Classic Car Humour

You know why they put defroster wires in the back window of the MGB-GT?

Keeps your hands warm while you push it home.

Never had to push mine home but it had a habit of the defrost and other buttons flashing on their own with the added attraction of the radio going on and off at the same time.

My first car was a 1971 MGB-GT. Loved that car. Hated that car. Loved it when I got it, loved it when it went away. Still would like to have another, but too many Spits.

You know why the Brits drink warm beer? Lucas made their refrigerators.

Last edited:
If Lucas made guns there would be no wars. A buddy bought a 73 MGB, he used to say MGB stands for me going broke. When I was in my late teens I worked for an outfit called Auto Marine Electric. British Leyland products kept is in business,70% of our customers owned them. ;)

A high school friend said MGB stood for "Me Going Bankrupt". He knew every tow truck driver in Oak Ridge in that era, by first name. He paid for AAA, and got their highest end membership (something high school students rarely paid attention to). Saved him a lot of money in tow bills. His father was a physicist at Oak Ridge National Laboratory, they could afford it. He had cool toys, and better audio than what I could only dream of back then. And that was his father's hand me downs at that.

My friend Keith was a fan of Morris Garage....he had a BGT, and a Midget, both around `71 vintage. The Midget had no top on it. We once had to drive it home in the pouring rain. I REALLY didn`t like it after that experience....

My Dad was mostly a Ford guy. He bought my Mom a new Ford Convertible every three years. I remember a '57 white with red interior, a '60 baby blue Sunliner, a '63 Galaxie 500 XL in dark metallic blue, and a '66 Galaxie 500, also dark blue. My Mom said she loved the look of an XK-E but my Dad said "No British cars!" But they went shopping and he bought her a 1968 MG-B GT (also dark blue). He brought it home and decided our entire family of six should go for a ride together. My little brother and sister laid down in the back under that glass. My older brother and I (17 and 15) sat in the back "seat". Dad was driving and Mom was in the passenger seat. At the first stop light my Dad tapped out a Pall Mall, flipped in up to his mouth, and pushed in the car's lighter. The car died immediately. First drive in the car and we were all standing by the side of the road waiting for the tow truck. Our first encounter with Lucas Electrics!

Later on I flipped the little B-GT end-over-end three times leaving us upside down in a ditch. But that's another story . . .

I don't think I ever had my BGT going fast enough to flip it end-over-end three times. Man, that would NOT have been a fun experience.

I have dual exhaust outlets on my Spitfire. Makes it easy to "Wheelbarrow" it home when it dies.

I don't think I ever had my BGT going fast enough to flip it end-over-end three times. Man, that would NOT have been a fun experience.
All it takes in an inexperienced driver, fairly used-up bias-ply Dunlops, a narrow road, a bit of wetness on the road, and a ditch alongside. When the State Trooper looked at the car upside-down in the ditch with the front wheel still spinning lazily like a bad movie, he saw the tires and didn't even ticket me. Mom, on the other hand, was less understanding.[/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom