The way it used to be...

Van_Nuys_Drive_In_1948.jpg
Went the many times!

Down here, on US 25-E, going to Kentucky & points NW, there was a pipe that stuck out of this mountain, & poured out a stream of DELICIOUS, cold water. You stuck yr face mouth up to it & got yr fill. We never worried about getting poisoned, sick, anything like that, & often, there were several cars waiting for their passengers to get THEIR fill., or fill up plastic jugs. Nowadays, people would likely have "Double-Dying Duck Fits" about something so unsafe & unsanitary, blah, blah, blah. but on a hot day, that cool water sure hit the spot ! There was/is a similar public well near Jefferson City, TN that was actually in a little building/shed, but offered similarly sweet, cool water. I don't remember ever hearing of anyone getting sick/dying from either place, but since everybody is SO effin' uptight about EVERYTHING anymore, it would be amazing if either place is still operational...

Down here, on US 25-E, going to Kentucky & points NW, there was a pipe that stuck out of this mountain, & poured out a stream of DELICIOUS, cold water. You stuck yr face mouth up to it & got yr fill. We never worried about getting poisoned, sick, anything like that, & often, there were several cars waiting for their passengers to get THEIR fill., or fill up plastic jugs. Nowadays, people would likely have "Double-Dying Duck Fits" about something so unsafe & unsanitary, blah, blah, blah. but on a hot day, that cool water sure hit the spot ! There was/is a similar public well near Jefferson City, TN that was actually in a little building/shed, but offered similarly sweet, cool water. I don't remember ever hearing of anyone getting sick/dying from either place, but since everybody is SO effin' uptight about EVERYTHING anymore, it would be amazing if either place is still operational...
I never get sick. I tell people it's because as a child I ate dry dog food to impress my friends. I have the constitution of a turkey buzzard. I don't do raw road kill any more though because it tastes like excrement. And it's kinda slimy. And the fur gets stuck in my teeth.

Factory farming has been a threat to spring fed ground water, now fracking is a threat, the petro/gas boom hasn't been good for everyone.
My water comes straight out of a hole in the ground, the farm up the road is thankfully small scale, no fracking hereabouts. So far, so good.

Last edited:
Factory farming has been a threat to spring fed ground water, now fracking is a threat, the petro/gas boom hasn't been good for everyone.
My water comes straight out of a hole in the ground, the farm up the road is thankfully small scale. No fracking hereabouts, so far, so good.
Yep. I have a natural stream coming out of the bottom of one of my knobs. The guy before me put a little pumphouse there to pump water to a faucet in the garden. On top of the knob is where he fed all his cattle. I've owned it for four years now. I need to get the water tested. Some of my "survivalist" neighbors really covet that spring. :)

Hmmmmmpf... People back in the 1800s were made out of a LOT Tougher Stuff than we are. My maternal gran, who died in '93 after being born in 1889, she & her sister Laura were playing in their family's barn, sliding down a big mound of hay, & Laura ran a pitchfork thru her foot. She & my gran stuffed it full of straw, Laura hobbled around for awhile, & that was basically that. They DIDN'T tell their parents, 'cause THEIR daddy had told them to stay out of the barn, & they were terrified of what he would have done to them for such gross disobedience. Aunt Laura told that story to me as a kid, &I kinda pooh-poohed it, she says, "Looky HERE"... pulled off her shoe, & on the bottom of her foot were 2 small indentations that had blackish spots on 'em. Those are what's left of the straw, she explained. Nowadays, they'd have tossed Laura in the hospital for a week, pumped her foot full of antibiotics, Lord knows what all, it would have been a MAJOR league Big Deal. IIRC, Laura finally died in the mid-late Seventies, she made it I think almost to 100, too. There were 7-8 of them young 'uns, one was crazy, one got killed in WW2, but all the rest lived almost DISGUSTINGLY long lives.

My earliest memories of holidays at grandparents was dinner off a coal fired stove and a 1930s phone without a dial and its own ring pattern on a party line. The TV was a 16" RCA roundy BW, we didn't have one yet.

My earliest memories of holidays at grandparents was dinner off a coal fired stove and a 1930s phone without a dial and its own ring pattern on a party line. The TV was a 16" RCA roundy BW, we didn't have one yet.
Our ring was two short ones. The neighbor's was one long ring.

I had/have an ICOM R-7000, which is a fancy radio that will pick up 20-2000 Mhz. It would pick up Cell phones, which in the early 90s weren't digitised, homogenized, refried, all that. Most of it was mundane "Maw, I'm at th' Store. Want me to pick up innythaing ?", or teenagers squealing w/delight over their newest toy. Only time I really ever picked up anything much interesting was when Uncle John, my neighbor across the street, was on the phone w/someone telling them his wife, Marie, who had been my 6th grade teacher & was kinda Mama #2. THAT was kinda tough.

Guess I shoulda put in my previous post that Uncle John was telling that guy that Marie had died. I think she had kidney failure, amongst other things. Their son, David,died last year, I think he was in his sixties. He had literally been shot to hell in Vietnam. He got caught in a firefight, was hit in his leg & torso, his wounds set up a electrolytic reaction, he should have died, but he made it back home. He woke up in an Army hospital in Japan a few weeks later, still had his fatigues on, still had dried mud on his pants. I saw him once several years back w/o a shirt on, & there were large chunks of his torso gone. He got 100% disability, but they kept trying to take it away from him, because he COULD work somewhat, some days he could outwork anyone, but a lot of the time he was doing good to get out of bed. He was a little, quiet guy, an EXCELLENT neighbor. & I miss him, even though we weren't that close. His wife, Regenia & me & my wife aren't all that close either, but we kinda keep an eye on each other. We're there for each other, if we ever need to be.

In New Jersey, back before the days of the Interstates, the major East-West highway was U.S. Route 22, which crossed the state all the way to the Pennsylvania border. The Eastern end of this road was the most heavily-populated back then, and traffic was probably 10% of what it is today. Some genius (or knucklehead, depending how you see it) got the idea that there should be retail stores on the center divider of this road (!) to facilitate "easier shopping" for the general population.

So, for 5 or 6 miles, there have always been a bunch of establishments along this stretch, with entrances and exits in both directions, which, combined with about 15 U-turns along said median, has been the cause of many hundreds of accidents over the years. But by far the most unusual (almost surrealistic) vision on this stretch is The Flagship....a full-sized replica of an ocean-going vessel, which has been home to many businesses, including The Wiz Electronics for a few years.

upload_2019-2-14_23-2-49.png

Back
Top Bottom