Klipsch Craigslist find..

Raptor727

Newbie out to collect!
Hey guys how's it going, I made a purchase on some klipsch gear last night and was horrified when I hooked them up, the two towers are Tangent 4000 and the subwoofer is a sw15ii? Correct me if I'm wrong on the sub but it's a powered 15 with a passive 15" radiator a monster none the less. Anyhow the towers the midrange is piercing loud with literally no treble from the tweeter and hardly any bass whatsoever. I'm going to pull them apart tonight and see if everything is hooked up properly just wanted to see if there was any suggestions on them.

As for the subwoofer the passive radiator rattles terribly with pretty much any amount of excursion so I googled and only came up with recone kits which I am pretty familiar with installing recones from my car audio days but never a passive recone. Anything I should know with that or any other recommendations? I apologize for the long drawn out post just needing a little knowledge if you don't mind thanks

issues apparently. Tear into them and report back. Troubleshoot the easy stuff first like making sure all drivers work, no lose wires, hooked up correctly etc.
If you are running the towers through the sub, try then direct instead. Maybe something is up with the sub crossover.

I ran them direct figured the sub may have some funky crossover setting but same thing, the towers I am really bummed about been wanting to try some older Klipsch for a long time just hoping I don't have to spend a fortune to get them up and running, I'll tear into them tonight and report back with pics if it will let me.

The Tangent is basically a Heresy in a larger, ported cabinet and is regarded for it's good bass response. It sounds like it may be a crossover issue.

I am hoping it won't be because then I will buy them Bob Crites upgrades I keep on reading about and they don't seem too cheap from what I have seen.
Wife is already upset about all speakers I purchased already haha

Let us know what you find inside. I have some Tangent 5000 and they are super with Crites Ti diaphragms and new caps.

Possible the previous owner blew the tweeters by overdriving them. Always a good idea to listen to any speakers you are thinking about buying, and this is why.

Check the screw tightness on the sub passive. There is very little to 'rattle' on a PR so it may be the frame against the cabinet. It should not need a recone unless the cone is damaged. If the surround is damaged it needs a new surround. On active drivers, the voice coil can rub against the magnet causing buzz or rattle, or the spider can tear or come loose from the cone or basket. None of those parts are on a PR.

Depending on what you find inside, you might have to repair the crossovers, or just replace fried drivers. But if the tweeters are fried you can just drop in Crites diaphragms, excellent upgrade. If so, would at least recap the crossovers, if you are comfortable doing that. The diaphragms make a bigger difference in treble smoothness than caps, in my experience.

Thanks for the advice I removed the passive radiator and the sub played wonderfully at high xmax the radiator didn't have a rattle when I tapped the cone but it does have a couple spots where he glued the cone to "repair" it may be enough to make it unbalanced I suppose during excursion

Never done diaphrams need some for my jbl s312's also but those are ridiculously hard to find for some reason, guess it's time to learn how to do them

They are a simple 5-minute job on the Klipsch horn tweeters. Takes longer to remove the driver from the cabinet than it does to install the diaphragm.

FWIW two different pair of Klipsch speakers I bought had a blown tweeter (Heresy and Chorus II, same tweeters). IDK if they are fragile, or if folks are trying to see how load their system can play?

Easy fix with Crites Ti domes.

Ok so pulled apart one of my tangent speakers and there is no crossover at all lol I kid you not it is all hardwired

Attachments

• 15520960217211407727689.jpg
    15520960217211407727689.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 104
Good Lord I lost on this deal lol

Not to rub it in, but why wouldn’t listen to them before buying?
I’ve bought speakers before listening, but it was because they were a no-brainer cheap deal.

Plenty of easy fix options with Klipsch though. When you’re done, you’ll have some great speakers!
Good luck!

Hardwired? Like what, the woofers are connected direct to the inputs? What are the tweeters connected to? Did someone swipe the crossovers?

Argh. I feel for ya man. It is one of the ten commandments of audio, always listen to any gear before purchasing to make sure of its operating condition. Unless it's being sold specifically as non-working. We've all been there though. I've bought speakers with incorrect drivers.

Only once though, eh? So you got that going for you.

I did listen before I figured since they were wired through sub it was the reasoning. What's odd is it looks all original it's not some hackjob but relatively neat and original looking. Either way I am pretty satisfied with just the sub this far it has added some much needed definition to my home theater. I have set the towers to the side for now until I can afford the 200+ needed to repair them for tweeters and x-overs

And I got a nice Yamaha receiver works great with it and it all cost 200 so I figured what the hell I originally bought just for the towers but the sub and receiver were a nice bonus

Back
Top Bottom