Bryston Mini-T Speakers Now In Play

Thanks, Bret.

Finding a used pair in such excellent condition (easily 9.5/10) at just under half price, coupled with a great run of poker, allowed acquisition a month or two early - and without completely depleting the dispo-fund. I'd saved with the assumption that I'd have to purchase new, but the timing worked to my advantage. The only aspect that wasn't pure dumb luck was the saving.

I feel I need to write up a review of them, but not yet. Right now I'd just be a gushing fanboy, anyway. Besides, I am not particularly good at such reviews - I don't enjoy trying to listen wearing an analytical hat. I greatly prefer to just sit back and enjoy music rather than attempt to listen to, describe and judge a speaker's sound. To me, those require two almost completely different mindsets which may not be mutually exclusive, but can be difficult to correlate.

On another note, the Silver 6 sound better in the bedroom than they did in the living area, and they didn't suck in here. So upgrades all around.

And on yet another, in a few weeks (once Christine retires) I also plan to set up a mini-system in the guest bedroom once again, using components I already have that are currently out of play. A Pro-Ject Pre Box S, Tuner Box S, jacked-in Zune with two Emotiva A-100 amps driving Polk RTiA3 speakers in bi-amp mode - something I've never sampled. After that, I intend to resume my small-speaker battle-thread, which was interrupted for various reasons, on that system.

I have too much stuff.

Last edited:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IWFS0Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

51g6cmKE1HL._SL1000_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003P4VDGS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

31HYZuesUOL.jpg

Added a bit of height,
a good thing,
and enabled precise and quick
toe-in adjustment.
The Mini-Ts sit atop SVS subs on these.

What’s all of that give you in equivalent stand height?

16.25" IIRC, Bryston recommends 18-24" stands, which would put the tweeters well above ear height. I'm considering platforms under the subs that would add another 1.5-2". The height just added by the swivel stand and vibrapods did improve soundstage and imaging, as I'd hoped. Even though the tweeters were already at my seated ear height, the speakers sounded too low to the floor. Apparently, they sound best with the mid-driver nearer ear height.

Rather than purchasing something like Auralex Subdudes, which would be intrusive, extending beyond the subwoofer footprint, I'm simply figuring on having four pieces of MDF cut to fit, then paint them matte black and put rubber feet under them. Thus 3/4" MDF would add a bit more than 1.5".

"I feel I need to write up a review of them, but not yet. Right now I'd just be a gushing fanboy, anyway. Besides, I am not particularly good at such reviews - I don't enjoy trying to listen wearing an analytical hat. I greatly prefer to just sit back and enjoy music rather than attempt to listen to, describe and judge a speaker's sound. To me, those require two almost completely different mindsets which may not be mutually exclusive, but can be difficult to correlate."

Are you listening to them with or without the sub? Just wondered how they sounded on their own.

Hey musichal, would something like this help. They would look sharp with your SVS subs too.

https://www.svsound.com/products/soundpath-subwoofer-isolation-system

Cheers,

Scott

They are certainly worth considering - thanks for bringing them to my attention.

"I feel I need to write up a review of them, but not yet. Right now I'd just be a gushing fanboy, anyway. Besides, I am not particularly good at such reviews - I don't enjoy trying to listen wearing an analytical hat. I greatly prefer to just sit back and enjoy music rather than attempt to listen to, describe and judge a speaker's sound. To me, those require two almost completely different mindsets which may not be mutually exclusive, but can be difficult to correlate."

Are you listening to them with or without the sub? Just wondered how they sounded on their own.

With. Should have begun without, though. They can easily do without a sub. Had to turn the sub levels even further down than they already were - and lowered the sub filters, too.

I told myself I was just going to run them with subs for a few minutes, but am enjoying the combo so much...

They are certainly worth considering - thanks for bringing them to my attention.

With. Should have begun without, though. They can easily do without a sub. Had to turn the sub levels even further down than they already were - and lowered the sub filters, too.

I told myself I was just going to run them with subs for a few minutes, but am enjoying the combo so much...

You can always kick the subs out for a couple of days, just so you know what you’re dealing with.

I feel I need to write up a review of them, but not yet. Right now I'd just be a gushing fanboy, anyway. Besides, I am not particularly good at such reviews - I don't enjoy trying to listen wearing an analytical hat. I greatly prefer to just sit back and enjoy music rather than attempt to listen to, describe and judge a speaker's sound. To me, those require two almost completely different mindsets which may not be mutually exclusive, but can be difficult to correlate.
I'm with you here - I find 'critical listening' to be chore - I'd much rather just be surprised by hearing something new on a familiar record. That says 'genuine upgrade' to me.

Back
Top Bottom