Poor mans audiophile journey.

Shortage of cash can be a real benefit in some ways.

Yes. It's also a shortcut that bypasses a lot of learning along the way and the appreciation that comes along with effort, or discovery of creative solutions that you had no idea were possible.

I'm now, thankfully, comfortable enough in life where money isn't the constraint it once was. 25 years ago I'd have taught myself how to refoam woofers. Now I'd rather pay someone $40-50 to do it better and faster than I can learn to do it myself.

The article is the only one that I could find relating to the issue. It may have been somewhat political and controversial but It brought awareness to an issue that I and many encounter on a daily basis. I will leave "stereotypes" alone in an effort to keep this thread civil.

My most memorable audiophile experience is when a wealthy young man (who happened to be white) said to me,
:wtf:

I'm actually disgusted at the speech laced in the OP and the article.
I can clearly see, just reading your speech laced all over these pages your view of the world. This kind of speech disgust me and not why I come to this site and it never needed to be inserted. If you don't get it, it just shows how brainwashed you are and caught up in it. Pull the audio reference out of the OP and it turns to all political speech.

You could have shared your system with us, we would have said we love it. Instead we get poor man's , and the rest of your OP, and what your complaining about is a first world issue. We have people on this site from around the world and from every walk of life, age and gender.
I suggest this reading, paying attention to 5 & 6
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/audiokarma-rules.301366/

And this
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/do-you-think-ak-is-about-vintage-or-cheap.161400/

BTW, you do know we can read comments on your profile page?

That's MHO

Last edited:
Bashing the big spenders is something of a sport here at AK :beerchug:

Do not agree. Have you looked through the vast number of posts debating hi-end (meaning mostly expensive) gear? If they can afford it, good luck to them. Why buy a Ford when you can afford a Mercedes?

However, money does not always buy satisfaction, so if you are happy with what you have at a bargain price, I see no merit in spending money just to impress others

I’m basically stating that we should mentor and be understanding towards the less fortunate in this hobby.

Less fortunate? That's a judgment I do not have for anyone in this hobby. People don't -not- enjoy music because because there's barriers to entry or they can't obtain the gear they really really want. And to think your experience enjoying such is better than someone else's is quite revealing.

Last night was music night. Christine and I listened for hours and were fully immersed in the joy of music. The system sounds great, but that wasn't what this session was about. We weren't listening critically, tethered to a sweet spot, nor were we assessing sound quality. She danced with Jumper, and I was the DJ, picking out songs and often singing along with gusto. Country, jazz, rock, vocal stylists, classical, film orchestration, bluegrass, and other genres were all represented.

We laughed. We sang. We danced. The boob tube off, the music filling our home. Celebrating being alive, and in good enough health to enjoy the evening of song. Not obsessing over the quality of the recordings, or of the formats, either. Just doing with the gear what the gear is made to do. We had fun!

That is how this works best, imo. May your joy of music be full.

Last edited:
I had to go back to reread the OP to try and understand why this thread has generated so much heat. I still don't get the reactions.The guy just is celebrating his good deals and hopes that everyone, regardless of income, race, colour and creed can enjoy good music. Seems like an uncontentious thing to state and pretty timely to do on MLK Day. As far as celebrating his good deals, it happens several times a day on the Dollars and Sense forum without anyone clutching their pearls in horror.

Last edited:
So what was necessary to repair the oppo?
All that was needed To repair the Oppo was a little alcohol and q-tips to gently clean both optical lenses and a very small amount of white lithium grease on the two laser transport rails. The Oppo BDP-83 now Plays everything from CDs to Blu-Ray without a hiccup. I have even figured out how to stream FLAC lossless music files from multiple PCs using a UpNP.

Last edited:
"High fidelity music should be accessible to all people regardless of sex, age, race, education, or social economic standing" is an emotional appeal which sounds pretty good until you realize this sort of utopian access will be at the expense of taxpayers. Now, thanks to capitalism, Hi-Fi is very inexpensive, afforded by most any from their cell phone wirelessly connected to something like an Airport Express wired to a pair of JBL 305 speakers.

Last edited:
"High fidelity music should be accessible to all people regardless of sex, age, race, education, or social economic standing" is an emotional appeal which sounds pretty good until you realize this sort of utopian access will be at the expense of taxpayers. Now, thanks to capitalism, Hi-Fi is very inexpensive, afforded by most any from their cell phone wirelessly connected to something like an Airport Express wired to a pair of JBL 305 speakers.
Seriously? You are equating this guy's innocuous musings with raising the red flag of communist revolution? If, while listening to a particularly nice bit of music on my best system I say "I wish everyone I know can experience this pleasure" am I attacking the very foundations of capitalism? Or could it be that some people here need to lighten up?

