TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

CDSGames (Allo) over on DIYAudio stated that they were testing a TPA32XX chip based amp, so it's a more than reasonable assumption...

I do not expect that to happen due to cost, bulk, and weight. I'd expect instead an appropriate implementation of a capacitance multiplier as in the Volt+D.
I agree, they would be shooting themselves in the foot. Except that a cap multiplier is mostly good for DC smoothing, and 32xx are already pretty good at rejecting supply ripple from a reasonably well executed SMPS, so for me a CM is much less necessary than putting enough real capacitance on board the amp.

I am thinking about building a mono open baffle Bluetooth speaker based on a TPA3110 with Bluetooth board. Is there any reason why I could not connect both outputs to a single (8 Ohm) speaker?

I will be very glad if they include a transformer in the design and skip switching power supply ....:)

TPA32xx amps sound excellent even with switching supplies and are even designed to be less sensitive to ripple IIRC. My TPA3251 uses a Connection SMPS and sounds so good I never bothered to mod or go linear, which was a first for me.

I agree, they would be shooting themselves in the foot. Except that a cap multiplier is mostly good for DC smoothing, and 32xx are already pretty good at rejecting supply ripple from a reasonably well executed SMPS, so for me a CM is much less necessary than putting enough real capacitance on board the amp.

Agreed.

would this procedure work the same for tpa32xx?
Not exactly, but the same general idea applies.
You need a power supply, an amp board, and a case that fits them and all the other bits like panel connectors and wiring. The idea is the same, but the budget is closer to $200 at present for a single 3255 system.
I'm not sure monoblocks are necessary with 3255, there's no crosstalk problem on this chip, I'd only consider monoblocks for doubling the power output and one board is pretty powerful already in domestic terms.
A single 3255 potentially can be configured as 1,2,3 or 4 channels anyway, depending on the board you choose. At the moment I would be looking at 3e audio's 3255 stereo amp board, you just missed the group buy on the DIYaudio forum. :)
So if you follow that video too religiously you'll get into trouble. If you draw it all out carefully first and do the research then I think you should get a good amp, or just buy one, though there aren't many really good quality pre-made 325x options at the moment. Hopefully Allo will go into production.

I am thinking about building a mono open baffle Bluetooth speaker based on a TPA3110 with Bluetooth board. Is there any reason why I could not connect both outputs to a single (8 Ohm) speaker?
One reason would be that the chip is best configured in PBTL mode (mono output, see the TI datasheet for TPA3110). If you get a board that can be set up for PBTL that would be a much better solution.

One reason would be that the chip is best configured in PBTL mode (mono output, see the TI datasheet for TPA3110). If you get a board that can be set up for PBTL that would be a much better solution.

There are other mono boards on eBay but this is one I pulled up first.

https://www.ebay.com/i/172955184737?chn=ps

Thanks guys, I am aware of the mono versions readily available but I was looking for this option with Bluetooth integrated.

I guess the mono versions are targeted towards active subs so it would not make sense to integrate Bluetooth.

I've got a couple of mono boards like the one I linked and when I take the time I'll do mono blocks. The ones designed for subwoofers come with a built in crossover.

Back
Top Bottom