Baltec 30s, a micro review.

thedelihaus

Nocturnal transmissions
I received a great little speaker from a fellow AKer here, the Baltec 30.

A Latvian speaker brand, the build quality of these little guys are excellent. More on that later. To the sound...

The tweeter has the appearance of a cheap Radio Shack, but don't let the looks fool you. Highs are much better than expected. While the highs won't give you nose bleeds or cut glass, they surely prove they are able to do the job of a proper, good quality tweeter. Very revealing of the sighs of Holly Cole during her jazz numbers, Nick cave's piano tickling (very nice here!), the ache and cracking in Greg Brown's voice, and various twangs and buzzes of stringed instruments.

The little woofers, around the 5" mark, are deep-cone beasties, deep like inverted funnels. feed 'em the tunes, they really move the music. They bob and dance aggressively, pushing out the air and notes with vigor. Switch to an 8" woofer, the difference seems marginal but noticeable. Go to a 10", well, sorry, at this point it becomes apparent the bass from the small woofer isn't going to wow your socks off, it just isn't there in comparison. But it still holds its head up high, like Sean Astin in that movie RUDY. These little fellas have plenty of guts and pride.

Overall build quality is fabulous. The crossovers are beefy, with big, buff caps and solid workmanship. The stuffing in the speaker is held in place with a vinyl hair net. I'd have thought it was an accident- a Latvian worker's misshap, accidentally leaving his/her hairnet in the speakerbox, but I found it in both speakers. So therefore it was intentional. a neat, quality addition, a true sound of craftsmanship. Woofers feature a heavy, cast frame- very nice. The only visual letdown on these is the plastic covers for the tweeter and for the woofer frames, designed to cover that afformentioned heavy cast frame on the woofer, they cheapen the look of the speaker a bit.

Overall, a great speaker to listen to. Your mind/ears quickly forget you're listening to a small speaker, so bass seems plentiful. Voices are robust, strings are sharp, reeds are woody, and the overall sound is rich, full enough to satisfy no problem. Not a bit fatiguing, and only lacking when you bring out the big guns to compare. Wich really isn't fair.

My only problem wirth these is a buzzy woofer on one speaker. Both buzzed and rattled a bit initially, something I attributed to the fact the wood screws were a bit loose on the pair, and not allowing any bite to solidify the driver to the box.

Some wood putty was used, ands the screws bite wonderfully now. But although the speakers no longer rattle, the left speaker buzzes terribly. Really too bad- these speakers are an endearing pair for sure. I look forward to finding a second pair, for cheap, or jeez, at all, if I can (they're Gypsies, you know!), to replace that crapped out woofer. These were intended to be either giveaways or kitchen speakers. I can't give 'em away due to that buzz, but if I can fix that driver, these will surely due duty in the kitchen, and be the best kitchen speaker I could've ever dreamed of. It's almost a shame to use it as a lowly kitchen speaker, the sound is suprisingly much too good for that, but maybe that Latvian flavour will rub off on my cooking...

I wanted to dislike these, but I really can't. They impressed me with much better sound than expected. I need to give credit and respect where needed.

Wish me luck finding an original replacement driver, or a similiar driver worthy of 'em!

Feel free to agree or dissagree with my review, and be sure to post comments. I'd like to see if you think I've nailed it, or if I'm off mark. Argue and dissagree with my thoughts on this speaker, or tell me you feel the same. And being a Latvian speaker, I'm well prepared for your jokes- let 'em rip! :thmbsp:

Attachments

• baltecjbl.jpg
    baltecjbl.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
I do not- I ended up with two pair, and both are with a local AK member now, who uses them at his summer cabin.

I know this is an older thread, but there will likely not be many regarding this great line of Baltek (Baltec) speakers made in Latvia by the now defunct Radio Teknika company. They made some amazing speakers and a great line of heavy, real wood consoles and components.
Anyway, I concur with the original post and more. I previously owned a pair of Baltek 90 tower speakers who have since found their way to another AK owner. Those 90's had the lowest bass output I have ever heard and felt for a ~ 34" tower speaker with an ~ 8" woofer I have ever experienced. The bass was clean and present even at low volume levels and would carry throughout the whole +1,760 sq/ft home of ours.
Now I am not saying the mighty little 30's are as robust, but they have the y, balance same build quality, balance of sound and bass output for their size. They make for, what I call, a great boutique system with a small quality Yamaha or Sony compact stereo or even a vintage Marantz 2230/38/52 or Sony STR 60xx or 70xx series. I am listening to them now with a humble little Sony CMT-NEZ3 compact stereo. I have started a small collection of these late 90's to early 2000's compact stereos. At only 10 to 15 watts/ch, this little Sony pumps out a decent and pleasant sound stage.
The Baltek 30's are rated at 8 ohms and that seems about right when measured. I compared them to a pair of Infinity 2000.2 (rated as 8 ohm closer to 6 ohm) which are about the same physical size (drivers-tweeter-cabinet) and the Infinity puts out a bit more volume at the same signal level, but the Baltek's are smoother cleaner, and wonderfully detailed. And. . those gorgeous wooden cabinets just make for a more pleasurable experience. The Baltek 30s , in my opinion, perform and look like speakers in the $250 to $400 range. I would place them above even the B&W DM 601 of the same era. . . . and I love B&Ws having a set of DM 603 S2 and DM 640.

I did have a small issue with one of the 30s. . . One speaker seemed lower in output than the other and, in fact, was. I got out my DVM and measuring across the speaker terminals of the "good" speaker I observed 7.9 ohms while the other was 47.8! So, upon removing the rear cross over/terminal panel I found some poor solder connections to the coils and some others looked questionable as well. After touching up 6 or 8 locations, all was well! A Latvian cold soldering iron and little flux.

So, in summary, if you have a chance to find a pair of Baltek in any size for a decent price, you may find them a pleasant surprise and a rare collectors item.

Some LINKS:
https://www.google.com/search?q=son...XV6P5N4b1mAGlpKTICg#tbm=isch&q=Radio+Technika

Last edited:
Defunct? Radiotehnika is far from defunct! They've been around for over 80 years and still going strong. By Latvian standards, a significant company. Check their website, they still actually make some of their old 70s models, more or less.

http://rrr.lv

Yes. . I stand corrected.. I should have included that since I have that website already bookmarked. The "new" company is a merger and is RRR RadioTehnika and still producing and selling some gear.
I do not think it is in the same building though. I haven't found any U.S. sellers however. Also, I don't see any speakers that are as pretty as the genuine mahogany S30s from the past. . . .:dunno:

Reviving this thread to point to a possible fix for your rattling Baltic woofers.

A woofer in my Baltic 50s started to rattle and I discovered sagging spiders. They are an easy fix with a spray bottle of water, chop sticks, a rubber band, and a heat gun. Use the chop sticks and rubber band to hold the cone up, then spray water on the spider. Use the heat gun to evaporate the water. This fixed my sagging spiders and my woofers no longer rattle.

Q4q1GeBl.jpg

7n6OIkXl.jpg

po0Ytz9l.jpg

Back
Top Bottom