I guess I just don't get the point of this post? While I have never been what you might call "Wealthy", I have never been poor, either. And, while in the beginning, with kids and other responsibilities, I could not afford top shelf audio systems. Nor did I have the time to dedicate to listening to music like I wanted. But, I always have had at least one respectable, quality stereo. At this point in my life, I could easily afford to buy anything that I truly wanted. But, I am very happy with what I have now. I enjoy my vintage systems for what they are. I like the nostalgia and sound of owning the equipment that I lusted over when I was growing up. I have never worried about what anyone else thinks about me. I think that Hi-Fi music (along with everything else) is certainly accessible to everyone that wants to put forth the time and effort to earn it. Enjoy what you have and stop worrying about what others have. Just enjoy the music!

I had to go back to reread the OP to try and understand why this thread has generated so much heat. I still don't get the reactions.The guy just is celebrating his good deals and hopes that everyone, regardless of income, race, colour and creed can enjoy good music. Seems like an uncontentious thing to state and pretty timely to do on MLK Day. As far as celebrating his good deals, it happens several times a day on the Dollars and Sense forum without anyone clutching their pearls in horror.
It seem that you got the gist of what I was trying to convey.
Some read my post and link take it as a personal attack, which was not my intent. It was more of a plea for knowledge, wisdom and understanding. Like I said, “ I talk too much!” I’ll try to be less outspoken or political in future post.

Last edited:
It seem that you got the gist of what I was trying to convey.
Some read my post and link take it as a personal attack, which was not my intent. It was more of a plea for knowledge, wisdom and understanding. Like I said, “ I talk too much!” I’ll try to be less outspoken or political in future post.

Some people cant wait to be butt-hurt over something.

Hi fidelity music should be available to all that CARE to listen to music in hi fidelity.It can be done if you put your mind to it and willing to do the legwork.Not saying it is free but can be done for a few hundred bucks in a lot of cases.When I started here at AK I had very little disposable income but managed to start accumulating gear that was extremely pleasing to me for damn near nothing.I had to look for it though.

Last edited:
The most thrilling musical experiences (recorded, not live) I've ever had were mostly on gear we'd objectively consider total crap. The circumstances had a lot to do with it of course, adding emotional elements which had nothing to do with the gear. Recapturing that thrill has been the goal of my audio(phile) adventures, and of course it can't work.

As for live music, the event itself is as much part of the experience as the music. I heard/saw just about every now-legendary band/performer of the Sixties live, either at huge venues or small clubs — and classical music from symphonies to solo recitals with the greatest artists — and it's the experience I remember, the music is a long-faded memory. The anticipation of going, the thrill of being there, the communal energy of the other people, the joy of who I was with or who I might go home with after and possibly stay with forever. Even when those performances were recorded and I can replay them, the best part is missing; I might even realize the music itself wasn't all that good.

A friend had one of the greatest systems ever, cost the GNP of some small countries, and he ended up selling it all, and listening to a small all-in-one little rig from Denon, and enjoying it just as much.

I have a luxury car costing system now but it wasn't always this way. I used to rock out to an $80 Sherwood receiver that overheated and had the top off with a fan on it, a numark mixer for MP3's and a jack to play music off the phone, speakers (still have them) were a pair of Pioneer GS-203's I got for Christmas when I was 12 years old. It was a bunch of junk to some, but I had just as much fun exploring whats most important, the MUSIC!

The linked article is an uphill battle at best. Young people don't know what high end stereo is. They barely even know what good stereo is. They rarely hear it. They rarely see the gear that serves it up. If they do see good gear they probable think it something people have when they get old. And spending money on it just isn't part of their plan. Even $400 is a chunk of change for a 20 year old. And $400 can make some fine sound. One way or another.

Resolution was mentioned earlier. Without that you don't have much. Just saying.

The link I posted is the only one that I could find remotely relating to the issue I presented. It may have been somewhat political and controversial to some, but I feel it brought awareness to an issue that I and many others encounter on a daily basis. I will leave "stereotypes" alone in an effort to keep this thread civil and not make anymore enemies than what I already have.

To be clear, I wasn't attributing the comments in the link to you. You replied the above in response to my suggestion that the link wasn't perhaps well-chosen. You have commented that you learn from constructive criticism. My post was not about making enemies, it was about your new friends here. Having hung around here awhile, I'd have known such a link would trigger reactions, that's all.

Not your enemy. :beerchug:

Back
Top Bottom