Severe laptop damage ?

At least in the past few years, for me, with this Gateway laptop, which came with Win 8, when I was updating the monthly Win 8 OS, MS offered to either upgrade the OS TO 8.1 or Win 10.
I elected to do both, on two separate SS drives, by cloning the first drive with 8 on it, then letting MS update to 8.1, then cloning that drive, and then letting MS upgrade the 8.1 to Win 10, which is what I`m currently using at the moment..

But, I rotate 3 different OS drives in this laptop : (1) Win 7 Ultimate, 8.1, and 10..
Not sure why I chose to do this, other then to explore each OS, and entertain myself !! :crazy:

Be aware that Win 10 OS is pretty good, but has a butt load of background running programs and privacy invasive settings, that by default are engaged, and if a concern, should be tracked down and disabled, or so one might think, if are in fact, truly disabled !

I believe, if one can find on line, the Win 10 download assistant, download/install it and run it, it should scan the computer, and run/download, and install Win 10, at least that`s how I was able to get it in this machine after the MS free Win 10 upgrade had expired, and worked also for my B-I-L`s desk top last year when he finally wished to upgrade his Win 7 OS for free.

I`m sure I have the Win 10 download assistant stored around here on probably a flash drive, and one or two of my multiple Win 10 upgraded desk tops.

Just some suggestive noise from me, explore/research, as you see fit.

Kind regards, Bill "Ferrous Oxide"

I just put two and two together and finished Schubert's final symphony:

If there is ONLY ONE NEW DELL, DO NOT use the windows 10 product key from
that laptop.

Microsoft may de-activate the DELL's windows 10 to activate it on one of your
Gateways.

and if you decide to go ahead, your father may disinherit you then say

too bad
so sad
your dad

disclaimer: this is tongue-in-cheek for those who have no sense of humor.

I just put two and two together and finished Schubert's final symphony:

If there is ONLY ONE NEW DELL, DO NOT use the windows 10 product key from
that laptop.

Microsoft may de-activate the DELL's windows 10 to activate it on one of your
Gateways.

and if you decide to go ahead, your father may disinherit you then say

too bad
so sad
your dad

disclaimer: this is tongue-in-cheek for those who have no sense of humor.
Better off sticking to Windows 8... One license per pic Microsoft sucks. Greedy whale pirates:dunno::jump:
Gotten find away to find it lost on wiped hardrive or free online ?wish Id had backed I up first :(
Unsure if this laptop can run 10 without being grogged or slow. Down ?

slow down.

you want free? try Linux. be prepared. not as easy as the Linux fan bois make it out to be.
and if you think you have problems with windows, just wait.

you need to describe things. if the drive is wiped and has not been written to, then
you can download a drive recovery app, google is your best friend.

always backup. never wipe hard drive: clone to new disk, keep old until everything works
and then, and only if you sell or give it away. then wipe the drive.

all laptops that run 7,8,8.1 will run 10 better and faster. and safer. and if its slower
you have a different problem than just Windows. then there are cheap upgrades.

tip: try your Craig's List for a suitable broken laptop that has a windows 10
product key on the bottom. google suitable.

tip: you can get the windows 10 download free. search and you can find the right
process to get a new, fresh, clean Windows 10 product key.

your choice: 1) unwipe hard disk, 2) get password retriever software, 3) buy cheap
W10 product key off broken laptop, 4) find cheap w10 product key,

all four options, including search for how-to, is less than ten minutes

and here we are at post 145 and you haven't done what I suggested at post 8. 137 posts ago,

dude - are we going to do this forever?

Better off sticking to Windows 8... One license per pic Microsoft sucks. Greedy whale pirates:dunno::jump:
Gotten find away to find it lost on wiped hardrive or free online ?wish Id had backed I up first :(
Unsure if this laptop can run 10 without being grogged or slow. Down ?

Don`t know how your laptop would perform w/10 ?

