RCM warping records?

I own one, and recently purchased a Bowie 3LP reissue. I didn't check prior to cleaning, but after cleaning noticed that one of the records had developed not a warp, but a slight bell shape, as if the grooved area was pulled down on one side, leaving the label area slightly higher. If you can picture it. I don't know if that shape was there prior to cleaning, as I didn't check. Just curious if any others had seen it. I should have explained in more detail in the OP.

but a slight bell shape, as if the grooved area was pulled down on one side, leaving the label area slightly higher.
Do you mean "dished"? That is quite common with LPs that have been stored for a long time horizontally, stacked on each other. Dished LPs are easy to fix and should play anyway unless severe. Any decent clamp should help.

In general when I plunk LPs in my US at around 40° C they tend to get out of shape but quickly flatten back out and I have never warped a record by cleaning it. I have erased grooves trying to flatten them however.

I have warped records with an ultrasonic cleaner a couple times, and have also broken a record on a Nitty Gritty by scrubbing a little bit to zealously I guess. It happens :(

Do you mean "dished"? That is quite common with LPs that have been stored for a long time horizontally, stacked on each other. Dished LPs are easy to fix and should play anyway unless severe. Any decent clamp should help.

In general when I plunk LPs in my US at around 40° C they tend to get out of shape but quickly flatten back out and I have never warped a record by cleaning it. I have erased grooves trying to flatten them however.

If you warped it once, it's warped, even if it appears to 'goes back'. I also found 40 c was too hot - it warped my records beyond return. :(

If you warped it once, it's warped, even if it appears to 'goes back'. I also found 40 c was too hot - it warped my records beyond return. :(
I have washed hundreds and not warped a single one. I have also flattened a few dished LPs over the years. Not sure if a minor SQ degradation took place, if it did it was beyond my hearing's ability.

I have washed hundreds and not warped a single one. I have also flattened a few dished LPs over the years. Not sure if a minor SQ degradation took place, if it did it was beyond my hearing's ability.

My problem was simply this: inexperience. I popped them in, and forget to keep checking and the next thing I knew was that I had four nice, new shiny pieces of wall art! Ugh....

Back
Top Bottom