What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

The Mordaunt-Short MS 206:

View attachment 1442593 View attachment 1442594 View attachment 1442595 View attachment 1442596
System type 3-way
Enclosure type Bass reflex
Frequency response ± 3dB 45 - 20000 Hz
Nominal impedance 6 Ohm
Amplifier Requirements 15 - 180 W
Sensitivity (2.83V/1m) 87 dB
Tweeter 25 mm (1 in)
Midrange 150 mm (5.9 in)
Woofer 150 mm (5.9 in)
Dimensions (H x W x D) 900x188x315 mm / 35.4x7.4x12.4 in.

I think that the sensitivity sounds higher than that, or at least in comparison to what is claimed for other speakers I've used. They don't have to have high volume to sound full, which is nice, considering that things are a bit cramped around here. Regular listening level for me is about 1/4 of the dial on the Realistic STA-2250. It seems like a pretty good sonic match. Considering the size of the woofers, these put out pretty impressively defined and disciplined bass. They are up on spikes.

Right now, I've got the Sears Silvertone/Wharfedale Triton set up as a preamp for a Rotel amp. That might be too plummy for the NEARs, which are pretty laid back. I might strip back and loan the Rotel out for a bit to my brother-in-law, for his place in the country, till I have something hard to drive, but I'll experiment a bit first. The digital tuner on the Realistic is . . . not so good. I love the thing otherwise. It's so beautifully fugly, it should be paired with some Rega Elas, I think. The Silvertone tuner is excellent, and it's fun to look at when the dial is illuminated. I'm listening to radio for a bit every day, to get some familiarity with the area and some cultural clues about where I'm living now.

Guy I bought these from was surprised at how little interest there seemed to be, flogging them on that social media site's marketplace. He was replacing them with some of these, as his family are growing and his wife wanted the space freed up. Between Sonos and Marie Kondo telling wives that they should get rid of their husbands' gear if it doesn't give them joy, there are still lots of opportunities out there. Unless I see something mind-blowing, though, I'm going to try to stand pat for a bit while I take care of business.

Long story short, these sound weighty, precise and tight, whether I'm listening to

or

"if it doesn't give them joy" or if it doesn't give HER joy? Yiikes.

View attachment 1442593 View attachment 1442594 View attachment 1442595 View attachment 1442596
System type 3-way
Nominal impedance 6 Ohm
Tweeter 25 mm (1 in)
Midrange 150 mm (5.9 in)
Woofer 150 mm (5.9 in)

I think that the sensitivity sounds higher than that, or at least in comparison to what is claimed for other speakers I've used. They don't have to have high volume to sound full, which is nice, considering that things are a bit cramped around here. Regular listening level for me is about 1/4 of the dial on the Realistic STA-2250. It seems like a pretty good sonic match. Considering the size of the woofers, these put out pretty impressively defined and disciplined bass. They are up on spikes.

Right now, I've got the Sears Silvertone/Wharfedale Triton set up as a preamp for a Rotel amp. That might be too plummy for the NEARs, which are pretty laid back. I might strip back and loan the Rotel out for a bit to my brother-in-law, for his place in the country, till I have something hard to drive, but I'll experiment a bit first. The digital tuner on the Realistic is . . . not so good. I love the thing otherwise. It's so beautifully fugly, it should be paired with some Rega Elas, I think. The Silvertone tuner is excellent, and it's fun to look at when the dial is illuminated. I'm listening to radio for a bit every day, to get some familiarity with the area and some cultural clues about where I'm living now.

Guy I bought these from was surprised at how little interest there seemed to be, flogging them on that social media site's marketplace. He was replacing them with some of these, as his family are growing and his wife wanted the space freed up. Between Sonos and Marie Kondo telling wives that they should get rid of their husbands' gear if it doesn't give them joy, there are still lots of opportunities out there. Unless I see something mind-blowing, though, I'm going to try to stand pat for a bit while I take care of business.

Long story short, these sound weighty, precise and tight, whether I'm listening to

or

System type 3-way
Nominal impedance 6 Ohm
Tweeter 25 mm (1 in)
Midrange 150 mm (5.9 in)
Woofer 150 mm (5.9 in)

or

download (6).jpg

Very nice. very similiar in specs and appearance to a set of KLH towers I have.

Attachments

• download (6).jpg
    download (6).jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 2
496_davidgilmour_lp_canada_front.jpg

Good Morning fellow music fans. I just picked up this new copy of Frank Zappa's Over-nite Sensation. This album is hard to find in a 1st issue so I bought a 180g rereleased. So far sounds like a solid mix. A little muddy but can be overcome with settings. With Frank's music person's either love or hate it. I feel he is just one hell of a musician. So give me our dirty love!
O, can I interest you in a pair of zircon encrusted tweezers???
15520517809214350658742720198887.jpg 15520518242746100436236483850001.jpg 15520518570038436913220953490604.jpg 1552051891221857162563585462458.jpg

Back
Top Bottom