Solid copper vs stranded copper speaker wire?

Solid copper speaker wire did come into vogue during that early 90's period previously mentioned. That was also about when I first heard the term "skin effect" which as far as I'm concerned, was a phrase the audio accessory industry latched on to and capitalized on. But never going so far as to explain which high frequencies gravitated toward to a wire's outer surface.

But however much the perceived benefit was emphasized, it did not overcome the impracticality solid speaker wire imposed in a lot of applications. It was a blip on the radar of consumer home audio.

Last edited:
chose stranded after running each for a few months. and actually prefer the speaker providing the short signal to the other driver, opposed to the double cable biamping sound.

I use stranded 10g OFC with banana plugs in two of my systems, and Kimber Kable 8TCs with locking banana plugs in my main system. I don't know if any of it's better than any other cable, but it's what I prefer.

Stranded oxygen free copper. Extrusion process provides better conductivity and enhances the bass transmission. I used it all thru the house here, including some long runs to other rooms and am happy with the results.

PS ... the Belden "in wall" cable I used also has an extra foil shield and drain wire to minimize noise and RF interference.

Hey Dark blue the trip is over and so are the 60's you'll be alright.... Obviously what I was saying was yes try the 10/2 Romex, It works. (without getting in an audioKarma bull..... Pissing match.....)

Hey Dark blue the trip is over and so are the 60's you'll be alright.... Obviously what I was saying was yes try the 10/2 Romex, It works. (without getting in an audioKarma bull..... Pissing match.....)
Relax, it was a joke. :rolleyes:

For the record, I was born in the 60's. My time exploring the wonders of sex, drugs and rock and roll didn't get going until 1978. :smoke:

I’m with Mister Pig on the Wireworld Cables , they are excellent. I have the Eclipse 7 biwired they use Occ copper and silver bananas and are 10awg with this model and I do hear a big difference compared to other cables I have used .

99FE0E43-ED7E-4F7F-8AC2-D3D2A7A553FD.jpeg
D26728C8-8131-4B04-977C-3B4A332AFD39.jpeg
F6703E0E-7F96-4762-9ECA-5DFEC3089DF3.jpeg
Audiofreak71

Relax, it was a joke. :rolleyes:

For the record, I was born in the 60's. My time exploring the wonders of sex, drugs and rock and roll didn't get going until 1978. :smoke:

Born in the 50's, I got started a bit earlier lol.

I got the joke, I saw no harm in it. Nothing wrong with a bit of levity once in a while.

On that note, my youngest son and I took in a movie this afternoon, Stan & Ollie, almost had me in tears at points. Also had me laughing out loud, rarely does a movie touch me so.

Once upon a Time a buddy told me to try some 10/2 romex with the ground wire pulled out, I did and I liked it.
People are often surprised that 'normal wire' conducts electricity quite well.

On another note, I "explored the wonders of sex, drugs and rock and roll" in the '60s, and the '60s are not over, their influence is all around you, permeating our culture and your mind. It's a pity you missed "the real thing" and wander in a vague simulacrum like hipsters wearing VR headsets and waving their hands in air as if they might feel something, all the while dissing the '60s.

Last edited:
When a boy, I thought stranded wire was inferior because it was oxidizing at the ends of the strands. Then I discovered tinning. Plenty of solder at the tip and you are good for years. But it gets hard to take around the binding posts. But so does the solid core wire. So now I use whatever I find lying around.

When a boy, I thought stranded wire was inferior because it was oxidizing at the ends of the strands. Then I discovered tinning. Plenty of solder at the tip and you are good for years. But it gets hard to take around the binding posts. But so does the solid core wire. So now I use whatever I find lying around.

The inferior wire will actually oxidize all the way around the spool under the right conditions, that's what OFC is for, oxidation can only occur if oxygen is present.

The inferior wire will actually oxidize all the way around the spool under the right conditions, that's what OFC is for, oxidation can only occur if oxygen is present.

The discoloration of speaker cables 'around the spool' has nothing to do with it being OFC or not. The gassing off of chemicals from the insulating jacket and/or the presence of moisture and air causes the reactions that make the copper go black/green/grey etc.

Oxygen free copper of the grading used in audio has an identical conductivity to Cu-ETP. Cu-ETP is already 99.90% pure, OFC is 99.99%.

The discoloration of speaker cables 'around the spool' has nothing to do with it being OFC or not. The gassing off of chemicals from the insulating jacket and/or the presence of moisture and air causes the reactions that make the copper go black/green/grey etc.

Oxygen free copper of the grading used in audio has an identical conductivity to Cu-ETP. Cu-ETP is already 99.90% pure, OFC is 99.99%.

Well I've never seen this happen with OFC speaker wire, but fairly regularly with cheap lampcord etc. So whatever the reason it pays to just pay a few dollars more.

Well it seems the pros agree with me lol.

"Another perceived benefit of oxygen-free copper is due to the susceptibility of copper to corrosion when exposed to air. If you’ve ever had the pleasure of removing an old car battery, you know that copper exposed to oxygen corrodes battery cables, and stops conductivity dead in its tracks (electrons go in, but they don’t come out). According to tests, oxygen-free copper also runs cooler than other conductors. It’s more resistant to shorts, more durable and long-lasting, and is far less likely to corrode, due to the reduced oxygen content.

In light of all this, it becomes clear that the reason for OFC is due to consistent signal transfer in precision applications, longer life, greater reliability, and better performance over long cable runs. As such, if you’ve just installed a Rupert Neve Designs 5088 console in your studio to the tune of six figures, you’re going to want your cables to carry that tune all the way to number one on the Billboard charts. And, as Mogami states, there is no single magic bullet to creating superior cables. Rather, a combination of several factors, of which their years of research has determined that OFC copper is one. That, and the fact that cable is not meant to modify or alter signal in any way. Its job is to pass audio as transparently as the laws of physics will allow."

Last edited:
It was created for high-vacuum environments where oxygen outgassing could occur, and would be ruinous. The benefits above are craftily worded and completely out of context. Pseudoscience at its best.

It was created for high-vacuum environments where oxygen outgassing could occur, and would be ruinous. The benefits above are craftily worded and completely out of context. Pseudoscience at its best.

Well since you know better maybe you should take this up with Mogami Cable, maybe they're hiring lol.

Back
Top Bottom