WOW!! Is it April...McIntosh MTI 100

If one takes the time to look at the product photos, they will see "assembled in China" on the back.

There is a video of Charlie Randall himself in an interview saying, 'As long as I am leading Mcintosh, nothing will be made overseas, because my quality will suffer.'

(This is not about being 'anti-made in China'. This is about Mcintosh as a company.)

I zoomed in but could not see the text on the back. ..Just now I looked at the Owners Manual and indeed see it in a diagram "engineered in Binghamton, assembled in China."

Still, I say so what? My MacBook Pro and iPhone were assembled in China and are absolutely incredible devices, and beautifully crafted. ..So long as it's only their least expensive items, I don't have a problem with it. That is, so long as they feel and function precisely like one expects of a Mac product.

Again, they need to survive. ..And comments made by Charlie Randall 5-10 years ago don't apply, IMHO. He should have known better than to make any such promises.

I zoomed in but could not see the text on the back. ..Just now I looked at the Owners Manual and indeed see it in a diagram "engineered in Binghamton, assembled in China."

Still, I say so what? My MacBook Pro and iPhone were assembled in China and are absolutely incredible devices, and beautifully crafted. ..So long as it's only their least expensive items, I don't have a problem with it. That is, so long as they feel and function precisely like one expects of a Mac product.

Again, they need to survive. ..And comments made by Charlie Randall 5-10 years ago don't apply, IMHO. He should have known better than to make any such promises.

You simply don't get it. We've all been over this multiple times. I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

No... Have you place an order for every car you happen to like?

I'll address this directly. You shouldn't make assumptions, with zero knowledge or information, about a persons willingness or ability to do something. No, I have never placed an order for a car I just happened to liked. If I wanted to I could, at the stroke of a pen, for the full balance. This was a fairly silly apple to oranges comparison; it is expected from a person on the losing side of an argument.

If you wish to continue this back and forth, please feel free to do so. I don't back down so you're guaranteed to lose. For the sake of this tread, let's take the fight to private message to keep this thread from getting locked - which will happen.

If you wish to continue this back and forth, please feel free to do so. I don't back down so you're guaranteed to lose. For the sake of this tread, let's take the fight to private message to keep this thread from getting locked - which will happen.

I will not engage in any name calling or be otherwise disrespectful; so long as you agree to same there is no reason to expect this thread to be shut down. This isn't an argument for you or I to win, it's a discussion for you and and I to have in which others may also participate or, if they'd prefer, to read along. ..It's okay to argue/debate, but be respectful. I know I intend to.

Last edited:
Now back to the thread.

The MTI100 and RS200 are lifestyle products. A term which some use as a put-down but it should not be. Such products are intended to fit in well with their core customer's way of life. If they satisfy a need and are well executed it is a win for company and customer alike.

Both of these products do this and unlike the Clock ($1800) and lightbox ($1500) these products actually play music - which is what McIntosh is known for. ..If these two very expensive Lifestyle Products did no irreparable damage to McIntosh's image, it's hard to see how the Integrated Turntable and RS200 Wireless Speaker System would.

As for the RS200 being assembled in China, I think the choice McIntosh was faced with was to either have it assembled there or not have it at all. ..There's no way I can imagine such a product being built here and sold here for $3000, which is a pretty lofty price for such a device. ..If building it in Binghamton would have necessitated charging a $1000 more for it, I think it would have been a non-starter.

The best thing Mac can do for it's employees and devoted customers is to STAY IN BUSINESS. ..If that requires having a handful of their offerings come from overseas, so be it.

Last edited:

As for the RS200 being assembled in China, I think the choice McIntosh was faced with was to either have it assembled there or not have it at all. ..There's no way I can imagine such a product being built here and sold here for $3000, which is a pretty lofty price for such a device. ...If that requires having a handful of their less expensive offerings to come from overseas, so be it.

I agree especially considering that the initial price I saw in an article was £7,945!!! Which I think would have assured sales in the single digits.

Oh and by the way.... HAS ANYONE HEARD IT YET?

The only question I have about this product is if it's up-gradable. Too often, non-computer companies like McIntosh forget that when you include digital technology like bluetooth, you are also assuring instant obsolescence when digital standards change, and they change A LOT.

This product would actually be attractive to me as both a computer nerd and audiophile IF it was easily modified/upgraded. At least it doesn't have proprietary connectors like Bose.

Last edited:
One of Bose most successful offerings has been the Wave Radio. Mac may be checking for acceptance of something similar for their demographic, who would prefer "their" own brand choice to an alternative.

One of Bose most successful offerings has been the Wave Radio. Mac may be checking for acceptance of something similar for their demographic, who would prefer "their" own brand choice to an alternative.

I guess the next thing from MAC will be noise-cancelling headphones with a 5744 tube sticking out of it. LOL

The only question I have about this product is if it's up-gradable. Too often, non-computer companies like McIntosh forget that when you include digital technology like bluetooth, you are also assuring instant obsolescence when digital standards change, and they change A LOT.

This product would actually be attractive to me as both a computer nerd and audiophile IF it was easily modified/upgraded. At least it doesn't have proprietary connectors like Bose.

Upgradeability is a good question and it raises another. How about serviceability?? The warranty is the same 3 years as other McIntosh components (which I've always felt is a bit weak). If it's made overseas McIntosh's only solution for units that fail while under warranty might be to replace them. But what if it breaks 4 or 5 years down the road? ..Will it be serviceable by McIntosh?

Still, these concerns aside, I think it's a homerun style wise and in terms of filling a need. As I said before, people may want a nice looking and sounding music source for an office, living room, shore house, lake house, etc. etc. without the usual component clutter and jumble of cords. Like Pio said, it's not unlike the Bose Wave Radio, which was hugely successful.

I guess the next thing from MAC will be noise-cancelling headphones with a 5744 tube sticking out of it. LOL
I admit to a lack of enthusiasm for the tube inclusion on the MT100. Seems more a marketing idea than an engineering decision, perhaps to appeal to a tube-rolling option trend.

I can see a lot of the finance set getting these for their offices and Hampton's places. FWIW I sold a total of 4 McAire's while they were out and each one went to "the beach house", the same buyers also put serious thought and money into their main setups so I didn't really fault them for it.

I can see a lot of the finance set getting these for their offices and Hampton's places. FWIW I sold a total of 4 McAire's while they were out and each one went to "the beach house", the same buyers also put serious thought and money into their main setups so I didn't really fault them for it.

You sold them? So you can definitely add to this discussion :)

Do you feel the McAire negatively impacted peoples' perception of the brand in any way?

Did you ever check back with these customers to gauge their satisfaction with their McAire?

Last edited:
I admit to a lack of enthusiasm for the tube inclusion on the MT100. Seems more a marketing idea than an engineering decision, perhaps to appeal to a tube-rolling option trend.

Are those cages easily removed? If so then maybe.

Back
Top Bottom