Yamaha HPE-5 - anything like Koss PortaPro?

62vauxhall

I just finished a strange transaction for an amplifier and tossed in was a pair of Yamaha HPE-5 headphones. In the hour or so that I've had them, there does not seem to be any info online concerning that model that I have seen.

Are they a legitimate stand alone headphone or were they included with some sort of portable device?

Can't try them yet, but they look and "feel" somewhat OK. Years ago I had some Koss PortPro's I quite liked and this Yamaha pair kind of remind me of those.

IMG_3886.JPG IMG_3888.JPG

FWIW, just now happened to find an expired e-bay listing showing the box they came in. Says for Yamaha keyboards and the retail sticker - $64.95.

Yamaha HPE-5 box 2.jpg

The PortaPro's I had were first generation,. I believe they were smaller than modern iterations and had that sort of "D" shaped piece that sat on your ears. The inside surface was lined with closed cell foam of some kind and it liquified over time. I used those more than any other 'phone's I owned.

One feature of the Yamaha evident from the image is the choice of using them open or closed. Have not seen that before (but then, I don't get out much) and found that intriguing.

These are current Koss Portapro's. I have a pair. They are nothing like the Yamaha's
61%2By3fxkl6L._SX679_.jpg

I always see Yamaha headphones prefixed HPE at musician type stores. Places like Sweetwater or Guitar Center. I would assume they are intended for pro audio use. Their hi-fi headphones typically carry an HPH prefix, and in-ear headphones are EPH.

Back in the early 1980's I bought a pair of Yamaha headphones made for their then current line of small portable keyboards. I was surprised at how good they sounded and when I had a chance I bought a second pair to keep stored away. The first pair finally wore out around 2000 and I've got the second pair in the carry case with my ancient MP3 player. They still sound good.

Mark Gosdin

Back
Top Bottom