Kef 107 question

vintage 5.0

vintage 5.0
Subscriber
I have a buddy that has a nice set of Kef 107 walnut in great shape. He has replaced the tweeter with a Morel silk dome, original mid and replaced woofers with some Scan speak. All are in the right specs he does nice work. I heard them and they look and sound great. Is 1700 too much for a set of these that has had replaced speakers in them. Was just curious what you know.

How about 1300 for them.

I think that's more like it, especially if you like their sound and ESPECIALLY if they include the KUBE. Not a deal-breaker if they don't...you can find one later...but it'll be around $250-300.

Things that might hurt the value of these KEFs are:

- IF no KUBE
- non-original drivers

They have the grilles, so that's a $300 value there.

It's sort of a "how much do you want them" at this point. You will likely be able to find a pair at $1300 or less WITH original drivers...BUT...how far away are they going to be? 14 hours, one way (like mine were)?!

I do think non-original drivers definitely hurts the resale value, but if you plan to keep them anyway, and it doesn't bother you, then who cares?

Sorry to chime in again, I know we discussed this via PM, just trying to keep this thread active :)

There are many here who love the 107's, I think for good reason. Sonically, they are definitely worth the $1300.

Did you find out if they have the KUBE and/or if the original drivers are still "available" from your friend, or did he throw them away?

What am I missing here? Replacement non-original tweeters,replacement non-original woofers. $1700 now $1300.
For a pair of once great now basterdized speakers?
As a long time KEF owner, who constantly watches the previously owned market, KEF 107s that are just about flawless would be a hard sell at these price levels. Especially with shipping. Especially without the KUBE.

Quote:
“I do think non-original drivers definitely hurts the resale value, but if you plan to keep them anyway, and it doesn't botheryou, then who cares?”

If the buyer wants to experience the correct KEF sound then he should care.

What am I missing here? Replacement non-original tweeters,replacement non-original woofers. $1700 now $1300.
For a pair of once great now basterdized speakers?
As a long time KEF owner, who constantly watches the previously owned market, KEF 107s that are just about flawless would be a hard sell at these price levels. Especially with shipping. Especially without the KUBE.

Quote:
“I do think non-original drivers definitely hurts the resale value, but if you plan to keep them anyway, and it doesn't botheryou, then who cares?”

If the buyer wants to experience the correct KEF sound then he should care.

Good points. If they are non-original drivers, they ain't really KEF 107's anymore. They "might" sound better...but they would definitely sound different. I'd be really curious to hear them, honestly. I don't think I would personally buy them, but I definitely DO care about resale value, and it would just bug me to have non-correct drivers.

It may not bother some though, as long as the sound is "good" to them. It would bother me though.

Back
Top Bottom