C.jpeg
    4FCDF934-824F-4A51-8E01-4068ED7BAE8C.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 15
  • 5BF107FF-AF2B-4E38-8059-E7700F5E5B7E.jpeg
    5BF107FF-AF2B-4E38-8059-E7700F5E5B7E.jpeg
    43.6 KB · Views: 16
As someone at a major crossroads, this thread speaks to me. I need to liquidate about 90%, and make room for my vast record/cd collection, which is growing all the time.

Right now, I'm taking out one receiver every 2 months or so, and basically leaving it on the whole time.

I'm no tech, but it seems to work WONDERS.

I still ought to let some of these have a new home, where they'll be enjoyed.

have you discussed the sonic differences in these brands of gear? It would be interesting to see what you think about them.

Back on topic:

The sonic difference is like most AK members describe in a given forum. Each brand has its own signature sound. The Realistic STA 2200 MOS FET power Receiver is a sleeping giant ! : Kenwood KA 9100/ Supreme 600 two remarkable pieces of audio greatness. The Yamaha lineup outstanding as well.
I’ve had the Pioneer SA 9800 the longest and heard it before the restoration ( Unlike the ones mentioned). Let me say the difference is night and day. Now when I read the reviews when it first came on the market, I can finally hear what the fuss was all about. Simply put its one hell of a integrated Amp with no distortion and the overall soundstage is incredible.
Sansui AU 717: Damn !!! Damn Damn ! The little amount of time I’ve spent with it ( three days) I can hear why Sansui fans rave about it. On a side note: I owned two Yamaha CR 2020’s so I traded one too my restoration guy for the Sansui. He did the complete Leestereo’s job on it step by step. Great work. The other CR 2020 is getting a restoration now, Can’t wait to hear it

The only pieces I don't listen to periodically are in various stages of disrepair (I would say repair, but I'm not that good.)
:oops:

Is that 3 750s and 4 780s?
This thread topic is one I've dwelled on for years. I need ambition to rotate. One 1010 sat for nearly a year and a half.

Rob' s take above matches mine. Only difference is mine don't usually leave.

Back
Top Bottom