What was the last movie you watched?

They Came to Rob Las Vegas (1968) Starring Gary Lockwood and Elke Sommer (Lockwood looks a lot like Pete Duel, I thought it was him at first).

This is a heist film, though it's more gab than heist.

The gang sets out to rob the high tech armored car, it's equipped with all the latest 1960's gadgets like widescreen two way video and an impenetrable vault. The prize is seven million dollars, hardly worth a thief getting out of bed for today.

This is mostly a film to watch for the excellent widescreen shots of 1968 Las Vegas (and some San Fransisco) and surrounding areas.

MV5BNGQzZmNhOTQtMzAxOC00ZWQ4LThjNzEtY2FhNTgyNzVhZjlmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc1NTYyMjg@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,666,1000_AL_.jpg

Wonder Bar
(Bacon/Berkeley, 1934)

* One of Jolson's most intriguing films, it also features two Berkeley-directed scenes, the first sublimely kaleidoscopic, the second a pre-Code era "WTF" affair of the sort that would come to an abrupt end upon the industry's adoption of "The Hays Code", effective 1 July 1934.

Shot Caller. On Amazon Prime. Really good movie.

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau plays a California stockbroker sent to prison for drunken driving homicide and who adapts to violent prison life. Coster-Waldau shows an emotional depth I had no idea he was capable of.

"Ender`s Game" (2013) Asa Butterfield, Hailee Steinfeld, Ben Kingsley, Harrison Ford

What we have here is a very slick and creative Sci-Fi adventure.
The timeframe: Some time in the future. Earth has been invaded by the Formics, large, insect-like creatures. These alien creatures defeated Earthlings for a while, until a skilled young soldier (Kingsley) figured a way to drive them away. But, that was 50 years in the past, current-day military commanders know that a new attack will come at any time. So, they test all young children to see which ones have the best aptitude for war, then send the chosen ones to Battle School. Ender Wiggins, a bright 15-ish student, is one who excels at every task. The school`s commander, Col. Graff (Ford) sees Ender as "the Saviour" among these young recruits, and pushes the boy as hard as possible to develop his skills.
Ender turns out to be an incredibly effective tactician, as well as a natural-born leader, also displaying great empathy for his recently-defeated foes.
I liked everything about this film....

Ever read the books? I did after the movie. Honestly after the first book it sort of drug on. There are I think 3 in the Ender trilogy. There are apparently others set in that universe centering around other characters from Ender's Game but I haven't read them. If they're as dry to read as the ones I did get through I'll pass.

Whoops. I would rate Roma 5/10. I thought it was boring and depressing.
Yeah, I HATED Gravity and tho I've heard great PRESS over ROMA - I'm hesitant
- there are so many OTHER good movies in line before it!

p.s. - tho I was impressed by Children of Men enough to buy it on bluray ...
still thought Gravity was a waste ... indulgent, ...ugh.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom