Jazz Fusion Playlist

Bookmarked as well, thanks!

@Drumaniac
@Cactus Bob
Glad to help. We'll likely find more in future, they aren't easily found on google genre searches in general, but need to look specifically for stations. Wishing I could go thru my defunct live365 saved list of @ 300 stations, all fusion & prog and search web for each one. If time frees up, will do sometime & then post best links here. We may find 5 or 10 more really hot stations out there !

Last edited:
Great Protical 4 vid! And a great cd, nice to see Simon working with such talent Greg Howe, Tibbs and Hamm. Just killer.
As for stations? Man,I wish I could host my own, I have enough prog and fusion to last a few lifetimes. And it's my wish that everyone could discover all of the fantastic and obscure artist around th globe.

@MJB1959
You would be an awesome web broadcaster, ranking at the very top ! ? Maybe a retirement endeavor ? Count me in as your 1st listening fan. Along with the massive collection, the educational knowledge is something special to share.

Looked into it before, it's not hard at all to do, and doesn't cost much at all (see live365 broadcasting section).
Two things seem tuff - securing sponsors to offset minimal costs, but site(s) may provide them automatically, and time involved.

The time element depends on how involved the station is, often it is 1 guy doing it. I think the initial start up requires much time at 1st, but then the station sorta just "plays itself". Playlists developed & loaded just run automatically thru programmed schedules. They don't repeat when programmed from vast music collections. Fellow (Joe C.) as mentioned in previous post did it part-time as a hobby & passion for music only, and to share to the world. Surely, folks all over the globe learned about & newly tuned into fusion & prog as a new genre pursuit for them. Would be very cool to inspire some youth to become musicians also !

Thank you, this is very helpful. Was a bit surprised to learn JayZ owns Tidal, some confuse it with the Tidal loudspeaker mfr, but that is a different company. Qobuz started in Europe ( ? France, maybe ? ) & as you said since available in US now, wondering how that one will turn out also. It's tuff for me to listen to overly compressed music, I really notice disturbing elements.

Hoping with time MQA becomes huge, then maybe with that expanse the monthly prices may drop.

Great Tidal information, it explains it fully, and much appreciated. Thanks !

Glad to be of help. Luckily Audirvana has MQA decoding embedded and includes links for 90 day trials of Tidal and Qobuz so I didn't have to spend any extra money to try MQA.

Glad to be of help. Luckily Audirvana has MQA decoding embedded and includes links for 90 day trials of Tidal and Qobuz so I didn't have to spend any extra money to try MQA.

That's good news ! Will need to try Audirvana on next computer, this one is too weak but has a great sound chip module inside (got lucky there).

Fellow GG fan ! Cool. Saw early tour when they did Octopus way back & then saw Three Friends at NEARfest - very impressed with their integrity, both sensational and really tight. Lately SW's remaster of The Power and the Glory is always spinnin' here, maybe becoming my fave GG album.

Have you heard SW's remaster of Octopus, & if so, how is it vs original lp or cd ? I heard it only across the web (not enuff rez from site) but will likely buy SW disc used.

Thanks for Audirvana info !
:beerchug:

Last edited:
@MJB1959

Forgot to mention if the music collection is not already digital on computer, - but on lp, reel, cd, cassette, then the work involved to upstart broadcasting would be tremendous, unless manned like an old-time traditional radio station (before cartridges) playing record to record with dj's 24/7 or limited hours. That's what thwarted me, along with little time all around. I maybe mistaken, but if it would take a staff to upload all that which is enormous hours on multiple players 24/7. However, if so, then once digitalized it should go smoothly.

Too bad the music can't be played at mega-ultra hi-speed (like lp duplicator machines) & then uploaded & finalized down to normal speed with a computer clic - that would work (but tapes would rip physically, so only lp or cd would apply if possible). A genius may be able to modify an industrial lp duplication machine to actually do this, I'd bet. (worth some thought). But I don't know if a retail lp would work as the master. ? ! :idea: (think the original master disc is more like a thick plate with different grooves, not sure).

The other idea is to later in life "will" the collection to a private listening room where the music can't be removed, only played on location. Some big-city public Libraries do this & lp's are not allowed to leave the room (can't be lended out). Haven't been in the Philly library for 35 years, but they had a rare & common jazz & classical section that did this in a special non-lending room. Some titles were ultra rare & highly guarded. It was cool to hear out of print jazz lp's that were only read about & never available. In time lp's did get worn, you could hear it sometimes. They used entry-level gear & headphones for playback; I think one could bring their own headphones. Helps a lot of folks hear interesting music. Or, "will" to someone close, they can sell collection & make a bundle - the music still lives on in new hands !

Apologies for divergence from playlist, just trying to spread fusion & thinking of novel ways for more to enjoy it ! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Great album ! Urbaniak rocked from way back.

Another idea...I have a cd-dvd duplicator here. The industrial types (not expensive) do run at very high speed to make a copy in seconds or a minute or 2. If the unit is interfaced into a computer, uploaded to copy & then at finish, clic'd back to speed, you've got a fast cd copy on the computer. Wha-la...cd issue resolved ! It must be what the guys are doing.

Hectic Watermelon, that's an unknown, what's it like ?
EDIT - whoops, I see play vids for it now ! Thanks !

Great album ! Urbaniak rocked from way back.

Another idea...I have a cd-dvd duplicator here. The industrial types (not expensive) do run at very high speed to make a copy in seconds or a minute or 2. If the unit is interfaced into a computer, uploaded to copy & then at finish, clic'd back to speed, you've got a fast cd copy on the computer. Wha-la...cd issue resolved ! It must be what the guys are doing.

Hectic Watermelon, that's an unknown, what's it like ?
EDIT - whoops, I see play vids for it now ! Thanks !

Ripping CDs is very fast. That’s pretty much how everyone does it, just straight internal rip.

GJ

GJ,
Would a super computer be needed if ripping, say 3000 cd's ? How fast can a rip go on a great computer ? Just wondering, mine is slow here..

GJ,
Would a super computer be needed if ripping, say 3000 cd's ? How fast can a rip go on a great computer ? Just wondering, mine is slow here..

Well, there’s the rub. You’d still have to do them one at a time. If you only wanted certain tunes, you could go a little faster. A lot of “front-loading” work.

GJ

Seems like a small dedicated staff could get it done for a broadcaster to get started, then add more to keep ahead until the fellow's collection is done. It's why I think a hi-speed cd duplicator interfaced might work, but audio quality may be involved. Sound on Sound recommends 4x speed for best quality, yet DIY commercial dups run 52x up to 100 cd's per hour copied. One lone cd likely runs fast, I guess 36 seconds ? A big record label industry cd duplicator may be quicker yet ( I dunno enuff bout it ) but since quality is all equal for tons of cd's to go to retail, they may be using a different master disc other than a retail cd. We need an industry insider to help us out...! :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom