Opinions on budget sound card for PC?

swechsler

Frog Whisperer
I'm looking for an inexpensive sound card for a low profile PC (Dell Optiplex 9020) running Windows 10. I'm not looking for anything high end, I just want to be able to drive a pair of powered speakers (Sony SA-S900 - 2 way with an electrostatic tweeter) and a powered subwoofer, without needing a separate preamp or crossover. Ideally I'd like the ability to select a low pass and high pass filter for the sub and satellites, respectively. I'm considering the Xonar DGX - I've already got a Xonar DG in my office (Lenovo) PC driving a pair of Genelec nearfield monitors, and I'm happy with the sound, but the Optiplex doesn't have a PCI card slot, only PCI-e. Will that do what I'm looking for? Alternatively, is there anything else in the same price range that might do the trick? An external USB interface is also an option.

Last edited:
The inexpensive behringer usb soundcards measure very well if you don't care about the headphone output, which is usually crap.

I'm looking for an inexpensive sound card for a low profile PC (Dell Optiplex 9020) running Windows 10. I'm not looking for anything high end, I just want to be able to drive a pair of powered speakers (Sony SA-S900 - 2 way with an electrostatic tweeter) and a powered subwoofer, without needing a separate preamp or crossover. Ideally I'd like the ability to select a low pass and high pass filter for the sub and satellites, respectively. I'm considering the Xonar DGX - I've already got a Xonar DG in my office (Lenovo) PC driving a pair of Genelec nearfield monitors, and I'm happy with the sound, but the Optiplex doesn't have a PCI card slot, only PCI-e. Will that do what I'm looking for? Alternatively, is there anything else in the same price range that might do the trick? An external USB interface is also an option.

Buy a cambridge audio DAC and run the dedicated software to bypass the kernel. Then you will have pure digital out to your pre amp or direct to amplifer (if you use the built in volume control option). The software is KEY as i dont know of any other DAC that has software to bypass the kernel audio inside the PC. Ensure you run TIDAL or similar than runs CD quality streams.

The Windows Media Player that comes with Windows 10 ( WMP 12 ) does not have WASAPI. It can't be added either.

You can use ASIO with it.

Actually, I use WMP as well, it's not the perfect player, but does several things fairly well (including working with the Windows remote), and the UI is at least half decent. However, I'm not averse to changing if I find something better - I'm just too lazy to start looking around

Actually, I use WMP as well, it's not the perfect player, but does several things fairly well (including working with the Windows remote), and the UI is at least half decent. However, I'm not averse to changing if I find something better - I'm just too lazy to start looking around
MusicBee

MusicBee and MediaMonkey are the two apps I use on Windows.

Long term user of MM4, but migrated to the better UI of MB as a player. Haven't tried MM5, which is supposed to be an improved UI. Each as their benefits as a media manager.

I have been experimenting with different sound cards and on my personal PC, I have issues with random distortions at low volumes while I have 0 issues with the cheap USB DAC I have. It even sounds better as I don't want my PC "stepping on" the source before it sends it to my amp. I use Foobar and while it is somewhat clunky to set up properly and use, once you have it all working it works superb.

I've tried everything from ASUS Xonars to various Auzintech cards and even a Chinese Elfidelity.

Back
Top Bottom