I strip off/uninstall/disable all unnecessary programs on all my computers, to the extent that they look like Win. 98, but perform much faster because of the improved performance of the later OS`s !!

Most are resource sucking feel good/look good computer friendly crap for "Joe & Jane Six pack", that I don`t want or ever need !!

No desktop display pictures on any of them, just plain blue utilitarian background with the handful of original OS programs/apps + the few free programs that I use..

Maxed out on all my Win 7, 8.1, and 10 machines the normally available performance settings, and no power reduction(save the planet) green settings are engaged, etc.

Take this for what it's worth. I have Windows 8.1 on my desktop all in one computer, and I have Windows Defender activated (comes with Windows 8) and whenever Malwarebytes offers a free trial of their premium anti virus I use it as well. I've noticed the paid version of Malwarebytes does a good job and doesn't cost much annually either and there have been threats that Windows Defender recognized that Malwarebytes didn't.

Running both will do the job and not cost you much.

If you can't afford to pay for anti virus, I suggest using Windows 8, activating Windows Defender, and using the free version of Malwarebytes. Also use CCleaner to keep it running good.

Just my opinions.

Last edited:
slow down.

you want free? try Linux. be prepared. not as easy as the Linux fan bois make it out to be.

I'm using Linux Lite 3.8 on my laptop and I love it (runs better than with Windows IMO). I also have an anti virus program called Clam TK installed on it which IMO is more of a cleaner because I start it manually.

I think the OP is concerned with doing alot of gaming. I'm not into that so I'm not sure about gaming on Linux but I believe there's a program called Wine that has to do with it.

The OP's daddy pays a tech guy almost $300 a year. He should be called to earn his keep.
He paid him more last year like $120-250 a month to back up date because he didn’t trust iCloud ..... wtf ?i lost the windows 10 free download but someone said there’s hardwear tofind fully restored data ? Such as this.
I think I told Himalayas you could buy a new external hard drive each month it’s cheaper..

Attachments

• 643AC7C0-FD36-41BD-970D-7FD1D44C9AAA.jpeg
    643AC7C0-FD36-41BD-970D-7FD1D44C9AAA.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 63354FFE-EB1C-4667-932B-B2D4C7FC6019.jpeg
    63354FFE-EB1C-4667-932B-B2D4C7FC6019.jpeg
    77.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, I'd wait until support for Windows 8 runs out before moving to 10. 10 is a resource hog anyway.

Microsoft was pushing hard to give 10 to everybody that didn't have it, and Major Corporations aren't going to give something away free to everybody out there. That told me...Stay Away.

Honestly, I'd wait until support for Windows 8 runs out before moving to 10. 10 is a resource hog anyway.

Microsoft was pushing hard to give 10 to everybody that didn't have it, and Major Corporations aren't going to give something away free to everybody out there. That told me...Stay Away.
Yeah didn’t think restore would get rid of it , shoulda had a backup . Probably won’t make a difference as a slow as my laptop model is . Possibly even slow it down .

006960B2-C2A2-4EC1-AF89-A0FB809916CA.jpeg
Actually got another 14 day free trial of Malwarebytes today.:thumbsup:
any tips for securing my charger plug output so it doesn’t break like my other laptop?
Design flaw in gateway.
Don’t have to worry about crazy cars anymore but it could be damaged from wear and tear too ??
What’s the best cheap laptop cool mat mine is not very good . It’s a old Walmart model .
I usually uS malearbytes free now I get so many free premium trials ?
I’ve not downloaded it Yet, fresh restored.

Last edited:
Charger plug port - I wouldn't worry about it. The laptop casing should hold up if it's not abused or damaged on accident.

Cooling pad - I picked one up cheap at Roses on Whipple a few years ago and I'm still using it.

Malwarebytes free premium trials - If you have Malwarebytes free downloaded on your machine, you'll get a couple offers a year to use a 14 day trial of the premium to try to hook ya.I'm betting if you download the free version today, you'll get a premium trial shortly after because like I said, i got the trial offer yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom