Options: Keep my B&W CDM-1 SE or get Mirage Omni 260?

11somekid

Part-time Lunatic
Subscriber
I've had my trusty B&Ws for years, and it is one of the best bookshelf speakers I have listened to. However, I really like the enveloping sound of a nice floor-standing. However, I've never actually owned a full loudspeaker that was worth its salt. I've noticed a pair of these Mirages available in my area, and I thought that I could exchange the B&Ws for these. Would it give in an improvement of the sound? I know the consensus for the B&Ws is an overall flat sound, but I have no idea what the Mirages are like. Would I gain a better sound out of these?

Can you demo the Mirages? if so let your ears be the deciding factor.

Here's hoping there's someone here who has had and listened to both speakers and can give you an educated response.

I've had my trusty B&Ws for years, and it is one of the best bookshelf speakers I have listened to. However, I really like the enveloping sound of a nice floor-standing. However, I've never actually owned a full loudspeaker that was worth its salt. I've noticed a pair of these Mirages available in my area, and I thought that I could exchange the B&Ws for these. Would it give in an improvement of the sound? I know the consensus for the B&Ws is an overall flat sound, but I have no idea what the Mirages are like. Would I gain a better sound out of these?

If you like your current Bowers & Wilkins stand-mounts and want that "enveloping sound of a nice floor-standing" speaker, you should just add the appropriate REL sub based on your speaker quality and room size. Be sure to connect it via the high level connection as REL recommends. Go to subwoofer finder below, I think you will be very happy.

https://rel.net/

IMO, not all subwoofers are created equal, at least not for two channel music listening.

I have absolutely no knowledge of the Mirages, but while I really like my CDM-1s there is no comparison to a good floor standing speaker.

I have absolutely no knowledge of the Mirages, but while I really like my CDM-1s there is no comparison to a good floor standing speaker.

I'll have to disagree, I've never heard the CDM-1's but have you added a high quality sub to them? You'd be surprised at how good the presentation of a high quality stand mount can sound when paired with a high quality sub (room dependent of course). I've had monster floor standers in here capable of some serious low end Hz and my 805D2 and REL S/2 sub leave nothing to be desired.

I'll have to disagree, I've never heard the CDM-1's but have you added a high quality sub to them? You'd be surprised at how good the presentation of a high quality stand mount can sound when paired with a high quality sub (room dependent of course). I've had monster floor standers in here capable of some serious low end Hz and my 805D2 and REL S/2 sub leave nothing to be desired.
The CDM-1s are in my 3rd system in what we call the party hut(she shed to some people), so they're more for casual fun type listening. The main system with the Allison Twos is for more serious listening sessions, and there is no way the CDM-1s and a sub could hang with the Allisons. They just don't have the ability to create the huge all over soundstage the Allisons are capable of.

The CDM-1s are in my 3rd system in what we call the party hut(she shed to some people), so they're more for casual fun type listening. The main system with the Allison Twos is for more serious listening sessions, and there is no way the CDM-1s and a sub could hang with the Allisons. They just don't have the ability to create the huge all over soundstage the Allisons are capable of.

I hear you but soundstage is a different matter entirely and not dependent on weather a speaker is a stand-mount or a floor-stander. I've even had SDA's in here and the 805D2's do not disappoint but yes, with respect to soundstage I've heard more than my share of disappointing stand-mounts (as well as floor-standers for that matter).

Can you demo the Mirages? if so let your ears be the deciding factor.

Here's hoping there's someone here who has had and listened to both speakers and can give you an educated response.
They're about an hour drive away, and my car gets <12 mpg most of the time. It'll probably cost more to drive there and back twice than to buy it!:D
If you like your current Bowers & Wilkins stand-mounts and want that "enveloping sound of a nice floor-standing" speaker, you should just add the appropriate REL sub based on your speaker quality and room size. Be sure to connect it via the high level connection as REL recommends. Go to subwoofer finder below, I think you will be very happy.

https://rel.net/

IMO, not all subwoofers are created equal, at least not for two channel music listening.
I've yet to delve into the world of subs, and I've always thought that would be a fun experience. However, dropping $1k on something I've never listened to is a bit of a risk.

I went from WhatHifi darling B&W 602 S3 to Mirage Omni 260.
Let me put it this way: there's no going back once you get used to having the 3D soundstage of the Mirages.
The B&Ws do something very good though: accurate representation of what's playing.

Back
Top Bottom