Best Marantz receiver...on a budget

Jdizzle

I’m trying to slowly upgrade my system and want to start with my receiver. I’d like to spend no more than $300 and would love to get a Marantz. Eventually I’d like to spend more money on better gear, this is just where I’m starting. I currently have a Nikko R-25 and it needs to go...

What is an acceptable model Marantz on a severe budget?

There are so many good receivers from that era. Why limit yourself to Marantz? Unless, of course, you really want a Marantz.

There are lots of great SS receivers you can get at or below your price point. Some underrated candidates might include Realistic, Onkyo, Technics or Sherwood. Vintage Marantz can be pretty spendy. Do you have your heart set on Marantz?

Virtually any of the 22xx or 23xx series are quite nice. When looking at these units, the most important things would be, in no particular order, if it has enough power to drive your speaker to a level you prefer and the condition of the unit.

Remember, these are between 40 - 50 years old and may need work soon. If you go for a "restored" unit, you'll pay a pretty penny and, even then, some people exaggerate the work that was done on them. Some scuzzballs will replace some light bulbs, clean the faceplate, squirt some cleaner into the controls, and try to pass it off as restored.

You might find a 2230 in that range it's 30 wpc so you need speakers that arent to power hungry. It's great sounding receiver

There are so many good receivers from that era. Why limit yourself to Marantz? Unless, of course, you really want a Marantz.

Do you have your heart set on Marantz?

I won’t lie I’m a sucker for a name on a piece of equipment, but I understand that you pay extra for that name. I really just like them aesthetically and have heard great things about their performance. But my main requirements are 1) performance on a budget and 2) looks cool. I like the blue lights.

Might find a 2240 for that price but it's probably original and will need work sooner or later. They seem to be less common and less desirable than the 2245 although I think they're just as nice.

Pound-for-pound, watt-for-watt Marantz is some of the spendiest vintage gear out there … not sure why.
Luxman, Kenwood, Sansui made some really nice gear that won't set you back as much.
Have never figured out the Marantz premium.

Agree. I have some nice gear but just can't bring myself to pay that "Marantz Tax". I have two well regarded 125 wpc receivers in good shape one was much less than the going price for a 2230 and the other was about the same.

and would love to get a Marantz.
Can you please explain why you would love to get a Marantz, knowing that you will get half the amount for the money but it will be a Marantz? The tax has gotten steep in the past year or two and I'm ok with someone that must have the brand, but look at the comments saying it is too much, try something else. Just curious as others are Why??

The 2238b might be found within budget.

I certainly do not want to rain on a parade. I would love to get a nice model Marantz myself, but only if one came near at an acceptable price. I see an SR2000 local right now for less than $120.... not too shabby.

With Marantz prices going the way they are, it will be hard to find a quality unit in your price range. I own a 2275 that was completely restored. Love it, but really paid a lot more than I should have for it.

2230 can be had for 300. Lowest powered marantz that has pre outs for you to hook up higher powered amp at a later date. Then you would use it as a preamp/tuner. I run mine with a 250m which is good for more than 125wpc with meters.

Are the last 2 digits in the model the wpc, as a general rule with Marantz?

Yes, but sometimes the power interfered with the model number series. A 2325 is a 22 series with 125 watts. They had to put the extra "one" somewhere. :rockon:

May I suggest that you become a subscriber and jump on barter town? It’s a nice (caution: addictive) way to see what gear is out there. You can place a WTB and your budget and see what surfaces. A restored Tandberg receiver sold recently near your budget.

A small detail: The Marantz receivers look really nice in the optional wood sleeve but it may be a pricey upgrade if not included.

Good luck with your search!

I don't know anything about the Nikko R-25 you mentioned but Nikko did make some receivers worth owning. Some of them have the blue dial lights. I own a NR-815 and a 1015 that I enjoy. I haven't heard one but their "monster" NR-1415 seems to be quite desirable. 'Just saying, I wouldn't count out all the Nikko receivers if you happen to bump into one for a good price.

As for a more common brand name, often the Pioneer SX-727 and 828 (top of the line in that series) can be found for not much money. Both have nice looking wood veneer cabinets. All the x2x and x3x series of Pioneer receivers have the blue dial lights. Lately, an 828 has been getting more play at my house than a Marantz 2270.

My first real receiver back in the 70s was the 2245, a wonderful unit but those would be rare at your price point. I currently have a 2216 that was completely restored by a tech buddy, which he sold me at a very low price...that was a deal for sure, but you might find one of them in good repair for around your budget. Nice phono and tuner section, not a ton of power; with phono, normal listening volume is at about 12:30 position, for cd/tape, around 10 o'clock on volume. A very nice receiver for a normal to mid sized listening room but would be stretching it for a larger room. Good luck!

Pound-for-pound, watt-for-watt Marantz is some of the spendiest vintage gear out there … not sure why.
Luxman, Kenwood, Sansui made some really nice gear that won't set you back as much.
Have never figured out the Marantz premium.

Have you had one? The thing about the 22xx series is that from the lowly 2216 to the mighty 2270 is that they are built crazy well. They used the same quality knobs and switches from bottom to top of the line. They were designed to be simple and built to last. Like the sound or not, they have their own sound that people have loved for almost 50 years. And nothing looks like a Marantz 22xx series, especially in the wood case. There is just something about the entire package that other receivers just cant match.

All that being said, yes, they are more expensive and one can often pick up another brand in better condition for the same price. I have had a few 22xx units and loved them but now I have a Marantz 250 power amp with 1060 as the pre because I got a great deal on them and great trade in price on my receiver. I am into getting receivers from all kinds of brands to see the difference. I have had or have now Fishers, Sansuis, Realistics, JVCs, Quadraflexs, Kenwoods, Pioneers and Sonys.

If there were a Marantz receiver in fair condition and any other brand in excellent condition at the same price it is a no brainer to take the other brand. But after hearing a 22xx series in new or rebuilt condition you will realize why so many people feel they way they do about them.

20181218_091413.jpg

Back
Top Bottom